The Sewing Place

Nice Bow Tie Tutorial

b15erk

Nice Bow Tie Tutorial
« on: May 02, 2019, 09:55:17 AM »
I needed to make a bow tie for Theo’s Ringmaster costume, and had a quick look on YT mainly to look at fastenings.

The video which impressed me most, and made a lovely BowTie, was this one

It‘s a Michael Coates video aka The Sewing Guru, or the English Tailor, and although his delivery is sometimes a bit annoying, this bow tie is lovely.

Hope this is of use to someone.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Vezelay

Re: Nice Bow Tie Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 10:28:15 AM »
Great, thanks @b15erk. Bow tie has been on my to do list for a while (Xmas gifts) so no excuse now. I've dug out the hardware I bought last year from EBay - £1 for 5 sets. Nice quick make :).

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 11:21:36 AM »
@Vezelay, the bow tie is really nice, but on this one, I decided to do a simple Velcro fastening.  I'd be interested to know which Ebay shop you used for your fastenings, I couldn't find anything suitable for a little boy.

I've attached a pic of the one I made for Theo.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 13:27:12 PM »
It's good to have a recommendation for fiddly little projects such as this, thanks. I made a poppy bow tie for  :woof: Max for November using a pattern and tut from a magazine but needed to make the neck band longer and it was a tad more tricky than I'd have liked. However, it looks great on him (mama speaking)  ;)
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 16:04:42 PM »
Anyone want Bow Tie fixings I have oodles.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 16:07:18 PM »
Which type do you have Im?  I could do with some, but wasn't sure which were suitable. The adjustable ones look complicated, and the clip on's downright dangerous!

Jessie

Vezelay

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 18:20:01 PM »
@Vezelay, the bow tie is really nice, but on this one, I decided to do a simple Velcro fastening.  I'd be interested to know which Ebay shop you used for your fastenings, I couldn't find anything suitable for a little boy.

I'm sure Velcro is best for a young child's version. Mine was for a 22 year old and came from China as I wasn't in a hurry - that seller doesn't do them at the moment. Just put "bow tie hardware" or bow tie clips" into EBay search and you'll find loads of the three piece adjustable ones as demo'd in the video.