The Sewing Place

A Happy Accident

b15erk

A Happy Accident
« on: May 16, 2019, 09:20:00 AM »
I've written previously about my penchant for adding excess ease to patterns, just in case.  Well, while I was looking for the missing Vogue pattern, I turned up a pair of pyjamas, in my usual extra size clown size.  As they were the exact colour I needed to go with a too short nightshirt I'd made, I decided to play around with them.

When I tried them, they came just under my bust, and falling off my hips, so I had nothing to lose.  I unpicked the elastic to re-use it as it was nice soft lingerie elastic, and guestimated how much to cut off the top.  Pulled them out to see the side view, and the slope from back to front looked OK.  On to the legs.  I took about 11/4" off each seam (folded, I was not going to unpick the OL'd seam when I could cut it off).

Sewed the seams again and then did a simple elastic application, which left the elastic exposed, topstitched with a fancy zigzag. 

They are now the nicest pyjamas I own.  So, I've now copied them so that I can alter/make other pairs.

Anyone else done something similar?  I really was beginning to despair of making pyjamas which didn't make me look like a bag of rags!

Pics tomorrow.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

wrenkins

Re: A Happy Accident
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 10:08:46 AM »
I love it when an unplan comes together.
I too have clown pyjama shorts. We could all get in them! I might just give them another coat of looking at!
Well done on your new trim PJs.  :toast:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

snoozi soozi

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 10:42:50 AM »
Yay, go Jessie  :loveit:

Just this morning I chucked my fave pj bottoms in the bin, they've been raggy for ages around the elasticated waistband area but then the i/s legs wore so thin they finally gave way. Just indecent  :o
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 11:44:37 AM »
Just remembered I took these pics last night.  They aren't very flattering, but trust me, they fit really well, and look very flattering on.  I'm going to look for some similar fabric for a few more pairs.  They don't crease, and are warm.  Because the legs aren't baggy, they don't run up my legs either!  ;)

The colour also marches my last nightshirt (the short one) really well.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 12:00:42 PM »
Really nice.

But...  you say 'nightshirt', I say 'Look at that lovely summer blouse!'   ;)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

annieeg

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 12:12:04 PM »
@b15erk
What fabric did you  use for the pj bottoms?

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 12:17:06 PM »
@annieeg I don't know what it is, it's been in the stash for a long time.  It's a heavy knit, double I think, and very smooth, but definitely not a natural fibre, so probably polyester.

I hate creased pyjamas, so these work perfectly.

Jessie

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 14:53:30 PM »
Really nice.

But...  you say 'nightshirt', I say 'Look at that lovely summer blouse!'   ;)

I thought the same!  Too nice for a night shirt.