The Sewing Place

D9P Tutorial for Absolute Beginners

Iminei

D9P Tutorial for Absolute Beginners
« on: May 09, 2019, 15:31:34 PM »
Here is a link to a tut that I plan on giving the girls at my class this weekend ...

D9P tut

As usual click on the first pick, then the i icon and destructions should come up to the right side.

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 15:33:45 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

annieeg

Re: D9P Tutorial for Absolute Beginners
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 16:16:57 PM »
@Iminei
Enjoyed very much scrolling through this - its like a conjuror taking the rabbit out of the hat!! 0_0
I'm off to buy some charm packs!!
A ;)

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 16:40:01 PM »
Nooooooo!

Cut your own honey ... much cheaper!

fajita

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 18:49:35 PM »
@Iminei do you know the level of complete beginners in your class?  When I took my class, about six years ago I think, I had no idea what a rotary cutter was and I'd never seen one of those grid rulers. My beginning was very basic.

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 18:58:59 PM »
I bought my rotary cutter, ruler and cutting mat when I turned up for my first workshop.  0_0
Absolutely clueless!  8)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Bogwoppit

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 20:06:44 PM »
Ooh! I want to have a go right now! But must really retire to bed as soon as kids quieten down as I'm recovering from a migraine.
Lurking in Lancashire, improving my sewing when life gives me time.

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 20:16:58 PM »
It's a bit late now, if you haven't already said so, but those beginners do need to know how to use a sewing machine to sew a straight line!  Otherwise I'm sure you'll be fine. 

Some people will wizz through, other's will take much longer,  Some will cut accurately and sew beautifully neat seams, others won't be quite so good.  Main thing though is that they enjoy the day and go home with something they are proud of. 

Have a great weekend.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ellabella

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 20:49:15 PM »
I've just read it carefully and think its absolutly fine :D

I like the way you have shown several variations and that even if they only produce one block they have the makings of a cushion cover.

Good luck for Sat, you will be wonderful.

Tell us all about it later.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 23:04:58 PM by Ellabella »

supergran

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 21:23:40 PM »
Great tutorial @Iminei . After all these years, I want to do my first D9P!  <3

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 21:28:29 PM »
@annieeg go with the charm packs. Precuts work out at the same price as yardage and are good to start with
Looks a sound tutorial @Iminei .Hope it goes well
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Pearl

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 21:30:21 PM »
Anyone else have that feeling like when your DC started school?  We’ll be on tenterhooks (now we know what they are) until home time.

Acorn

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 21:46:04 PM »
That is an excellent tutorial @Iminei - you are very skilled at both quilting and teaching (as those of us who have done your monthly blocks know) and I am looking forward to you being on a high after the class!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2019, 07:11:58 AM »
Enjoy the day Iminei, I'm sure you will want to do more.
I would agree that pre cuts are ideal when you are starting from scratch and have no fabric.  I made my first quilt top using a jelly roll - I probably wouldn't have attempted it if I had had to choose and buy loads of separate fabrics to cut.
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2019, 08:27:44 AM »
Aw Girls, you ARE the best! Wish you were my pupils, tho I think we would be gassing too much to get anything done!!

Ok to business ...

The original 5" squares are already cut for them, they just choose their colours.

They know how to use a machine, RC etc, as they come from the small sewing school that my friends daughter has set up, Jessalli

The only cuts they have to do is when they disappear the block

I will be warning them about RCs, blades etc and also doing a mini perfect points tut before we start  on the D9P.

I have 3 hours and hope everyone will have made and quilted at least one block by then ... I doubt we will have time to bind but will offer to guide them through that at a stitch and bitch session if they want. I hope they will see just how quick and easy it is and want to make a bigger item ...

My friend and neighbour Lucy (mum of Wren) is coming round today for a dry run. She really has no sewing background at all so we'll see how we go.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2019, 08:35:57 AM »
Oo, exciting. Thank you for posting your tutorial.
I’m going to try this myself as have never done patchwork before.  :D