The Sewing Place

Stretch net retailer

Missie

Stretch net retailer
« on: May 12, 2019, 10:37:20 AM »
Just wondering if any of you dance peeps could point me in the right direction. I’m wanting to make a dress for my friends wedding and I need some mesh for it. I’ve had a look at a couple of “real life” retailers and what I’m looking for is a mesh that is like tulle, with a bit a stretch. I’ve had a look online for stretch mesh but it just seems to bring up powernet which I’m not sure is what I’m looking for.  If anyone can advise what I should be looking for and/or retailers, that would be great.  It has to be fairly translucent, oh and I’m looking for teal. I’ve attached a picture of the dress to give you an idea. Thanks
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 10:38:52 AM by Missie »

Catllar

Re: Stretch net retailer
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 23:00:48 PM »
Do you really need stretch mesh? Don't forget there is quite a  bit of mechanical stretch in tulle.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Missie

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 23:22:51 PM »
I don’t really know what I need other than a soft net/tulle. I’ve never seen with stretch fabrics of any sort. It has to have some give. I’m hoping to get a stretch crepe or stretch cotton sateen for the main dress. It’s a lekala pattern so details are sparse!

Sewbusy

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 06:28:52 AM »
Have a look at dance fabrics such as https://www.chrisanne-clover.com/products/stretch_net?size=All&colour=All&page=2.

Have you sourced the main body fabric yet?, once that particular fabric and shade  is fixed, then I'd look at options for the 'stretch mesh'. A fabric that will be transparent and delicate enough to replicate the pattern picture  and in a Teal colour is a big ask. Would you consider dyeing  some fabric to match?

Tulle is a 'knit' fabric and as @Catllar says it is quite stretchy. You could buy cotton or silk tulle and dye to your colour, it wouldn't require much fabric for the area so not a big problem to do this. There are lots of good dyes available.

Whaleys of Bradford do both silk tulle and cotton tulle which is prepared for dyeing, a much cheaper option than  https://www.topfabric.co.uk/soft-silk-tulle-green.html for e.g

Missie

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 08:38:38 AM »
to replicate the pattern picture  and in a Teal colour is a big ask.

It’s an even bigger ask as I’m trying to match to one of 2 pairs of shoes

Thecostumelady

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 16:01:47 PM »
Trim-it-uk does a nice teal stretch mesh that would be fine for that dress.  He may even have the dress fabric you are looking for.  He has colour matched fabrics.  If you 'search by colour' it will give all the options.  Sorry don't know the proper web site off hand but google knows!  Ann x

Missie

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 16:52:34 PM »
Thank you, @Thecostumelady .  I shall consult with google and have a little looky.   :D

Efemera

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 17:19:40 PM »
There’s an EBay shop. Sew happy textiles, they have a few mesh fabrics...don’t know how to link from an app.

Efemera

Lollipop

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 19:57:29 PM »
I can second both TrimIt and Chrisanne Clover. Their stretch mesh is great quality. Avoid the cheap versions on eBay as most are dubious quality especially for a special outfit.
Was Sewnanny

Efemera

Missie

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 10:30:00 AM »
https://ebay.co.uk/usr/sewhappytextiles

Naughty @Efemera thou dost encourage much purchasing with this retailer!!!!  Such lovely fabrics, have bookmarked them and will have a better look later.  But I love the peonies fabrics.