The Sewing Place

Size and wash/care labels

Holly Berry

Size and wash/care labels
« on: May 12, 2019, 16:02:30 PM »
Does anyone use these labels?

I’m finding that more and more charity shops won’t take couture homemade clothes without labels.

Procrastination get behind me

Efemera

Re: Size and wash/care labels
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 16:03:33 PM »
No...I just bundle my stuff in a bag and take it to the charity shop....no idea what they do with it then.

sewingj

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 16:28:49 PM »
Since I learnt this I have stopped taking clothes to the charity shops .  If there is a jumble sale nearby I donate to that, otherwise everything goes to textile recycling bins - I think some clothing from those is sent overseas, otherwise I presume it gets shredded.

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 16:34:01 PM »
The Salvation Army provide clothes directly to the homeless as well as selling it in their shops.  I'm sure they're less bothered about labels when the purpose is warmth and comfort!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Gernella

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 10:10:35 AM »
I don't actually take mine to the Sally Army, they come and fetch it.  There is a huge bin in the village and on their way back they stop off and collect.  They will practically take anything but electrical and technology.  I chucked away some old paintings I'd started (I used to be good at art but sewing was easier for getting in the 'mood'), they nearly snatched my hand off when I offered them.  Apparently they had an artist who lived down the street from them who was always browsing for stuff.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Greybird

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 11:14:37 AM »
I dislike the Salvation Army for other reasons entirely and don't donate to them, but I have never had home made clothes rejected by a charity shop. They receive them stuffed into bags but I have often seen them out on the rails afterwards.

I did, however have a silk dress I had made rejected by a dry cleaner. Even when I told him what the content was and said I was prepared to take any risk, he flatly refused to accept it because it didn't have a label in it.

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 12:10:25 PM »
I once had to sign a disclaimer with a dry cleaner for large 100% cotton me-made curtains because they didn't have a label.

What is there to stop anyone from sewing in a completely wrong care label?  :devil:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 12:59:42 PM »
You can always cut out the size and care labels from items that are going to be totally binned, or cut up for upcycling.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Sewbee

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2020, 10:01:40 AM »
Does anyone use these labels?

I’m finding that more and more charity shops won’t take couture homemade clothes without labels.

I have considered using these but there are so many variations of how to launder so many different labels would be required.

I would really like fabric content labels, though. I frequently forget what a fabric is made of.

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2020, 10:05:13 AM »
I love the Sally Army and find they are very good.
BHF are also good but Barnados can be picky
Triumph of hope over experience :D