The Sewing Place

Stoffland - If I only had access to this store

Margarita

Stoffland - If I only had access to this store
« on: May 11, 2019, 17:54:56 PM »
If I had a fabric store near me like this, I would camp out. If you look at them on Google Maps you can see their wall of buttons! I want that. Does anybody have a store like that nearby?

Stoffland Graz

Lowena

Re: Stoffland - If I only had access to this store
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 17:57:21 PM »
I don't actually like the way the fabrics are displayed
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Helen M

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 18:03:54 PM »
Oh the name Graz drew me in! I spent a month there on an exchange just before I left school and it's a place I'd love to revisit, even more so knowing that there is a fabric store!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

Margarita

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 18:04:25 PM »
Lowena, Which ones? The ones on rolls?

Margarita

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 18:09:53 PM »
Oh the name Graz drew me in! I spent a month there on an exchange just before I left school and it's a place I'd love to revisit, even more so knowing that there is a fabric store!

Do you know if this is a chain store operation or just one store? Oh my, all those buttons and such a variety of colors in their zippers.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 19:29:23 PM »
Just as well it's many many miles away  :P

Although that never stops me I shop online as there's nowt near me anyway  :S
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Helen M

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 20:12:50 PM »
Do you know if this is a chain store operation or just one store? Oh my, all those buttons and such a variety of colors in their zippers.

I Googled it out of curiosity, it's on the southern side of the city, and there seem to be a couple of other branches. I didn't know the other towns though.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 20:18:59 PM »
I'm in need of some buttons :button: :button: :button: :button: :button:
Five, maybe six, largish ones that match but are all different colours, for the silk Zambeesi jacket.  All I can get locally are cheap nasty things sold for guluiing onto cards.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lollipop

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 20:25:31 PM »
I googled Graz as I have never heard of it I am ashamed to say!!

@snoozi soozi I know what you mean about Scunthorpe area. I use Waltons in Goldthorpe (40 mins drive) for fabric but habby isn't that good. Jayleurs in Brigg better for habby, but I miss the Fabric Store at Skippingdales! Thank goodness for t'interweb!!
Was Sewnanny

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 08:23:28 AM »
I did a school exchange to Austria also, but mine was to Güssing. There was definitely a strong sewing and knitting culture there in the 1980s (more than in the UK at the time).

Efemera

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2019, 09:06:03 AM »
I'm in need of some buttons :button: :button: :button: :button: :button:
Five, maybe six, largish ones that match but are all different colours, for the silk Zambeesi jacket.  All I can get locally are cheap nasty things sold for guluiing onto cards.

What size and colour @BrendaP?

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2019, 09:49:45 AM »
Bright red, fuschia pink, phthalo green, purple, lilac and black;  about 30mm.   :devil:

I did order some from Totally Buttons yesterday evening.  We'll see.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2019, 10:15:27 AM »
@Lollipop it's sometimes worth looking in Boyes in Brigg too, they have quite a bit of habby, basic fabrics but quite a lot of curtaining stuff. They're cheap, especially calico and polycottons, cheaper than Jaylaurs, although I love Jaylaurs, I don't see the point in spending more for t'same stuff  ;)
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Efemera

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2019, 13:42:18 PM »
Bright red, fuschia pink, phthalo green, purple, lilac and black;  about 30mm.   :devil:

I did order some from Totally Buttons yesterday evening.  We'll see.

I’ve got stacks of odd nice ones...I’ll post a picture when I get home on Tuesday

Sakar

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 12:23:00 PM »
If I had a fabric store near me like this, I would camp out. If you look at them on Google Maps you can see their wall of buttons! I want that. Does anybody have a store like that nearby?

Stoffland Graz

Hi Magarita,

is it unfair to tell you that this shop is just 30min away from my town? :P

Stoffland is quite a big shop, but I hardly visit them. It's a general fabric shop, but they have no Patchwork fabrics. There are of course some cotton fabrics, but I am not sure about the quality.
They offer a very wide range of fabrics, cotton, denim, canvas, costumes, everything for furniture and garden and bags, and much more... but it's always like a bet, how the quality is. -<

Yes, they have a huge choice and low prices,... but quality is not guaranteed ;)