The Sewing Place

Noobee from the UK

NatalieSews

Noobee from the UK
« on: May 14, 2019, 10:29:06 AM »
Morning all, it's 10:30 here in the UK and I'm currently at work procrastinating because I don't have anything to do until after lunch  :angel:

So the reason I am here is because, Quilting.

I used to dabble in dressmaking when I was younger, (around 12-14) and really enjoyed it, but unfortunately I never finished a project. Teenager brain. No money to buy fabric.

I have tried knitting and then I stumbled on to quilting when my friend who had never sewn before, (who thinks I'm a messiah because I can fit an invisible zip and have a electric sewing machine... pah, I'm a novice) enlisted my help with appliqueing some star wars faces onto the front of a galaxy inspired duvet cover that she bought off eBay.

I was hooked, even though it wasn't really a quilt albeit a duvet with faces on, I really enjoyed myself and got onto YouTube to look at some easy simple quilting projects.
Three weeks later I have finished my first ever lap quilt, rail fence assortment, with thin line quilting in the middle panels, which for me is a massive achievement.

I have never completed anything, I still have a denim skirt that I need to hem and add pockets onto (and then give away because I have gotten too fat for it!) I even pattern drafted this one using my measurements so I might even try it on and see how it feels.

So I sorta need the support of other sewist's/crafters/quilters, I am going to start on my next quilt TONIGHT. So excited to finish work, I might even break the speed limit on the motorway to get there!

As I'm new I will upload pictures of my quilt to here when I get home this afternoon.

Much love, and I hope to make some friends with similar interests  :loveit: :* :sew: :thread:

Nevis5

Re: Noobee from the UK
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 10:35:17 AM »
Welcome, @NatalieSews  !  I have no experience of quilting but there are lots here who do.  You'll get lots of help from them, so ask away!  Oops mind the speed cameras on the motorway but good luck with your next quilt x

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 10:45:27 AM »
A big welcome from me too Natalie!  Look forward to seeing some of your projects!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

NatalieSews

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 10:52:01 AM »
A big welcome from me too Natalie!  Look forward to seeing some of your projects!

Jessie

Thank you, hopefully within time you will see the progress of them, because my binding at the minute is shocking! I'll just have to practice  :D :D

NatalieSews

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 10:53:10 AM »
Welcome, @NatalieSews  !  I have no experience of quilting but there are lots here who do.  You'll get lots of help from them, so ask away!  Oops mind the speed cameras on the motorway but good luck with your next quilt x

Thank you, I'll try to take my foot off the pedal when i'm going past them. Haha

annieeg

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 10:54:47 AM »
Wishing you a warm welcome to TSP from a very amateur quilter :) :drink:
Annie

fajita

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 11:02:55 AM »
Welcome, @NatalieSews  :flower: :drink:

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 11:09:34 AM »
Welcome @NatalieSews
Get yourself over to the dark side for lots of quilting inspiration.  We currently have a Project Linus quilt challenge on the go with the deadline end of Julyish.  Some people have finished, I haven't started mine yet but have fabric ready to cut.
Life's too short for ironing.

NatalieSews

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 11:25:17 AM »
Wishing you a warm welcome to TSP from a very amateur quilter :) :drink:
Annie

Oooh we can learn together then  8) :toast:

NatalieSews

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 11:26:06 AM »

NatalieSews

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 11:26:58 AM »
Welcome @NatalieSews
Get yourself over to the dark side for lots of quilting inspiration.  We currently have a Project Linus quilt challenge on the go with the deadline end of Julyish.  Some people have finished, I haven't started mine yet but have fabric ready to cut.

Oooh! I might just do that!!! See you over at the Dark Side

Morzel

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 11:43:10 AM »
Welcome @NatalieSews !
I don't really quilt (that's my mother's job!), but have made two quilt bedcovers, one alone and one with her. What I found really important is to watch out not to mess up with the seam allowances - you have to sew accurate, otherwise the blocks will end up being each a different size! I don't have a quilters (1/4 inch) foot, but used a regular one and aligned the fabric edge with my foot and it worked out well enough, as long as I did this with all seams. So good luck with your quilt!
Eva

NatalieSews

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 11:50:52 AM »
@Morzel a 1/4 foot was the first thing I bought and my first quilt has worked out pretty good for my first try.

I'm really tempted to rebind it in some yellow or blue binding as I massivley fudged the binding of mitered corners up.

I really don't like them!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 12:26:07 PM »
Welcome @NatalieSews , I have no wisdom re quilting as I am a garment sewist, however I'm only in Chesterfield so potentially not too far away :-)

Sewingsue

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2019, 12:35:45 PM »
Welcome, Natalie.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.