The Sewing Place

Sewing For Dolls

Catllar

Re: Sewing For Dolls
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2021, 18:41:45 PM »
Wonderful - such skill and they are so detailed!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Marniesews

« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2021, 11:47:42 AM »
Lovely outfit and that blouse is a real eyecatcher!  :)
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Ann

« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2021, 21:43:31 PM »
Thank you ladies for you kind words on the outfit. It is greatly appreciated.

I completed and outfit today that is more modern. The skirt is an easy basic pattern that I made in an expensive faux leather. I knew I wanted something fancy to go with the sweater and beret I had knit sometime last year. I'm happy with the results and Kit is proud to be modeling it.

Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

toileandtrouble

« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2021, 18:58:09 PM »
@Ann  The Meg dress looks remarkably like 'Amy's school jumper' by Keepers Dolly Duds.  Of course Amy would have   want something very much like her older sister!   
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 10:39:02 AM by toileandtrouble »
  • Ann likes this
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Ann

« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2021, 12:14:39 PM »
@toileandtrouble, Meg would have wanted something like her older sister.

I made another dress for the dolls. It is from a Butterick pattern and I added sleeves. But, the pattern needs some alterations. I did do the neckline (3/8" seam vs 1/4") and it fits much nicer. But the shoulder seams need to be 3/8" at the neck going to 1/4" at the shoulder. With those issues figured out, I will make my notes so I can make the dress again at a later date.

The cumberband stitching is beautiful and well designed. Sewing it together was something else. Adding the ties was horrid. Not long enough and you pleat and stitch them in place. Raw edges which I hate.

I am keeping the dress as a reminder of how much I've learned about couture sewing for dolls. And it is a dress Lea can wear at Christmas time.
Stash Busting 2023

toileandtrouble

« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2021, 13:05:45 PM »
The red dress looks good but I agree with you about raw edges!  I would want to alter that.  How is the black stitching done?  Is it hand embroidery?
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Ann

« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2021, 17:18:11 PM »
@toileandtrouble, the black stitching (really it's a shiny green) is machine embroidered. The lady did a wonderful job of digitizing it but how it is put together is not well thought out.

I'm not sure how I would do the ties again. I really have to think about the process in my head over a long period of time. I'm thinking longer and narrower and maybe one pleat rather than two. But how do I put it in so it won't have raw edges showing. I may have to do a simple mock up when I get closer to an idea.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #97 on: March 17, 2021, 09:41:11 AM »
I finished this outfit on March 13 and I have a love/hate relationship with it. The skirt and top are beautifully constructed and have some wonderful sewing techniques in its construction. The bustle feels like an after thought. Not lined and the instructions left a little to be desired.

I did not get the ribbons put on the sleeve bands or the front which tells me I'm done with this outfit for the moment. The color is hard to match so I will have to take a fabric sample with me to get the ribbon.

The back of the top fits to perfection but the bustle tends to hide it. The bustle bow needs to be redone as it isn't centered and I would like get that done correctly.

This pattern is labeled as advanced and I'm happy to say that I made it without any issues. I will not be making it again for a long time time as I have other patterns I'm looking at making.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2021, 11:46:43 AM »
Another test pattern done and I like this pattern except for the pockets. It is called the Bowling Pin Dress 1918.

I will make this again using two fabrics in a strong color. I will leave off the pockets though and have fun with the pattern. Once you get the collar done it is an easier make if you don't have to do the pockets.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2021, 21:44:19 PM »
I tested knits on my new sewing machine and I'm impressed with how it handles the fabric. I did stitch parts of it slowly (neckline) so it wouldn't stretch out of shape. I also tested the machine and how it responds to knits and matching patterns. Great job on that too.

Julie was thrilled to model it for me. It goes to the little girl I'm sewing outfits for. I'm sure her dolls will love this for summer wear.
Stash Busting 2023

Marniesews

« Reply #100 on: April 27, 2021, 19:08:05 PM »
I love the jazzy knit, what a cool vibe she has in her shades and sandals.  :D

I've switched over to my little Pfaff for sewing doll's clothes in knits. I really need to use a walking foot for them with the old Berninas which is very clumpy for such little pieces. The Pfaff's IDT is a dream for that though.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Ann

« Reply #101 on: April 28, 2021, 13:16:21 PM »
@Marniesews, the fabric is children's leggings I bought at a big box store. The fabric is quite nice compared to what I can buy in the fabric store in our province.

Pfaff's IDT is a dream I had a Pfaff with it and I was sorry when I wore the machine out. The Juki has a lovely built-in walking foot and I love using it with knits.

Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2021, 21:43:18 PM »
I got the 2nd outfit done today. Being in lock down gives me more time to sew but it's also hard as I can't get some items I may need for sewing. At least I have plenty of fabric and patterns.

Leah and Julie had fun modeling the outfits this afternoon. They found the 2nd pair of sunglasses for Leah to wear.
Stash Busting 2023

Marniesews

« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2021, 14:51:51 PM »
Those gals do look cool!

I'm a little jealous of your dolls, @Ann  . The Our Generation ones I'd seen until the last week all had the same face mould and the pale blond is by far the most common I've seen as used dolls for sale so any group quickly develops overtones of Midwich Cuckoos:[ Nothing dreadful people, just don't look if you find dolls a bit freaky.

Getting hold of American Girl dolls in the UK is very expensive, even as used – the only used one I've seen for sale was more than a brand new deluxe version of OG. I just missed getting another OG with a different face mould only last week  :'( but I'm picking up another good condition used doll tomorrow (a more golden blond). It's for a new project - more news later when it's underway.

Ann

« Reply #104 on: May 04, 2021, 15:56:40 PM »
@Marniesews, used AG dolls in Canada are expensive and I’ve had to really look for them at good prices. Leah and Julie were a bit more than I wanted but Julie is original and Leah is discontinued.  Other than a couple of new dolls, most of the other dolls were reasonably priced. My Gotz dolls are expensive with exchange, duties, and shipping, hence I stopped after 4.

Can’t wait to see your new project.
Stash Busting 2023