The Sewing Place

FMQ

Acorn

FMQ
« on: May 10, 2019, 21:08:37 PM »
I'm preparing myself to practice FMQ on my machine (Husqvarna Viking Topaz 25) by reading the manual!!!!

It says:
FREE MOTION FLOATING
When you are sewing free motion at low
speed the foot will raise and lower with
each stitch to hold the fabric on the stitch
plate while the stitch is being formed. When
sewing in high speed, the foot floats over the
fabric while sewing. The feed teeth must be
lowered and the fabric is moved manually. All
stitches can be sewn in Free Motion Floating Mode.

FREE MOTION SPRING ACTION
The Free Motion Spring Action Presser Feet
follows the up and down movement of the
needle with help of the spring and the arm
on the presser foot. The feed teeth must be
lowered and the fabric is moved manually. It
is recommended to turn on the Stitch Width
Safety for the presser feet that are only
intended for straight stitch sewing.

I don't understand this.  Can someone tell me which I should do?
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sheilago

Re: FMQ
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 21:15:58 PM »
Hi @Acorn. I’m not sure about the first one, but the second sounds like my free motion foot. When using it you put the feed dogs down so that you are manually moving the fabric under the needle - you will be moving the fabric in all directions. Have you looked at YouTube videos? There are many good ones showing how to do it. They do suggest turning stitch size to zero, but I don’t find that makes much difference. Just make sure you’re switched to straight stitch. I found it useful to also practice with a pen and paper. Somehow it got the idea of the design into my head. It feels strange at first, but becomes quite natural eventually. I find it very relaxing now ( when all is going well! :D)

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 21:33:40 PM »
The other confusing thing (OK, one of the other confusing things) is that I do have a walking foot (otherwise called an interchangeable dual feed foot, depending where you look), but neither free motion setting requires a walking foot.  The manual says that this foot can be used with stitches that are not just straight, so presumably I would use this with the first setting...

I know I used this foot when I quilted my last quilt, but I'm pretty sure I didn't use a free motion setting - I just did lines of serpentine stitch, and it all worked very well.  Astonishingly so.

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 22:00:34 PM »
@Acorn  You don't use a walking foot for fmq.  That is just an even feed foot that gives you feed dogs on top of the fabric in addition to the machine bed ones.  It means that you can stitch multiple layers without the top layer shifting.

I would have a try at both methods of fmq described in your manual and see what you prefer.  Actually, from the description I can't quite understand the difference.
I have done fmq with a 'hopping' foot (the first one in your manual sounds like that).  It takes a bit of getting used to the foot hopping up and down but you just need to practice lots.
The other type of foot I've used for fmq is the type that can be used as a ruler foot.  That doesn't hop and you have to set the height so that it is just about skimming the fabric.  For both types of foot you have to move the fabric.  You have the feed dogs down and so the stitch length is controlled by your movement of the fabric (i usually set the length to zero but it doesn't really matter.)  The hardest thing is co coordinating the speed of your hands and the speed of the machine to get even stitches and also not getting a wobble or a huge stitch when you start sewing.  Probably the hopping type foot is better at preventing that because it grips the fabric when the needle goes down.  You need to find your comfortable speed - don't be tempted to try and go too slowly.  I set my speed in the middle.
Life's too short for ironing.

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 22:06:05 PM »
Thanks @Sheilago and @Ploshkin - Plosh, that explains why I didn't use the FMQ setting with my other quilt (it could have been luck, but I like to think that I found some instructions at the time!)  The FMQ settings automatically lower the feed dogs.

I think I might have had the decision made for me, for the moment at least, because it seems that the second method requires a foot that I don't have.  I do have several feet that are suitable for the floating mode, so I will try that first.

But not tonight.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 22:13:24 PM »
You don't use a walking foot/dual feed when doing free motion.  An embroidery/darning foot - either the horseshoe shaped one or a closed circle type is what you need.  If the foot raises and lowers automatically that's fine, othrwise you can get a foot with a spring attached.

The foot goes down when the stitch is formed and up so that you can move the fabric.  Most sources tell you to lower the feed dogs, but personally I prefer to keep them up and set the stitch length to 0.  Be sure to set the stitch width to 0.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sheilago

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 22:54:12 PM »
@Acorn , I really suggest you google ‘free motion quilting for beginners’ and watch a video. It’s so much easier to understand once you’ve seen it done.
A walking foot is very useful for straight stitch quilting, but for free motion you’ll use the foot with the spring.

Stitches

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 06:53:19 AM »
Acorn if you have the q foot you can use your embroidery foot for free motion quilting on the 1st setting .

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 07:58:45 AM »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Celia

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2019, 08:34:45 AM »
Nooo     the Sensor Q foot is an oddity although it does not have a visiblespring   it is supposed to be used on the second setting it is the R foot that works with the first floating setting but do make sure you tell the machine which method you want to use.

The Sensor Q foot does not come as standard with this machine
Love to know how you get on

Efemera

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2019, 08:53:20 AM »
If it’s anything like the Pfaff it has two methods of FMQ, one is using a small foot which on the Pfaff is called a  sensormatic foot and the other has a foot with a lever which engages over the needle bar, this goes up and down with the machine, the sensormatic glides over the fabric. Not much difference in the result.

Acorn

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 09:04:26 AM »
It probably is, @Efemera - I gather they're made by the same company now.

So, the R foot, on the first setting (thanks @Celia), and watch @Iminei's Youtube video.   :)

Ploshkin

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2019, 12:08:45 PM »
@Acorn one tip from my limited experience.  When you stop (needle down of course) and want to go again, let the needle go up and back down on the same spot before moving the fabric.  That stops you getting a big or out of line stitch when you move off again.

Acorn

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2019, 15:29:04 PM »
Ooh - thanks @Ploshkin - not one I would have thought of.

For anyone else coming across this thread, there is an excellent tutorial written by @Deafoldbat here.

I am now (slowly) clearing the dining table.  I have some fabric and wadding, and some thread of the right-ish weight.

I'm going to run out of reasons to procrastinate soon.

Ploshkin

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2019, 17:04:46 PM »
Make yourself a pile of sandwiches before you start (quilting not egg and cress) then you can fan without interruption and get into the zone.