The Sewing Place

SOLD OUT ! Sewing Quarter - Today selling African wax fabric (cotton)

annieeg

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/sq-bucket-production/images/2a1a3535-d2f8-4d05-8a05-a5e0da6f307d.jpg
this is on at £31 for 4.5 metres - is that a good buy?  Could this be used to make a summer dress?

Since posting, I've checked and its sold out anyway
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 09:57:08 AM by annieeg »

snoozi soozi

Re: Sewing Quarter - Today selling African wax fabric (cotton)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 09:57:21 AM »
Seems very cheap to me, dependant on the width, but you should get a dress from it  :)
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Tamnymore

I've bought African wax fabric at this sort of price. You can often find it on eBay and that length should be fine for a dress. I seem to remember it often comes in standard 5 yard lengths (and probably about 45" wide though someone can tell me if I'm wrong). Abakhan usually has bin of wax fabrics in its remnant areas for anyone in range of a shop in NW England or N Wales. It's quite stiff fabric and I don't know how much of that stiffness will wash out. You can find some lovely vibrant colours and patterns so definitely worth a go.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Vezelay

There's a good choice on EBay around that price. I bought some fat quarters there a while back, lovely quality and colours. Mine was more substantial than normal quilting cotton and virtually the same on both sides. I have a notebook cover I made from it and the fabric has softened somewhat even without washing. I think it would make a striking dress as long as you're not looking for drape.

annieeg

Thanks for the feedback.
I checked on ebay and found some nice designs.
Does the wax wear off after a while?
Does  it come off on furniture when you sit down?

Iminei

Can I just add a Caveat Emptor here ...

If you buy waxed fabric you will probably find a great big label (or three) stuck on the piece, as I did when i bought some a year or three back.

I tried and tried to get the label off with 'orrible results!

I later found that the way to remove this was to iron it off between absorbant paper (kitchen, roll?) because of course they stick the buggers on with WAX!

linky
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

annieeg

Thanks for the heads-up @Iminei

annieeg

@Francesca
thank you Fran - just shows how naïve I am... :(