The Sewing Place

New Coverstitch Machine.

Sewbusy

Re: New Coverstitch Machine.
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2019, 09:16:35 AM »
@aprilla I haven't had a great deal of time to use it, having work done in the house/garden including revamping the sewing room, old sewing desk gone and two new(to me) ones in so a complete rearrangement.Loads of fabric to sort and put in boxes etc. but now I have one very long surface which can accommodate at least three machines with good space between and another desk where I have the overlocker.

I have used the Brittania Coverstitch for hemming and attaching transparent elastic and what I have done I'm pleased with the machine. Compare to the Babylock Evolve I did have, the Brittania is not quite so refined shall we say, a little like driving an Audi Quattro and then replacing it with a Skoda albeit a very efficient one lol. However, for the price in comparison it's a very good buy.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 10:05:36 AM by Sewbusy »

aprilla

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2019, 11:27:52 AM »
Thanks @Sewbusy it's good to know you've done a bit with it without any issues. Your car comparison makes perfect sense and I think - thanks to your original posting about it - I've made the right choice for me. I'm a Skoda kind of sewer  0_0

Now I'm looking at my room and rearranging it all in my head, but I'll wait to do anything until after it gets here.

Acorn

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2019, 10:28:34 AM »
Oooh!  "Your order Britannia Sewing is due for delivery by DHL Parcel UK.  Your parcel is expected to be delivered on Tuesday."

:D
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sewbusy

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2019, 12:37:58 PM »
@Acorn Great, get you different fabric scraps ready for practising.

Acorn

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2019, 15:34:23 PM »
It's lovely!  I don't have anything to compare it to, but it seems smooth and solid, the bits I've tried have stitched beautifully and it has that lovely new machine smell (Mr Acorn say it's the smell of plastic with just a hint of oil...  >< ).

I now have my embrodiery machine, overlocker and coverstitcher on the dining table, and my old faithful Pfaff and Featherweight with buttonholer in my study/sewing room.  I'm set up for anything!

My only criticism would be that it doesn't have any sort of cover - not even a floppy plastic one, although it came in a pretty tough plastic bag which will work well as a dust cover.

maliw

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2019, 17:12:19 PM »
There you are @Acorn, your next project - a cover for your new friend, enjoy.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

sleepingwolf

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2019, 17:23:19 PM »
I know how you feel @Acorn Mine arrived a couple of hours ago and has just been unpacked.  I love shiny new toys and this one is really shiny.  0_0

Acorn

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2019, 17:40:54 PM »
Is yours a Britannia as well @sleepingwolf?  Because it really is shiny, isn't it!!

sleepingwolf

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2019, 17:44:33 PM »
Yes it is!  I've been stalking the Britannia website for weeks waiting for them to come back in stock.  I'm so impressed with it, even the foot pedal feels nice and sturdy.

aprilla

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2019, 18:48:05 PM »
I'm still waiting for mine, don't expect it until Thursday/Friday. So glad to hear you are enjoying your machines Acorn and sleepingwolf ... though it's making me quite impatient!

Acorn

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2019, 19:08:24 PM »
It was beautifully packaged too - but I warn you that if you have ordered the accessories as well they'll be in a separate box on top of the machine's box, and they may well rattle - fear not, it isn't the machine!!

Shiny...  :loveit:

Sewbusy

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2019, 06:32:08 AM »
@Acorn Ooh another happy buyer enjoy the practising.

Must admit I haven't had time to try any of the accessories yet, but considering the relatively cheap cost of the machine and accessories I don't mind them sitting there for a while. I have Babylock feet and accessories which cost £300+ and have never been used (don't have the machine now). I promised myself and Mikerb1972 that I would eta. NOT do any sewing until the sewing room(and other areas) were completely sorted!

I thought there was a plastic cover, but if there was it's hidden under one pile or another-somewhere. However if you want to make one I have some lightweight PUL which is ideal for the purpose. Let me know and I'll post a piece.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 08:51:48 AM by Sewbusy »

aprilla

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2019, 08:37:53 AM »
oh wow @Acorn ... hearing a rattle must have given you the heebie jeebies! Thanks for the heads up

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2019, 12:50:28 PM »
For those with this machine
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a2pug89SMFc

aprilla

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2019, 23:40:27 PM »
@Ohsewsimple That's the Six-Penny Memories video. After I watched that I went looking for availability and sent off a few emails about availability etc. The only reply I had was from Kim at Six-Penny Memories who produced that video. Well, I did have one from Britannica but it was an automated response and I've heard nothing since.... bad business, but I don't mind as I've since bought one from Six-Penny Memories, I'm hoping it'll arrive tomorrow.

If you find more videos I hope you'll post them