The Sewing Place

BBC1 Scotland documentary about the Singer factory in Clydebank

StitchinTime

Re: BBC Scotland documentary about the Singer factory in Clydebank
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2019, 08:31:22 AM »
@Iminei It is not on BBC Scotland, it is on BBC1 Scotland. I'm not sure if the regional variations of BBC1 and BBC2 are available on iPlayer.

Edited: This is the link to the program on iPlayer. Hopefully it will become available once it has been broadcast.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00051z7
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 08:33:38 AM by StitchinTime »

Iminei

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2019, 08:39:02 AM »
Ive found it BUT cant tape it from my tv guide onto my Plex player and dont know, until after the fact, whether it will be available to view on iplayer ... Grump!

Thx for the linky !! :)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2019, 08:40:59 AM »
I mentioned the fact that the two channels are completely different in my previous post but no-one has corrected the thread title yet. Just in case anyone is still looking for it.

@Manuela
@Iminei

Acorn

Re: BBC1 Scotland documentary about the Singer factory in Clydebank
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2019, 08:47:37 AM »
I've just edited the thread title.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Holly Berry

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2019, 09:35:12 AM »
If you go into BBC1 on iPlayer, it will default to your local region, but if you scroll down to the bottom of the page, you can change your region.

It’s allowed me to change to Scotland, but the programmes at the moment are the same across all regions. Fingers crossed it works.
Procrastination get behind me

snoozi soozi

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2019, 12:20:01 PM »
I've just watched this documentary and found it very moving, very sad how the factory came to be shut down. I had no idea of the enormity of influence Singer had and the sales around the world  :loveit: I'm particularly impressed that the reconditioned vintage machines end up in Africa helping women set up their own wee business and are able to use their creativity productively.

I also loved the parts where they showed footage of the gala days the factory held, it reminded me of the gala's that our steelworks held when I was a kid in the 70s  :)
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2019, 12:37:31 PM »
Brilliant programme. Lots of fascinating insights into a time gone by and I felt very moved when the older chap narrated  his poem about the old clock being dismantled. It’s a real shame they didn’t slap a preservation order on it.

As expected, we watched it last night with DH reminiscing about areas around Glasgow when he was a boy in the 50’s/60’s. Also, his maternal granddad was a tailor and he remembered him using a singer sewing machine etc. so I ended up listening to tales of his childhood which I always enjoy.  :D

snoozi soozi

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2019, 12:56:42 PM »
Brilliant programme. Lots of fascinating insights into a time gone by and I felt very moved when the older chap narrated  his poem about the old clock being dismantled. It’s a real shame they didn’t slap a preservation order on it.

I gasped when I saw how it was knocked down, I expected to see that it had been placed somewhere else, what a shocker. I'm sure the people of the town would have loved to have seen it in the town centre  :(
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Fiona M

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2019, 13:58:27 PM »
Hope it's going to be on player, I really want to see this!

Happymrsg

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2019, 14:23:31 PM »
Thanks so much @Manuela   for telling us about this programme and  @Holly Berry for how to find it on iPlayer. I watched it last night with OH and a friend. We really enjoyed it. Highly recommend to anyone who's not seen it.
So many interesting things and even the graphics were Fab.

Radiofan

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2019, 19:07:02 PM »
I had seen most of the old footage, but they had cleaned it up quite a bit. So glad it was more than a re-hash of old stuff.

First I had heard of the charity. Sending those beautiful machines away, and for free, it's an outrage! Mind you, I guess they just don't get used here in the UK.
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2019, 22:07:20 PM »
I enjoyed the programme. I recorded it and watched it today.

I have a vintage singer but it is stashed underneath the sewing table and I don't use it regularly.
Anyone know how I can find out how old it is and whether it was made at Clydebank?
Its the traditional black sort but I'd have to get it out of its lovely travelling case to see any more detail.

Radiofan

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2019, 22:11:50 PM »
I have a vintage singer but it is stashed underneath the sewing table and I don't use it regularly.
Anyone know how I can find out how old it is and whether it was made at Clydebank?
Its the traditional black sort but I'd have to get it out of its lovely travelling case to see any more detail.
There is a comprehensive serial number database at ismacs.net
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2019, 23:06:56 PM »
@Radiofan, that's wonderful thank you.
I now know that mine is a 201K from 1952.

Manuela

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2019, 09:14:13 AM »
@SewRuthieSews that is a great machine you have there!