The Sewing Place

Sewing For Dolls

b15erk

Re: Sewing For Dolls
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2019, 14:04:30 PM »
Oh Ann, such a pretty dress!  I love yellow!

Jessie
  • Ann likes this
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ann

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2019, 12:30:45 PM »
I finished up the piece of fabric and made another outfit. A skirt and a top. Happy to have it gone from the stash.

I'm starting to design the next outfit which will also be basic but cute (I hope).
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Ann

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2019, 10:28:12 AM »
I got a dress made for Laura (Happy Kidz by Gotz). I was short of fabric put eyelet on the bottom. It turned out cute and that piece of fabric is now history.

Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2019, 16:33:40 PM »
I made a 3 tiered skirt for one of the dolls. It is kind of cute.

The belt came from the jewelry section of a craft store and is closed with a necklace closure. Very simple to do. 2 O rings to put on the closure pieces.

I've started knitting a sweater to go with it. A very plain blue on that matches the blue in the skirt.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2019, 11:24:42 AM »
I finished the sweater that goes with the southwestern skirt. It is a great fit and a wonderful pattern to knit.

I am happy that project is done. Now a break from doll items and am knitting people size hats.
Stash Busting 2023

annieeg

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2019, 11:38:54 AM »
Just delightful!!  :D :D

Nevis5

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2019, 11:41:41 AM »
Fantastic, and a gorgeous colour, too! <3

Ann

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2019, 12:31:35 PM »
I finished another dress for the dolls. The fit is fabulous, the design elements wonderful and most of the sewing techniques great.

A keeper of a pattern.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2019, 21:26:33 PM »
Another pattern by the same designer as the dress above. I was frustrated by not having lace and not finding any for the dress. I used organza trim which turned out really cute. Pattern fits the doll well and the instructions were good.

Stash Busting 2023

Fabric Lover

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2019, 09:39:26 AM »
What wonderful outfits you have made @Ann so talented!  I bet they don’t impact the stash very much.
  • Ann likes this
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Ann

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2019, 10:58:15 AM »
@Fabric Lover, thank you for your kind comments.

Doll clothes do not impact the stash much. It takes about .5-.75 meters to make a dress for them. A full outfit may take 1.5 meters and that takes a long time to make. Crazy as it seems, the dolls have their own stash of fabrics, ribbons, and lace. I've bought a few pieces for them but not for several months now. The aim is to sew up their stash a bit at a time. As I test for designers, I use up a bit each month.

I also knit for designers and am using up the wool stash. I had bought a bunch of yarn for $1.50 a skein and was going to donate it but one of the designers I test for calls for that yarn. I have 4 colors so have enough variety for that. Once it is gone, I will have to buy some more but will only get a small amount.

I am knitting a sweater right now and hope to have it finished by Monday. Once done, I will post a picture of it. It is quite cute.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2020, 11:46:00 AM »
I finished another test pattern. It was one that stretched me almost to my limits. I sewed slowly, read the pattern a lot, and quit when I started to feel stressed. I'm sure I have 12+ hours in this dress.

The bodice was very demanding with pleated set in a curved shoulder seam and then fit to an underlining. The sleeves were an egg shape which took a lot of time to gather and sew in. Then came the lining which was the easiest part if you read the directions correctly.

The skirt is pleated and it took me three tries to get it to fit the bodice. I think I have one pleat on top of another one which is annoying as I saw it when the dress was completed.

The hem was a bit of a confusion but ended up lovely. It has two channels in it with thick yarn threaded through it to make a padded hem.

I'm going to sew something easier now. Piping comes to mind as I love making it.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2020, 11:44:06 AM »
I finished another test pattern. The machine embroidery lace was a challenge. The design I wanted to stitch out wouldn't stay together when the wash away stabilizer was removed. I ended up using the second design which worked. The blouse pattern was another test pattern and went together well.

I made the underskirt to the Mary Laura dress to complete the Victorian looking outfit. It is a well designed pattern and went together easily.

I hope to make the blouse again using purchased lace for another Victorian look. But, I have a 1950's dress to test first.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2020, 10:33:51 AM »
Another test pattern finished. This one is designed by a lady who lives about an hour's drive from me. Keeper Dolly Duds (Eve Coleman) does a lot of historical/retro designs and all I've tested are extremely well designed. This dress is no exception. The dress is a 1950's circle skirt dress. I chose polka dots as I thought it was retro feeling.

I didn't do buttonholes as I was a bit worried about doing them (need to practice a lot more). I sewed on buttons and snaps underneath. Worked well.
Stash Busting 2023

Fabric Lover

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2020, 18:31:27 PM »
This is so adorable! And isn’t her hair lovely?  Very glam!
  • Ann likes this
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)