The Sewing Place

Goldhawk Road? I have fabric!

Missie

Goldhawk Road? I have fabric!
« on: May 08, 2019, 08:02:09 AM »
I've still not found any fabric online for the dress for my friend's wedding, mainly because I'm looking for 2 different fabrics that are colour matched, so I think I'm going to have to go real shopping instead of virtual.  Has anyone been to Goldhawk Road recently?  Is it still worth going to?  Does it even exist anymore (seem to recall the road was being redeveloped and retailers were having to close)?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 09:48:01 AM by Missie »

Missie

Re: Goldhawk Road?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 10:20:29 AM »
Thanks @Francesca  I have considered Walthamstow as it is nearer to me and easier to get to but not sure that they will have what I'm looking for.  It wouldn't hurt to have a look though I guess.

Tamnymore

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 11:08:43 AM »
Oooh I love Classic Textiles on Goldhawk Road though I haven't been for a few years. Are you anywhere near Woolcrest in Hackney? I've only been once but they have a huge selection at very good prices.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Missie

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 11:22:11 AM »
I'm on the same train line as Hackney.  Just had a quick look - they are wholesalers, do they sell to the public and in small amounts?  Their web address is showing as not found as well.

Tamnymore

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 16:23:22 PM »
Yes they sell to the public. I have bought fabric there. It's a big warehouse packed to the rafters. Prices very cheap.

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 06:20:18 AM »
I've still not got to Goldhawk Road. I don't have any specific fabric needs that are pushing me to go but I'd really like to have a good look around so I know what's on offer and how the prices compare with other sources.

Does anyone know of any of the shops that are particularly good for dance fabrics - something show-offy that won't break the bank. I tend to think of it being like bridal but without the budget (or the tasteful colour scheme).  ;)
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Efemera

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 08:41:35 AM »
I have to say I wasn’t that impressed with Goldhawk Road. Walthamstow was better...Fabworks and ‘The Church’ are my favourite places

Tamnymore

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 08:56:18 AM »
Oh yes Fabworks is fab and the 'Church' is a veritable temple of textiles, a chapel of cheapness, a cathedral of craft.

It must be a north/south thing..... ties up whippet outside Fabworks...... :woof: :woof: :D :D

Radiofan

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 09:18:24 AM »
Now I know where to get fabrics! See Youtube video on shopping at Goldhawk road.
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

wrenkins

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 09:33:35 AM »
I just hit 8.30 on the video to get an idea of what was going on and the lady is wearing a dress made from the fabric that I ordered yesterday on Ebay!  0_0  0_0  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Tamnymore

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 11:32:32 AM »
Is that Elspeth's dress @wrenkins? Nice fabric!

wrenkins

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 11:46:44 AM »
That's the one. @Tamnymore.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Tamnymore

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 11:52:16 AM »
Lovely fabric. You and Elspeth have good taste @wrenkins:D

Marniesews

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2019, 17:55:06 PM »
Thank you for sharing the video @Radiofan:)  It's really useful as I don't know the area at all and good to see inside some of the shops too.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Missie

Re: Goldhawk Road? I have fabric
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2019, 18:26:34 PM »
Well, last weekend was spent at Woolcrest Textiles and also Dalston Mills. Both fabulous places but not what I want.

Went to Goldhawk Road and oh my. What utterly delicious fabrics there. And Hurrah I have found some.  It’s a slightly different colour to my original plan but it co-ordinates with one of my pairs of shoes. The blue was planned for lining and chosen as it adds depth to the colour of the main fabric but I’m thinking using that to underline and get some bemberg lining. The mesh as a single layer is a better match than it looks in the picture. Now to make the dress!