The Sewing Place

Sewing For Dolls

Marniesews

Re: Sewing For Dolls
« Reply #105 on: May 04, 2021, 16:24:57 PM »
@Ann you mentioned that you like to use snap fasteners for closures rather than the narrow velcro. Which sizes do you use most?

It seems people don't have the patience to sew them on these days, I suppose hiding the stitches is a nuisance in comparison to the acceptable sight of the top of a pronged snap although it can ruin things if you misplace them. The selection of the traditional sew on type here is sadly becoming much reduced.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Ann

« Reply #106 on: May 04, 2021, 16:43:38 PM »
@Marniesews, I use 7 and 9 mm snaps and love to hand sew them on. I get both Prym and Dritz brand. I sew them on like shown in this video. Lots of people are using poppers but I haven't moved over towards them as I'm not sure if I want to buy lots of them for the different colors. And like you said, you can ruin an outfit if you get one half in the wrong spot. Trust me, I would. 
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Marniesews

« Reply #107 on: May 04, 2021, 17:00:29 PM »
Me too. My mum taught me to use buttonhole stitch for these and hooks and eyes as well. Nothing more secure and tends to look neater too.

Not many people seem to do that though. I suppose that's why so many on the doll's clothes groups say it's nigh impossible to sew a snap behind a button (or vice versa) – not if you sew the button on first and then use buttonhole stitch to sew the snap on!  ;)
  • Ann likes this
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Ann

« Reply #108 on: May 08, 2021, 12:00:50 PM »
A Regency era simple dress was tested and it is a cute pattern. One of the features I liked was the bias cut sleeves.

Stash Busting 2023

Marniesews

« Reply #109 on: May 08, 2021, 14:30:39 PM »
That's such a pretty design and could work nicely in other lengths and fabrics for contemporary dresses too.

The sleeves remind me of Josefina's Christmas Dress but I do love the gathered bodice. Whose is that one?

Ann

« Reply #110 on: May 08, 2021, 16:49:38 PM »
That's such a pretty design and could work nicely in other lengths and fabrics for contemporary dresses too.

The sleeves remind me of Josefina's Christmas Dress but I do love the gathered bodice. Whose is that one?

This is and Thimbles and Acorn that she has revamped. There is a front wrap version also that has ruffles and a collar. With a tight time line, I chose the simple version.

There is a difference between this one and Josefina's Christmas dress sleeves. Josefina's is two piece and this is one piece. But both are from different eras which makes how the sleeves are constructed different. But, overall there are a lot of similarities.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2021, 11:35:14 AM »
I've made 2 more pairs of leggings using a different pattern (source unknown) and a t-shirt. I'm learning a lot about sewing with knits and how I have to handle them.

I dug out a 3rd pair of children's leggings for this outfit and they remind me of pajamas.

I made the 2nd pair of leggings inside out and noticed it before I was completely finished. I took them apart carefully and remade them yesterday. They go with the t-shirt I had made previously.

I have just enough of both leggings left to make sleeveless t-shirts. That will be 3 pairs of children's leggings used up. I have about 4-5 pairs left to make into leggings and t-shirts.
Stash Busting 2023

Marniesews

« Reply #112 on: May 12, 2021, 22:45:12 PM »
They do look good. Of course so many essential wardrobe items these days are in knits so they're essential for modern dolls too. I rediscovered the joy of sewing wovens again from the masks and doll's clothes. I just had no desire to do that until last year and the lovely doll's stuff is really boosting that. Another joy they have given me. :D Did you mention which legging pattern you used? I couldn't spot that scanning the previous posts.

Yes, when it comes to knits you do have to get out of some of the old habits borne out of decades of sewing wovens. Just learning to handle the knits really gently so not to stretch them during construction is the thing above all I think. Even then, after 7 years of nearly only knits I still had problems with the doll's basic turn under armholes & necklines stretching out... but not since I started sewing a stay stitch line virtually on the 6mm sewing line and using that as the guide to turn  just enough so it doesn't quite show on the edge.

Ann

« Reply #113 on: May 13, 2021, 11:37:30 AM »
I bought the leggings from Walmart and they cost $4.00. I got XL in the girl's size. I dug out a pair of denim/chambray blue ones and they are an XL womens from the same store. I will get lots of fabric from that pair.

I am testing a pattern that has a knit top and 14 gore woven skirt. I'm doing it in chambray colors and seeing what I learned on my own works using a designer's pattern. So far so good.
Stash Busting 2023

Marniesews

« Reply #114 on: May 13, 2021, 19:31:45 PM »
And are you using an existing doll sewing pattern for the leggings?

Ann

« Reply #115 on: May 13, 2021, 23:50:10 PM »
I have the Liberty Jane leggings/capri pattern. I have another pattern I like but can’t find the original yet. I look for it when I have a few spare minutes.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #116 on: May 15, 2021, 21:45:20 PM »
I finished another test pattern that will be published after May 17. Both pieces are really cute. The skirt was easy to make though it did take time as you sew 14 pieces together. I am going to wet the skirt and let it dry without playing with it so it isn't as bell shape. I like the relaxed look.

Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #117 on: May 23, 2021, 11:45:43 AM »
I spent a lot of time working on a bodice for the Gotz dolls. I used two patterns and tweaked them until I was happy with the fit. I did that because I wanted a dress with puffy sleeves for these dolls. I have sleeveless and smooth fitting sleeves. I did 3 takes on the bodice making a muslin each time. On take 4, I used good fabric and am happy with the results.

I have to copy the pattern once more so I have a good final copy. I also want to make the sleeves a bit longer to see what they look like when I sew the next version.
Stash Busting 2023

Marniesews

« Reply #118 on: May 25, 2021, 00:34:56 AM »
I do like this one Ann. Lovely fresh fabric and a great fit. I can see from the variation in size and silhouette that it would take quite a bit of alteration from a standard 18" doll pattern.

I'm just venturing into the Erin Hentzel books (Doll Days! and Doll Dress Boutique). Do you have either? The blouse I'm doing now seems much too wide for my Our Generation dolls and the neckline stands proud of the shoulders but it looks rather like that in the photo so I'll be doing a bit of tweaking myself. I'm hoping all those dresses in the Boutique book are going to be nearer the mark.

I do like your Gotz doll. Lovely to have the pose-able arms and their faces are very realistic, not so idealised and very full of character. She's gorgeous in her new dress.
  • Ann likes this

toileandtrouble

« Reply #119 on: May 25, 2021, 17:44:32 PM »
I am just finishing a Liberty Jane pattern, I thought it would be good for me to try being very accurate.  How do you handle tiny short seam of 1cm or so?  It is so difficult to get them neatly under the presser foot. Any tips? 
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m