The Sewing Place

Cycling a me-made wardrobe

datcat23

Cycling a me-made wardrobe
« on: May 12, 2019, 10:44:36 AM »
I am part of a finish-along in my local area, and we have a seasonal commitment, where we list a bunch of projects, that we want to complete, within that season.

As part of my autumn finish-along, I committed myself to make two new work skirts.  In essence, these were to replace current skirts .... a grey suiting skirt, and a wool herringbone skirt, both me-made.  Both with fitted waistbands and centre back zips, that tend to cut into my waist when sitting, and with irritating loose linings that creep up my legs.   Amazingly, I had a piece of herringbone polyester knit that is almost identical to the wool, and I was able to make it into a hidden elastic waist pencil skirt interlined with knit tricot.  Today I finished grey suiting skirt, also interlined, with a side zip and enough elastic across the back to make life comfortable. 

Now, you may be wondering what my point is?  Despite making these skirts, with a clear intention to replace current items, I am finding it difficult to let go of the old skirts, mostly because they are also me-made.  This is not an isolated incident.  With a large part of my work wardrobe being me-made,  and the quality/fit of my makes improving as my skillset also improves,  its becoming increasingly obvious that I need to move on some items, to ease the pressure on my groaning wardrobe. 

How have you tackled this issue?  Do you have defined parameters?  A checklist?  Hints and tips welcomed. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

jintie

Re: Cycling a me-made wardrobe
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 10:58:40 AM »
Pretend you are going away for a ten day work and leisure trip and take these clothes out. Then put the rest away in a bag (or two). After a while you can decide if you want to keep any of them.
Rottweiler with scissors

Helen M

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 12:01:43 PM »
Dani I too have a problem with letting go of me made items that no longer fit in with my wardrobe. I really don't know why I feel guilty letting them go.............all I know is that they hang around unworn for much longer than an RTW item....
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

Nevis5

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 12:41:36 PM »
I don't really have a problem with letting my home created clothes go, but what I do struggle with is the knowledge that without a size label in, the charity shops can't/won't resell them.  I don't have labels, or even make a specific size, so I suppose all my carefully made stuff ends up in landfill :( 

As most of my clothes are made by me, I don't feel much of an attachment to them these days.  Those that are precious, stay put or get revamped.  I like the bag idea, @jintie .  That would work for me.

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 13:27:48 PM »
I'm very thankful to say that the charity shops around here seem to be fine with selling homemade clothes.  I'm not sure how good they are at judging sizes, but that's another issue.

I'm quite good at getting rid of things that I don't wear - if it's because wearing it doesn't make me feel good, I'd rather it was out of my sight anyway!  If it doesn't fit and isn't alterable, the same applies.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 13:38:41 PM »
If it doesn’t fit...you don’t like ..if you don’t wear it...get rid of it. There’s lots of lovely fabrics out there just waiting.....

Morzel

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 15:59:26 PM »
Actually I think  that the replacement is a good way to let go. I don't want to let go sometimes if I fear a gap in the wardrobe (right now I am in need of new dark tshirts. But they will be worn until I get around to sewing replacements). If the new item is even more comfortable than the old AND the old is worn out, then I can let go. The 'bag it away' for a few weeks is a good idea. If you feel okay with 'only' the new skirts, you can probably do away with the old ones more easily.
Eva

mudcat

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 03:29:47 AM »
I have no problem getting rid of clothes, me made or not.  I bought some s/m/l type and content tags and have attached them to stuff I've made just to give a potential buyer a guideline. 

I don't usually intentionally get rid of stuff.  I just slowly start wearing new things and the old things fall out of rotation until they are removed from the closet during my more or less quarterly closet purges.   But I also toss stuff when it looks worn out or in the case of some knits overly pilled.

Nevis5

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 08:30:37 AM »
Must be just the charity shops round here then  :S  I took a huge bagful of winter clothes yesterday along with a hat box containing three wedding hats.  The first shop refused to take my hats.  Apparently it's a Health & Safety thing ??!!  Made me feel like I was crawling with nits or something.

The second one was happy to have all my cast-offs, thankfully, as the bags were blooming heavy.