The Sewing Place

Sewing For Dolls

Ann

Sewing For Dolls
« on: May 16, 2019, 16:39:11 PM »
I sew for both American Girl and Gotz Happy Kids and enjoy the process. I also test patterns for designers and love doing that.

The latest pattern I tested was a fun one. A wedding dress from 1978. I did my own thing when it came to embellishing it and had a blast doing it. The lace edging around the bottom of the dress is sewn on by hand. The rest of the fabric from the trim was used to make the cape. I had a great time but this dress did take me about 15 hours to make.

Once my sewing room is set up, I am going to do a couple of dresses and will be knitting items to go with them.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Sandra

Re: Sewing For Dolls
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 17:10:16 PM »
Lovely work, Ann. The detail on the dress is really pretty.

There are some lovely designs for the American Girl dolls, but I'm not aware of the doll being available in the UK.

Sandra.
xxx

Ann

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 20:33:17 PM »
Lovely work, Ann. The detail on the dress is really pretty.

There are some lovely designs for the American Girl dolls, but I'm not aware of the doll being available in the UK.

Sandra.
xxx

I don't think they are as well known in the UK as in North America. I have Gotz Happy Kids also and they are less known here than in the UK. I order my HK dolls from the UK but there is an outlet in the US that doesn't ship to Canada. I have a feeling people who purchase American Girl dolls in the UK have them shipped over.

I will be posting more in the future and that will include outfits I've made for the HK dolls.
Stash Busting 2023

Sandra

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 21:12:53 PM »
I've not heard of the Gotz doll before.
I should say that I'm not a doll collector, and my daughter's too old now for me to be too aware of what's available in toy shops etc....but I do have a bit of a thing about stylish clothes for dolls.  0_0 

I'll look forward to seeing what else you're making.  :)

Sandra.
xxx

Bookish

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 19:30:23 PM »
I have a couple of dolls that are American Girl size... one of them a return from DGD as "she didn't play well with the others".   :o 0_0  My latest temptaion is Lydia of the Girl for All Time family.  I have Amelia and she's lovely. 
I've made AG doll clothes on commission for DGD ("Gwandma, they need pink!").

Ann, your creations are so inspiring... thank you for sharing them.

indigotiger

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 02:05:00 AM »
Ann - you are an inspiration to all of us!!
Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage: Acorn Cottage Artisanry

Ann

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 11:30:41 AM »
Thank you everyone for the kind words on the doll's clothes. With the sewing room almost finished (we had a flood in the basement on April 3) I'm ready to sew in my happy place. I have the fabric for 2 doll's dresses prepped to cut out and sew. Both are for American Girl and I will be knitting sweaters to go with them.

Gotz dolls are made in Germany and are more popular over there. A few people I know here in Canada have started to collect them. I have 4 of them. Three are no longer produced and the 4th one will be available in August.

Here is a group picture of my 4 Gotz girls. I have 3 different face moulds and love them all.

Stash Busting 2023

Addiscomber

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 17:18:38 PM »
Gotz dolls are quite expensive. Cheaper UK equivalents are Our Generation dolls, especially if bought on ebay. I have got a couple of clean, tidy ones to have here for our granddaughter to play with when she is older. They may even have some clothes by then   ;) ;) :) Apparently each manufacturer's doll has slightly different measurements, but only slight adjustments are needed.
  • Ann likes this

Ann

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 22:19:07 PM »
Gotz dolls are quite expensive. Cheaper UK equivalents are Our Generation dolls, especially if bought on ebay. I have got a couple of clean, tidy ones to have here for our granddaughter to play with when she is older. They may even have some clothes by then   ;) ;) :) Apparently each manufacturer's doll has slightly different measurements, but only slight adjustments are needed.

Gotz dolls are expensive and I collect them. Children do not play with them. I have 2 American Girl dolls and both are models for clothing I sew as a pattern tester. I don't know if we can buy Our Generation dolls here in Canada. We an My Life As A.......dolls from Walmart and some of them are quite cute. I have one for a model. She was actually my first doll as an adult and she modeled many outfits in the fabric store I worked in. You need to tweak the patterns for her but that is easy.

How lucky that you have a DGD. We have a DGS and that is our only grandchild. We love him and encourage him in his interests (soccer and exploring museums). He lives a 5 minute drive from our house.
Stash Busting 2023

Addiscomber

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2019, 23:22:06 PM »
DGD was a surprise as no girls had been born in the family for a long time. She is 17 months old and adorable, although I wish we saw them a little more frequently. A brother or sister is due towards the end of July, and while health of Mum and baby is the most important thing of course, I am secretly hoping for a boy. I have acquired a couple of boys patterns from ebay - they can go back on there if not needed  :)

Ann

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 10:46:47 AM »
Yesterday I set up the sewing machine, ironing board, and cutting table and cut out a doll's dress. I got the bodice completed working on a technique I had to put aside 7 weeks ago. I am happy with the results as it is easy and accurate.

After doing some housework upstairs, I'll do the skirt. I have to knit a bolero to go with the dress.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2019, 21:46:18 PM »
The dress is done and I am saying it is a success. I had serger issues (thread broke) and one of the gather threads didn't want to cooperate. But, I'm happy.

I have another one to make in a grey and red plaid.
Stash Busting 2023

annieeg

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2019, 22:16:08 PM »
Just gorgeous  :loveit:
  • Ann likes this

Ann

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2019, 11:02:08 AM »
I finished another dress for the dolls. This time it is plaid fabric and I put the plaid on the bias for the bodice.

I need to add to the dress -- red knit sweater, grey jacket with plaid lining is niggling in my mind. I also need to buy scottie dog buttons.
Stash Busting 2023

b15erk

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2019, 11:05:25 AM »
That is such a pretty dress Ann.

I love plaid used on the cross, and the red sash sets it off beautifully.

Jessie
  • Ann likes this
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.