The Sewing Place

Interfacing question

WildAtlanticWay

Interfacing question
« on: May 01, 2019, 17:09:24 PM »
My sewing tutor had recommended using a flexible soft and stretchy cotton interfacing called Stayflex and she gave me some of hers for a project I was doing.

Unfortunately, I’ve no idea where she bought hers from so I’m trying to find it online and Amazon has this:
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004BP2OUO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1WUUK7EBFTPLY&psc=1

Do you think it’s the same sort of thing?
The sewing class has finished for the year so I won’t see her again until September.  :(

Ohsewsimple

Re: Interfacing question
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 17:25:53 PM »
Wouldn’t think so if it is stretchy.  Pellon is American.  Not heard of Stayflex myself but came across this. 
https://www.stonefabrics.co.uk/product/h0031/
 You could always give them a ring to ask any questions.  They are very helpful. 

What do you need it for?

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 17:26:30 PM »
I Googled 'stayflex' and got lots of hits - including Ebay, Tia Knight and Fabricland - and a couple of Irish suppliers too!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

sewingj

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 17:44:15 PM »
I am totally confused about interfacing.  I usually stick to a Vilene because it is easy to get but even they have dozens of types - several of which seem to do exactly the same thing.  Do we really need all this different stuff? 

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 17:45:45 PM »
I’ve been making sun hats for myself and family members as presents and using the interfacing in the brim and sides. Tutor advised that the stretchy cotton interfacing would also be suitable for lots of different applications inc. general dressmaking. The stuff she gave me was very lightweight but irons easily and seems to be work well.

With postage costs, it’s quite expensive so I don’t want to buy more interfacing that’s wrong.
The stuff I’d bought previously online (unbranded) and took to the class was apparently too thin and a waste of time.  :S

Is there a general cotton interfacing that’s your normal ‘go to’ brand?

I don’t have an eBay account as more often than not, they won’t post to Ireland.

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 20:14:34 PM »
No, not that first one - it's for bag stiffening!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 20:16:39 PM »
Ok so it doesn’t need to have any stretch.  I’ve used this before and quite like it
https://www.empressmills.co.uk/shop/vilene-range/tailoring-dress-vilene/vilene-mid-woven/

If one layer isn’t enough you can always fuse another on top.  I don’t use the general Vilene stuff because I think it’s horrible but this is a fusible woven and better than some I have seen that are unbranded.  Cheap interfacing is a waste of money as it just doesn’t do the job it’s meant for.  I usually get my interfacing from The English Couture Company.  They have this one
https://englishcouture.co.uk/shop/fine-cotton-fusible-ecc20-fusible-interfacing/

Hope this helps.

Surest1tch

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 20:32:00 PM »
I got some off ebay.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 20:47:19 PM »
I am totally confused about interfacing.  I usually stick to a Vilene because it is easy to get but even they have dozens of types - several of which seem to do exactly the same thing.  Do we really need all this different stuff?

@sewingj interfacing can be really confusing for people.  There are probably hundreds.  And interfacing isn’t necessarily a product as such.  It is a layer used in the construction of a garment to support certain areas and often to give a specific look.  If you get to look inside a couture made garment, particularly a jacket, you may find there are several different types and weights used, all performing a different task.  It's a matter of trialing them on your fashion fabric to see what works.  As regards fusible versus sew in, that's a matter of personal choice.  With something transparent like chiffon or organza I’d use self fabric to avoid show through. 

And no we probably don’t need all those available but it’s nice to have a choice.  You may have 6 people all making the same pattern and all using a different interfacing because they all want a different effect.  I’ve often been asked, very often by irate people, why pattern companies don’t tell you what interfacing to use.  But of course, they have no idea what type or weight of fabric you will be using.  Sometimes we have to use our own brains and do some tests just as we would sample buttonholes and techniques on on our fabric to see how it behaves and if we like the effect.