The Sewing Place

New Coverstitch Machine.

Sewbusy

New Coverstitch Machine.
« on: May 03, 2019, 08:54:24 AM »
Following the debacle and demise of 'The Old One' I visited Franklins Salisbury and following much discussion re the benefits, advantages and disadvantages of various makes and examination of the available options at their store I opted for a smaller financial outlay.

I'm just getting back into sewing and could not really justify the cost of what could be a 'white elephant'

This is what I bought. https://www.franklinsgroup.com/product/britannia-cs4000-coverstitch/

I purchased the Accessories Kit, will need to practise using them later.

Played around with the machine last night and will do more today. Initial thoughts are that it's excellent value for the money, a relatively small sum compared to the big name machines.

Easier and more straight forward to thread, particularly the looper! and less noisy than "The Old One' , perfect stitch quality using various fabrics

Will update this thread later as I do more.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 09:22:45 AM by Sewbusy »

toileandtrouble

Re: New Coverstitch Machine.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 16:03:40 PM »
That looks good. I wanted a belt loop  for my machine. My accessories are very expensive.  Hope it works well for you.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

aprilla

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 16:18:34 PM »
Wow Sewbusy, that sounds like a win! Well wear :)

And thanks for posting. I'd done some coverstitch lusting and had more or less decided on one but just couldn't bring myself to make the commitment. I'm just back to sewing as a hobby and guess I was worried it could become a 'white elephant' too ... This looks like a great buy, but I'd never even heard of it until your post. Please do keep us updated on how you're getting along with it.

I found this review - sounds excellent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2pug89SMFc
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 16:21:05 PM by aprilla »

Sewbusy

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 16:43:44 PM »
@aprilla It was my friend who went with me yesterday  who first saw this machine advertised and demonstrated on here.      https://www.sewingquarter.com/products/britannia-cs4000-cover-stitch-machine/DSKF38/?fbclid=IwAR1Txa5gHPpgO8UBbUOlgbuip-b4GJItpK--iZstdELOSAV7NJtU_Po-arc

In Franklins the sales person who showed me the machine and discussed other overstitch machines was the same person that was on the programme. My friend said "I thought I'd seen you somewhere before!"

aprilla

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 19:57:26 PM »
@Sewbusy  LOL sounds like it was fun shopping.

Thanks, I've found the programme at
https://www.sewingquarter.com/catchup-details/?from=2019-04-28T08:00:00&to=2019-04-28T09:00:00
... going to watch it now. For anyone who doesn't want to watch the whole thing, coverstitch info begins around 54 minutes  :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 20:50:40 PM by aprilla »

aprilla

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 00:25:16 AM »
@Sewbusy  I've been wondering how you're getting on with the Britannia CS4000? Are you happy with it?
My urge to purchase has returned  0_0

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 08:29:44 AM »
I ordered the Britannia CS4000 last night.  They had a couple of ex-display models available with £50 off too - although I decided to go for new and shiny.  ('They' being the Britannia website.)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 08:31:34 AM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

aprilla

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 10:00:40 AM »
@Acorn Yippee for you!! Hope you love it  <3

They are out of stock at the Franklins shop when I was looking last night or I would have bought there and then. There must have been something in the air!

I had to go searching for other availability. I've written to both the Britannia website and Six Penny Memories about it, asking about delivery. I'm in Ireland so generally take this step as P&P varies a lot, from free to crazy. Whoever has the better P&P rate (or answers first), I'm going to get it and the accessories.

Update: I've had a reply from Six Penny Memories and their accessories pack is discounted 50% .... they are calculating P&P for me, things are looking good :)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 10:46:00 AM by aprilla »

Elnnina

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 11:04:21 AM »
Well done Acorn, now you will be really set up for all stitching requirements in the future.  How long do you have to wait for the Coverstitch to arrive?

Acorn

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2019, 12:21:59 PM »
I have just emailed Britannia to find out - it may be that they are accepting advance orders (although I would hope that they would have said this was the case).  They were expecting stock in late July though, and this is definitely late July!  It does seem a little odd that Franklins are still out of stock though, since they are the same company.

Acorn

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2019, 12:32:47 PM »
Ooh - I have just had an automated email saying that they have finished processing my order.  That's usually shop-speak for 'it's packed and ready to go'!   :D

aprilla

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2019, 12:33:18 PM »
The Franklins website says out of stock, and another site I can't remember the name of also said out of stock, and I just took it as they were sold out. And I thought it a good sign, a popular machine (or price) but I didn't ask about actual availability.

I would have shopped Franklins as I was on a roll and would like to say how I came to them from here (this thread) but I was happy to mention the YouTube video when making enquiries from Six Penny Memories.
I'm checking my emails every 5 minutes, like a kid LOL

aprilla

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2019, 12:34:01 PM »
@Acorn  :)  :)  :)

Acorn

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2019, 13:34:39 PM »
Apparently they had a big run on them from selling on the Sewing Quarter, and had to get more made.

aprilla

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2019, 16:07:13 PM »
Kim at Six Penny Memories has been very helpful today and I've bought the Britannia CS4000 Coverstitch and foot set from her/them - Yippee!!
Now, I think I need  :toast:  :gin:

(no reply from the query I sent to britanniasewing.com yet)