The Sewing Place

Sewing For Dolls

Ann

Re: Sewing For Dolls
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2020, 16:37:40 PM »
@Marniesews, I'm so excited you are joining me on the doll clothes journey. I don't mind if you directly copy or not. We all do it. We all do it on occasion as we love something and just have to do it.

One of nicest websites is O Sew Kat. People have used her when they started sewing doll clothes as her patterns are easy but classy. Down the right hand side of her web page is her free pattern that you get for signing up for her newsletter which is a nice newsletter. I read them all plus look at her blog. Her hacks and tutorials are wonderful. I bought the Sixth Grade Skirt, Popsicle Top, and the Backyard bibs. Her Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice dress is wonderful and she has a hack here on how to add button placket to the dress and the Popsicle Top. You can see the dress here. It is so darn cute done in a batik. I look at her outfits for inspiration as she puts together some really cute outfits in such perfect fabrics.

I have also looked at Rosie's Doll Clothes Patterns as a friend got all the videos, etc. when she learned how to sew doll clothes. I didn't care for the ones I got as much as O Sew Kat's.

Are you looking at Joan Hind's lessons? She has some really good information on sewing doll clothes. It was through her that I learned about flat sewing doll clothes. I also learned about fitting from her also which was very useful.

Have tons of fun and I am excited to see your outfits. And remember it is okay to collect dolls at our age. It is very enjoyable having them to sew for. I have Addy Walker arriving sometime around the end of the month. She is African American but when she hits this house, she will be African Nova Scotian. I am beyond excited to sew for her as she is an 1860's historical doll.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Marniesews

« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2020, 20:45:07 PM »
I can certainly see why you like the O Sew Kat patterns. The Sugar & Spice dress is charming. I've already seen Rosie's site and there were so many things shouting for my attention that it's become very clear to me that I'll have to reign in my pattern buying desires or I may spend way too much on them! If I can manage to resist them initially I may experiment a fair bit with the free patterns and Joan Hinds' slopers to begin with and select more detailed patterns after that.

I've collected a few fat quarters over the years although some have been used for masks now and the patterns on some will be out of scale for doll's clothes but I've enough to begin with. It's just occurred to me that the polycotton fabric that I normally avoid might be a better option for dolls because being thin they'll gather more easily around tiny waists and wrists. Any suggestions for good sources of fabrics for doll's clothes? I particularly like matching prints with plain yokes or bands on hems and they seem easy to find in polycotton. It's a good way to use up the little scraps too. Lawn would be perfect of course but I'll have to keep an eye out for bargains. Inconveniently my stash consists mostly of lycra, stretch mesh, organza and net along with lots of crin!

I don't really have a desire to become a collector at this stage, I'm more happy just now with the idea of making the clothes for children to play with -- we badly need to declutter as it is especially with all my dance fabric stash so that's definitely not to be encouraged!  :o
  • Ann likes this
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Ann

« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2020, 22:13:49 PM »
@Marniesews, I keep myself reigned in a lot but get lots of free patterns as I test for designers. O Kat Sews is one site I will allow myself the occasional pattern. The Sugar and Spice dress with the front band is easy to adapt on any pattern. I have a Butterick pattern that I can do it on. I find some of the simple patterns are the best to adapt. I sew the more detailed ones that when I want that one of a kind look.

I use a lot of cotton though I have some that is 50/50 cotton/poly. I buy my fabric in a brick and motar store as I supposrt a local business. She is a discount store with 6500 bolts of fabric in stock. I use to buy deeply discounted fabrics in the big box fabric store I worked in as I did all the discounting and would put the fabric I wanted away as I discounted it. If I want to do coordinating fabrics, I buy from a series as it is the best way to get that look. But, when I have the time I will look and play with the bolts of fabrics to get the look I want.

I am working my way through the stash and am pleased with how much I have used this year. Less of the doll fabric so it will be more of a focus next year. If you are using up your dance fabric, go to Pixie Faire and look under the Freebie tab for free patterns. There are some nice patterns and you can do swim suits to make little dance outfits for the dolls.

Most of all, have fun sewing doll clothes. I'm sure the little girls who get what you make will be thrilled.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2021, 16:49:19 PM »
The first outfit of the year has been done and Addy is so happy to model it. It is the Civil War dress by Keepers Dolly Duds and it took me 6 afternoons to make it. I took my time and had to do the cuffs on the sleeves twice as I wasn't paying attention.

Even the buttonholes cooperated for a change.

Next up is a test pattern that was posted today. I'll be working on it and piping for DD.
Stash Busting 2023

Marniesews

« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2021, 21:59:32 PM »
She looks lovely Ann. I've been quite surprised by the amount of patterns there are for historical styles. If I were sewing for my own collection rather than for gifts for children, I'd be very tempted because they look so impressive, perhaps the standard of them is shown most effectively in their more complex styling.   :)
  • Ann likes this
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Ann

« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2021, 12:46:36 PM »
@Marniesews, there are a lot of patterns with historical styles. I think they are mainly for people who collect dolls rather than for children who play with them. Some of the purists won't buy hand made outfits as they collect only the doll's clothes and accessories.

I finished an Edwardian era dress yesterday. It is another Keepers Dolly Duds pattern and it is cute. Though an intermediate pattern, I had pre-thought out the steps as I read the pattern. When do I serge the seams was my biggest pre planning issue. I got it right this time. 

I had seen this pattern a few months ago and was hoping it was going to be a test pattern. I read she will have 4 or 5 more patterns to have tested in the spring. They are based on Little Women. 
Stash Busting 2023

nototie

« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2021, 22:31:43 PM »
@Ann That dress looks lovely! I think the blue works nicely with the red with white polka dots.

Ann

« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2021, 21:38:28 PM »
Another dress is done and in the books. This one is called the Civil War Day Dress. It was a lot of work and there were some steps left out that made it more challenging. But I will know better the next time.

Another dress will be made next month. I have some ideas if I can find the lace I need for it. In the mean time, I'm going to sew some simple doll clothes mixed in with other items.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2021, 21:40:08 PM »
Too fast for my own good. Here is the back of the dress.

Stash Busting 2023

Marniesews

« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2021, 11:28:23 AM »
Another great dress Ann and the bold colour looks so good on this doll.
  • Ann likes this

toileandtrouble

« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2021, 06:52:32 AM »
I bought a second hand doll too,  inspired by @Ann.. I have no-one to sew for either, except me, but I used to love sewing for my dolls when I was young. Previously I bought male and female 12" dolls after making clothes for a friend.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Ann

« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2021, 10:40:23 AM »
@toileandtrouble, I have 12 dolls and no one to sew for either. I just enjoy doing it for the dolls and myself. I'm adding one more this month as I want to have a second doll of African heritage.

I can't wait to see what you will be sewing for your doll.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2021, 10:33:06 AM »
I did a 2nd test pattern this month and this one is called "Meg" in honor of Little Women. The blouse is an intermediate pattern but wasn't too challenging as I have done most of the techniques on the last two dresses. The yoke on the skirt was a easier than I thought. The skirt was easy.

The skirt center back seams have a curve in them and are a pain to serge and look tacky when zig zagged. I have started to do a Hong Kong seam finish on them. They look so nice done that way.

The back of the blouse closes with button and the skirt with a snap. The sleeves have plackets and cuffs. I closed them with a snap and sewed a button on top.

Addy says this outfit reminds her of spring.

Stash Busting 2023

Lachica

« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2021, 10:41:34 AM »
Those are lovely, such skill with tiny garments.
  • Ann likes this
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

sewingj

« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2021, 11:49:54 AM »
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 19:12:58 PM by sewingj »
  • Ann likes this