The Sewing Place

Why is it that you can jump the big jumps but fall on the little ones

Gernella

I've done  three big projects (for me) and barely faltered and yet  when I come to something simple that I can nearly knock off in a good afternoon, I balls it up.   A simple top, made probably a dozen times  with either long or short sleeves. 

Everything hunky dory until I came to the sleeves.  I remember when pinning the pattern a random thought fluttered across, but I wasn't listening.  Body done, sleeves stitched at the sides, I was pinning to coverstitch the hem when the penny dropped, it was way too short.  I'd cut at the wrong point on the pattern.  Spitting feathers at my mistake I got a band ready for each sleeve and sewed on.  Pressed ready to hem again, then I looked at it and thought, what was the point of a bodge job when I had more than enough fabric for another complete set of sleeves.

Well I've finished now and it looks fine.  What is annoying is that I use this sleeve so often that I've cut a new pattern piece  for it in fleece and I'd completely forgotten to use it.

Mind you, I've never even tried it on yet, I hope it fits!

DH has volunteered me to finish off a shortened dress for his sister (a very sad reason why she's not doing it), so simple, it's frightening me!
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

sewingj

I`ve just finished making some loose trousers.  All went well  until I turned up the hem.  I worked out that they needed to go up by about 2 inches - so I gaily chopped 2 inches off - leaving nothing for the hem!  Have now sent for some bias binding to put on the bottom of the trousers so I can make a teeny weeny hem

wrenkins

Oh @sewingj I did that but on a grand scale. My sitting room has two giant windows and I spent many of my precious beans on ceiling to floor, double width curtains, came home and did exactly what you just did! I Wonderwebbed the piece back on!  :'(
@Gernella I think it's because you relax and let your concentration slip. I once had a pair of boots with mid-height heels and I wish I had a fiver for every time I went over on my ankles. High heels no problems but those wee low jobbies masquerading as flats... :angry: Got me every time.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Ploshkin

I managed to get 2 different length sleeves on a top when I had cut the piece out of double fabric.  Goodness knows how I did it, one was 2" shorter.  It ended up with 3/4 sleeves.
Life's too short for ironing.

BrendaP

I`ve just finished making some loose trousers.  All went well  until I turned up the hem.  I worked out that they needed to go up by about 2 inches - so I gaily chopped 2 inches off - leaving nothing for the hem!  Have now sent for some bias binding to put on the bottom of the trousers so I can make a teeny weeny hem

Could you not have just sewed the two inches back on and used that as a false hem?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Gernella

Come to think of it I seem to remember in the distant past boobing on some curtain shortening and having a half inch turn up and the rest tape.  At least as fast as we see the boob we  are planning how to resuscitate and not throwing the towel.

I was using some lovely Art Gallery jersey, which I might add is a dream to coverstitch with, no tantrums at all.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Flobear

I discovered last evening that I had had sewn the buttonhole on the wrong end of the cuff of the shirt I was wearing. It's been on there the best part of a year but as it's a summer garment I only recently started wearing it and I usually turn the cuffs up. Think I'm going to bodge it on the very patterned fabric by sewing up the buttonhole and making one on the correct end!
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Morgan

Re: Why is it that you can jump the big jumps but fall on the little ones
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 22:54:25 PM »
Bah - 3rd time making this blouseThe collar involves some mental olympics and that's fine but I've put the same sleeve in the wrong side twice already !   Time for bed.

Ohsewsimple

Re: Why is it that you can jump the big jumps but fall on the little ones
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 14:48:50 PM »
I think @wrenkins is right.  If it’s simple, you relax and don’t concentrate like you should. 
I have made countless pairs of light drapey, elasticated waist trousers from one of my patterns I made years ago.  Over the years the pattern has been enlarged, leg shape altered and recently made considerably smaller. However, in all of this I KNOW that my right side needs about an extra 1cm added at the top of the side seam. But several times I have forgotten.  It’s written in the pattern but still I forget.  :angry: