The Sewing Place

Sleevies.

wrenkins

Re: Sleevies.
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2019, 13:03:25 PM »
Just to say - at risk of offence - you`re right - that fabric is dreadful!
It could be worse! Have you seen the stuff they use on the pattern? I don't understand why they make and pose these things to look like something from The Great Depression!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Acorn

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2019, 13:08:32 PM »
I like the inside of the fabric better than the outside!

I agree, @wrenkins - that is a really useful, adaptable pattern, but the examples shown on the envelope are straight out of the seventies.  They're excluding all the people who don't have the imagination to see the lines of the jacket rather than the overall effect.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Missie

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2019, 13:09:09 PM »
It could be worse! Have you seen the stuff they use on the pattern? I don't understand why they make and pose these things to look like something from The Great Depression!

I absolutely love the brown ditsy print fabric!

annieeg

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2019, 13:12:01 PM »
I actually bought that fabric from Minerva Fabrics and thought it looked a bit like the image on the pattern, which is probably why I thought it would work.
I need the Fabric Police by my side when I buy material because I always go for the cheapest - which is often the nastiest :|.
Annie

Acorn

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2019, 13:19:20 PM »
I have a lot of fabric from Minerva that was cheap and looked much better on the website than in real life! 
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

wrenkins

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2019, 13:21:44 PM »
Ha! Well guess where I got the fabric I'm going to use!  0_0  (cos it was cheap!).
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2019, 14:01:09 PM »
If you try  and put a set in sleeve in by the flat method it doesn’t usually hang right.  If you look at shirt sleeves that are put in flat they are completely different from a set in sleeve. 

BrendaP

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2019, 16:41:18 PM »
I second what others have said.   

|-  is the traditional way of inserting shirt sleeves and other wider/less formal sleeves.   

|\  is for tailored and more formal garments, but it's the classic way for more fitted sleeves.  It also means that the final seam goes around the arm rather than under the arm and so is generally reckoned to be more comfortable.

ETA - on the whole it depends on the shape of the sleeve cap which method is more 'correct'.  A flattish sleeve cap (most shirts) is best done by the flat |- method.  More shaped sleeve caps are easier to work by setting in, |\.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 16:43:15 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2019, 16:59:16 PM »
Yes the sleeve heads are definitely curved.
I've trimmed my pattern all up and guesstimated the revised length of the collar. It occurred to me as I was doing it that the length of the collar isn't critical. I can always trim it after the fact as I'm binding it anyway.
I keep looking at my fabric but no cutting is happening!  :S Can anyone else hear chicken noises??

Ros

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2019, 07:43:11 AM »
 Get the scissors out. You know you want to.