The Sewing Place

Tech wizards - Embroidery file transfer wirelessly

Lachica

Tech wizards - Embroidery file transfer wirelessly
« on: May 08, 2019, 09:51:35 AM »
I hope some techy people might advise. I have lots of designs bought from Urban Threads. I've always lifted them onto USB stick from hubby's laptop. Said laptop now dead, so can't use them any more.  :devil: I have an iPad and an Android phone. I do have an On-The-Go cable (somewhere) for the phone so in theory could buy designs, download via phone...  But the phone screen is small, difficult to see designs. I've now seen a wireless memory stick advertised. Anyone used one? With iPad? (The other problem might be that smallest size is 16Gb and my Pfaff doesn't work with big memory sticks. It has a 2Gb supplied.)
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Tech wizards - Embroidery file transfer wirelessly
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 13:45:11 PM »
Is your problem getting them onto the usb stick to then transfer them to your embroidery machine?  I believe you can get an adaptor to connect usb to an IPad, would that help?

Lachica

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 17:48:26 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper yes, exactly. They're stored in my accounts with Urban Threads & embroidery library but need to load them onto usb stick to plug into my machine. I could perhaps borrow a laptop with CD reader to download files & send to Google drive but still need to get them on to a physical device to transfer to machine. @Francesca are there any wireless enabled sewing machines yet?
Mary

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 18:42:23 PM »
So something like this from a quick google, lightening to usb cable.  Not saying this will work with yours, I don't know iPads.

I'd also want to store the designs somewhere of my own, you never know what's going to happen to websites, but tha's just me, I don't trust 'em!

twopence

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 20:37:44 PM »
The charging cable that came with my IPad has a lightening connector to put in the IPad and a USB which goes into the plug.  I used the cable without the plug recently to transfer photos onto my laptop by plugging the USB into the laptop.  Not sure if it’s the right USB fitting for a stick though.

Lachica

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 21:54:27 PM »
@twopence thanks, sounds like you have male USB connector, I'd need a female. I'll investigate. If I can find the on-the-go cable for my phone I'll try that. OR ..is there any reason why I couldn't download direct? Might be a formatting issue? I know the memory stick has to be formatted by the sewing machine before use. On a PC I could have partitioned the disk years ago, no idea how to do that nowadays  ><
@Francesca wow! A couple of years ago I told the guy I bought my machine from I wouldn't trade up until Pfaff produce a wireless version. He pooh-poohed the idea, said tech is moving too quickly for the company to invest in the development. The Amazon listing for this Janome machine doesn't mention wifi, if it is wireless then at £2000 I'd consider it, except that the embroidery area is very small.
Mary

Celia

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 23:54:00 PM »
Pfaff now make a machine that is WiFi it is called the creative icon, Husqvarna also make 2 with WiFi.  They have been around for a couple of years now, you can send designs directly to the machines from your computer but you do have to put the files on to Mysewnet cloud, you can now do this from your iPad.

Which pfaff machine do you have? Does it use VP3 formatted files?

Lachica

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 11:50:45 AM »
@Celia I have the Pfaff Creative 3. It uses .VIP but will also read almost all other formats. I've used many .JEFs which I bought when I had the Janine 350e. I have a login for mysewnet but wasn't able to access their cloud. It wanted me to register a wireless enabled sewing machine? I will try it again. £7500 for that creative icon :o. I'm surprised my dealer hasn't been in touch to sell me one. ;)
Mary

Celia

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 14:27:47 PM »
@Lachica  I think Pfaff will bring out other machines with the sewnet facility, Husqvarna have just brought out a second one but still very expensive.  It is A shame they don’t let you access it without a wireless machine. 

You can defiantly load embroidery files on to the files system on an iPad but I am not certain you can move them on to a USB stick without the use of a computer, if you do find a way it will be very interesting.  I have a Husqvarna Diamond Royale and the transfer system is similar to yours.

If there is anything I can do to help test anything out just let me know

Celia

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 15:35:08 PM »
Ok spellcheckers and predictive text are good sometimes :devil:

Lachica

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 16:41:12 PM »
@Celia @Francesca I like that - I shall defiantly tell my machine.
Mary