The Sewing Place

Jackety things to wear over dressy dresses

SewRuthieSews

Jackety things to wear over dressy dresses
« on: May 09, 2019, 07:21:17 AM »
Last year I attended a wedding and pulled out my one 'posh' frock which was really a size too small but wore it anyway.
I threw a wrap over it as all my jackets looked like the work jackets that they are!

This year there's another wedding (but not until September) and having not lost any weight I decided to buy two stretch dresses from Dorothy Perkins, both are a dark burgundy colour as its flattering on me but one is more wintery and the other more summery. They've turned out to be really useful as I now have a suitable dressy dress for many occasions.

I have bags, shoes etc already which work so I'm pleased to have solved my problem.

I've tried to attach pics and may have another go.

Anyway the reason for this rambling post is the layering piece. I wore one dress to a special service at church where the choir were in pretty dresses (not black) and the only layer I could find was a ribbed cardigan which was OK for church but wouldn't work for a wedding.

What topper/layering piece would work for these? I had a look in Debenhams and there were lots of cropped knit jackets to wear over the fancier dresses. I don't normally do cropped but maybe its right for these?

« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 07:27:36 AM by SewRuthieSews »

Efemera

Re: Jackety things to wear over dressy dresses
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 08:39:32 AM »
I quite like a cropped jacket... a nice lacey one would be nice for weddings....or a kimono style?

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 09:09:37 AM »
Something like this
or this
or this
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 09:31:27 AM »
I had a pink lace crop style thing similar in thought to @BrendaP's first suggestion. It wasn't even structured enough to be called a jacket but I wore it everywhere over everything and everyone commented on it. My biggest hit was with a pale silver grey skirt and white top at a wedding and the compliments just kept coming.  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 09:35:29 AM »
What about a loose Kimono type of jacket.  Made in some really lovely silk... 

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 10:00:57 AM »
Thanks for all the ideas.

Here's another go at the pictures

Dress 1 - Upper back and sleeves are burgundy lace.

Dress 2 - Front neck has black mesh trim embellished with silver beads and diamante.
I have also added black stretch lace to the hem of the skirt and sleeves (as the skirt was slightly short for me)

So much as I love the lace jackets I think they would compete with the lace accents already on the dresses.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 10:09:45 AM by SewRuthieSews »

annieeg

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 10:48:46 AM »
@SewRuthieSews   Nice dresses and I can see how versatile they would be.
Difficult to know what to suggest except that I think a shrug would work with either; I'm thinking of something made in a nacre fabric, which you could run up yourself?

Nacré: Velvet with an effect similar to shot silk, where the pile is woven in one or more colours and the base fabric in another, creating a changeable, iridescent effect.

Happymrsg

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 14:17:51 PM »
Why do you need to cover those lovely dresses?

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 14:38:33 PM »
Why do you need to cover those lovely dresses?

Glad you like them, the layering piece is to stop myself being cold when outside on the way to the event.
Or to wear at the event if its not that warm (ie concert in old stone church).

Missie

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 15:47:49 PM »
I think I would go for a shawl or wrap or a jacket that is less structured than a work jacket.  I don't think I'd go for a lace cover-up as it would compete with the lace on the dress.

fajita

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 15:52:06 PM »
I like pashmina type cover ups. Not sure if it would be best in similar or contrasting colours. Maybe a black with a bit of sparkle for the diamanté dress.

Nevis5

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 16:26:47 PM »
Lovely dresses, @SewRuthieSews  !  I was thinking along the pashmina/shawl lines myself too.  I had a really pretty silvery lacy one for DD's wedding, just took the edge off the wind in NY.    I can't wear a cropped jacket myself, way too much going on on top, but I think one of those on a normal-sized person would look good too x

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 17:04:42 PM »
How about a fairly simple short black velvet jacket, especially with the one with black lace trim?

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2019, 17:40:43 PM »
I think I might make a few options to cater for different temperatures and occasions.
I'm not an occasion person really so have to work quite hard to look smart enough.
So this is part of a deliberate strategy to be able to attend weddings, parties and other smart occasions without too much angst about the outfits.

I could do
black lacey sweater knit cardigan
black boucle jacket
pink textured jacket
burgundy jacquard jacket/coat

Then when I have an occasion I can just pick a dress, a topper, bag, footwear and I'm good to go!

Manuela

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 01:13:26 AM »
For cooler weather a faux fur shawl similar to the one Brenda posted is always nice. I made one a couple of years ago in a silvery grey faux fur (matches my hair and goes with everything). I lined it and added pockets into the lining - very useful.