The Sewing Place

Franklins Salisbury

Sewbusy

Franklins Salisbury
« on: May 03, 2019, 09:19:29 AM »
Visited Franklins in Salisbury yesterday, the first time I've been to the city. A relatively short journey 40plus miles.
A wonderful shop with so much to see and try, machines fabric haberdashery etc. In fact too much to take in with one visit. They are part of the Franklins Group and have other stores but also do online sales.

Extremely knowledgeable and helpful staff and the advice and information was totally impartial, no pushy sales patter, equal consideration to lower end price and top price machines. A fabulous place to spend a good few hours (and potentially lots of £££s).

They have an on-site repair shop, my initial reason for travelling there following a number of telephone conversations. You can speak to the technician in person!

And if like me you can spend hours looking at machines and they are  demonstrated with full information, an on site cloakroom facility is a huge bonus!

I may not travel there too often however having spoken to the staff knowing who I needed to speak to regarding my needsI need to, I would have no hesitation in ringing them or ordering online.

Iminei

Re: Franklins Salisbury
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 09:29:07 AM »
Theyre not too hot on fabric ... but all else is heavenly. I agree.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Flobear

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 09:38:19 AM »
I discovered the Salisbury Franklins by accident when Mr Bear and I went on a theatre trip to the Playhouse and had an hour or so to kill. I'm going there for an overlocker day in July.

I'm interested in your opinion that they're not too hot on fabric @Iminei. Perhaps that is from a Darksider's pov. I liked what I saw but perhaps that's because I only have Hobbycraft and Fabricland near me and the fabrics in Franklins seemed different.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Sewbusy

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 09:51:24 AM »
Theyre not too hot on fabric ... but all else is heavenly. I agree.

I went primarily for the machine but thought I'd look for some stretch fabric, my daughter wants me to replicate a dress she has, it's Viscose 95% and Elastane 5%. and she particularly wants a 'ditsy' pattern.

They had nothing suitable pattern wise and I did find the fabrics quite expensive albeit some nice quality stuff.

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 14:13:16 PM »
Oh Flobear .... they have fabric but a very limited range of them, especially Quilting cotton ...

but for habby, machines and servicing (Expensive; but its on site and as you so correctly said you can talk to the guy who does!)

Now if you want to go to the best Quilting Emporia (so sadly not our localish to me Hansons anymore  :(   )   ...
we need to plan a trip to Midsomer Quilting!!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Clareew

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 21:04:52 PM »
I have bought my Juki machines from them and they are great for machine servicing and also will try to sort your problem out by phone, talking you through what you need to do.