The Sewing Place

Turning corners

Kad

Turning corners
« on: May 06, 2019, 14:46:19 PM »
I've been using my new Brother coverstitch machine successfully now for 4 or 5 tops but today cut out and sewed Vogue 9057 view E. Most of the tops in this pattern have an asymmetric lower hem that involves one 90° ish corner but view E has 2. I'd pinned, tacked and was merrily whizzing along on the machine and came upon the first corner whereupon I realised that I wasn't sure how to tackle it.  :S What I did do was to try and pivot about the leftmost needle and then carry on with the hemming, but wondered if anyone has a better technique for continuously coverstitching a hem that has corners?
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Efemera

Re: Turning corners
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 15:42:10 PM »
I’ve never been truly successful with pivoting and corners, to get the neatest look I’ve stopped, taken the fabric out of the machine, turned it and started sewing again. It’s a faff but it does give the best finish. Don’t forget to pull the threads to the back and tie off.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 16:30:41 PM »
Obviously I just use the bodge-it method of stop with needles raised (the fabric won't move like with a normal sewing machine), twizzle it as necessary, then off I go again  :)

Lachica

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 20:07:56 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper I'm with you. It's too slow to stop, pull threads through, start again. I'd like to know what the 'proper' way is though, I don't remember finding any info in the instruction book.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 20:19:09 PM »
Obviously I just use the bodge-it method of stop with needles raised (the fabric won't move like with a normal sewing machine), twizzle it as necessary, then off I go again  :)
Ooer! It all sounds a bit technical!  0_0 I'm not sure I could cope with twizzling.  :S
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 21:16:09 PM »
There’s a few different ways without stopping and starting.....but none of them give a sharp angle

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 09:31:44 AM »
There's some useful info here here, not sure about corner turning but there is other good stuff.

I know I've seen the technique somewhere and I'm sure it's on this YT channel, but I can't be certain.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Sewbusy

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 10:26:50 AM »
This is a decent video for curves and corners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P32AaSlBXAw