The Sewing Place

FBA - Yet again

annieeg

FBA - Yet again
« on: May 10, 2019, 10:33:49 AM »
On the subject of UFO's, I have a "learning" UFO to tackle. :'(
Learning how to do an FBA - I have such a MENTAL BLOCK about this, I'm absolutely sure I can't do it (it intimidates me as much as  algebra lessons did at school!)
I know there's been a lot of posts on this subject and I wondered if anyone can recommend an on-line course that takes you through the process by way of lessons e.g., FBA for Dummies.
(I have the Full Busted DVD but I don't find that very easy to follow.)
I did ask at Merchant and Mills workshop but they don't do customised classes. :'(
Thanks for any suggestions.
Annie

b15erk

Re: FBA - Yet again
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 11:07:07 AM »
Annie, I struggled for a long time, but once you find a technique which works for you, it will stay with you.

Not sure which tutorial I used, but I'll look in my bookmarks.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 13:55:02 PM »
Oh @annieeg that is such a shame if you are really stuck with this.  I have taught dozens of people how to do this.  Once you master it it makes life so much easier as regards fitting and it's a bit like magic.  Have you got any fitting books?   I usually recommend Fit For Real People. But this alteration uses their diagrams and method.
https://thethriftystitcher.co.uk/how-to-make-bust-adjustments-on-your-sewing-patterns/?cn-reloaded=1

annieeg

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 14:21:30 PM »
Oh @annieeg that is such a shame if you are really stuck with this.  I have taught dozens of people how to do this.  Once you master it it makes life so much easier as regards fitting and it's a bit like magic.  Have you got any fitting books?   I usually recommend Fit For Real People. But this alteration uses their diagrams and method.
https://thethriftystitcher.co.uk/how-to-make-bust-adjustments-on-your-sewing-patterns/?cn-reloaded=1
@Ohsewsimple
Thanks very much for the link and I will give it a try. 0_0

Marniesews

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 21:01:48 PM »
I felt rather like that at first but during one of Craftsy's free access weekends I watched a couple of their classes - Adjust the Bust by Kathleen Cheetham and Full Bust Adjustment for any Pattern by Jenny Rushmore.

I took plenty of notes and have used their demonstrated techniques several times since - including for princess line lycra dance dress. Even in knits I find using darts (as opposed to manipulating them out) gives you the best possible bust shaping that is really flattering. Either of these classes should give you a fairly solid understanding of the principle.

Since watching them I've discovered the wonderful (and mostly free) video tutorials by Alexandra Morgan from In-House Patterns. Alex uses a scaled down pattern to do the adjustments so it's easy to follow the steps she takes and she tends to do more variations for different fitting issues. The Bluprint classes may be better for the clearest basic principles explained at a fairly slow pace but Alex's videos have been a great addition for a whole range of pattern alterations once you've got an idea of pattern basics. She has a playlist of videos specifically relating to bust alterations.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Elnnina

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 22:08:29 PM »
I too have the full busted DVD and have found that by watching this several times it gets easier to understand.  I also made a note of the patterns Marta was using, some are now out of date but there are places in the USA that you can get them from and they are factory folded.  If you can find a McCalls Palmer Pletsch (Palmer Pletsch is stamped under the McCalls name) pattern these have the extra lines that Marta uses already printed on them and thus it makes it much easier to follow.

If it would help you I can let you have a list of the pattern numbers from Full Busted, and if you can find one you can then follow Marta step by step.  Sew Today sell the Palmer Pletsch Pattern Paper and this is gridded so helpful in cutting this into different widths and lengths for inserting into your pattern, and there is good advice on the tape and type of pins used in Fit for Real People.

I like Marta's way of showing you how to do the FBA, it really is like having her in the room with you, and of course you can stop the DVD and rewind as many times as you wish.  I play the DVD in my sewing room on my laptop.  When I first had this Twopence came over for the afternoon and we sat and watched the DVD on the television - we were both enthralled with this and I can say I certainly have learned a lot from Marta.

annieeg

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 22:23:45 PM »
Thanks for the post ref Full busted dVD.
I intend to watch it again and am about to sort through my patterns to see if I can find one suitable to try the FBA on.
I'll report progress (or lack of  0_0progress) in due course.
Thanks again.

annieeg

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 22:31:55 PM »
@Marniesews
Thanks for your very helpful post and video links, and I'll certainly study them carefully. :)

annieeg

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 08:19:11 AM »
@Elnnina
Yes please - it would be really helpful if you could let me have a list of patterns used in the DVD.
thanks so much :flower :)
Annie

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2019, 12:03:29 PM »
@Marniesews glad you put the link to In-house Patterns videos.  I’m a great fan of hers.  I did have a quick search on her site but couldn’t find them   Didn’t realise they were on YouTube. 

Personally I wouldn’t bother with Jenny Rushmore's instructions.  I also watched a load when they were free.  I was impressed until she had a lump in the pattern that wouldn’t lie flat and she suggested you just flatten it out.   :o.  What???   Nooooo.  It is such an easy fix but flattening it out and pretending it isn’t  there isn’t the way to do it. 

Elnnina

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2019, 13:06:44 PM »
Annieeg I have sent you a rather long PM, hope this will help.

Marniesews

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 13:17:28 PM »
Coincidentally another YouTube tutorial with 3 methods for an FBA on knits has been posted today on an FB group (by the former skatersmum on TSF as it happens).
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 10:14:24 AM »
Hi Annie, have you made any progress with the FBA at all?  I seemed to be lurching along frantically searching for the perfect method, and one day it just clicked.

I know that Silhouette patterns are all drafted to a D cup, if that's any help.

Look forward to hearing about your progress.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

annieeg

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 11:12:53 AM »
@b15erk
I've had tremendous resource/research help from @Elnnina and have been studying but TBH my day job is very busy now, so I've put it to one side.
I need to study this all carefully and do a step-by-step FBA following the DVD, but need to have the free time and a clear head!
Will post udpates as I make progress.
Annie

Morgan

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 15:46:27 PM »
@annieeg  Sometimes you just need someone at the side of you to walk you through the steps and you'll get the aha got it! moment.

Maybe someone on here is not far from where you live and may be willing to help you out.