The Sewing Place

Sewing For Dolls

Ann

Re: Sewing For Dolls
« Reply #120 on: May 26, 2021, 10:18:17 AM »
@toileandtrouble, they are a pain. You can use a leader fabric to help you so it goes through like a bigger piece of fabric. Quilters use it when they start sewing pieces together. I would finish them with a sealant as you will never get them through the serger. I've done that before.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

toileandtrouble

« Reply #121 on: May 26, 2021, 10:38:21 AM »
Thank you @Ann  I am thinking for a cuff I will cut one much longer so I have something to hold onto and then cut off the excess seam allowance.  I can't get them straight as it is.  I even thought of hand sewing them.
  • Ann likes this
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Ann

« Reply #122 on: May 27, 2021, 11:30:58 AM »
I'm just venturing into the Erin Hentzel books (Doll Days! and Doll Dress Boutique). Do you have either? The blouse I'm doing now seems much too wide for my Our Generation dolls and the neckline stands proud of the shoulders but it looks rather like that in the photo so I'll be doing a bit of tweaking myself. I'm hoping all those dresses in the Boutique book are going to be nearer the mark.

@Marniesews, I don't have either one of those books but have two on doll dressmaking that include patterns. Most are vintage pattern ideas and I really should look at them and make some of the outfits. I got them at a used book store we frequent.

I'm putting the binding on placemats right now so won't be looking at doll clothes for a few days as I need to get them done and photographed for the shop the main fabric came from. I'll be watching TV a lot while I hand sew the binding down.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #123 on: June 02, 2021, 11:12:32 AM »
I printed another t-shirt and added 1/8" to both the neckline and armholes so I could make a sleeveless t-shirt for the dolls. I'm quite happy with the results.

I'm very happy with how well the armholes fit.

Next up is to use the pattern and make a wrap dress for the dolls. I'm enjoying modifying the pattern which is free.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #124 on: June 05, 2021, 16:12:48 PM »
The wrap dress is done and the first thing I realized was the back seam needed to be removed when placing it on the fold. I didn't do it so have a seam down the back. Doing it as instructed made the back neckline too baggy. Other than that, it was a fairly easy sew.

I'm done for now sewing with knits. Time to do some piecing of a doll's quilt. Something easy so I can practice free motion quilting on it.
Stash Busting 2023

Marniesews

« Reply #125 on: June 05, 2021, 19:53:26 PM »
Your wrap dress looks very good.

I've one on my ridiculously long list now after seeing a hack for the free Liberty Jane Trendy T-shirt to turn it into a similar looking wrap dress - is that what you were following? If so, mental note to omit the back seam & allowance.
  • Ann likes this
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Ann

« Reply #126 on: June 06, 2021, 00:42:46 AM »
@Marniesews, I used the Pixie Faire hack.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #127 on: June 18, 2021, 20:03:23 PM »
Onto the next test pattern and I did the top. Quite like it as it goes with a wardrobe I'm making for the dolls.

I wanted it to go with a skirt I made a month ago and it is a perfect combination.

Happy with what I have done - knit top, skirt, and woven top. Next will be another top and capris made in a plain chambray. The top will reverse to the print in the skirt.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #128 on: July 22, 2021, 12:21:00 PM »
I've done 2 test patterns in July. There were no patterns to test for the longest time so I did the first one to meet my monthly requirements.

I am not a great fan of how mine turned out as I was using what I had in the stash.

The 2nd pattern came out just over a week later and I had to make it. I've been waiting for this pattern for quite a while now (months to be exact).

The dress is my new favourite basic dress pattern. I'll use it when I don't want a gathered skirt. The pleats are easy to make and really cute.

I spent a lot of time on the jacket as it was quite detailed to make. Instead of lining it, it had a facing that I did a Hong Kong seam finish on.

The outfit is really cute and I'm pleased with the end result.

With all the clipping of the scallops, I need to sweep the sewing room floor and tidy up my mess. It is back to quilting for the rest of the month.
Stash Busting 2023

Marniesews

« Reply #129 on: July 25, 2021, 01:49:28 AM »
Quite a contrast to leggings @Ann !

The green one has the feel of traditional dress. Then, as soon as she pops on that cute little detailed jacket over her summer dress she looks like she's all set for a trip out with Aunty to a smart cafe for Afternoon Tea.  :)
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

sewminds

« Reply #130 on: July 26, 2021, 01:07:28 AM »
Crikey! You have these little makes down to a fine art! Kudos!
Sew it needs juice!

Ann

« Reply #131 on: July 27, 2021, 10:49:48 AM »
Thank you for the kind words @Marniesews and @sewminds
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #132 on: August 13, 2021, 21:34:20 PM »
I did another test pattern and spent a lot of time fussy cutting - 2.5 hours to be exact. But it was worth it.

The back has the wow factor for sure.

I also made the bonus tote and did the embroidery on it. There are a lot of embroidery files but I only had a limited amount of fabric and wanted to showcase the print so I didn't do any other embroidery.

I'm going to play with this pattern in September and use a chambray and lace trim. Seeing how it will look done like that. I may even do some embroidery on the sleeves. Only if I have enough fabric.
Stash Busting 2023

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #133 on: August 14, 2021, 00:04:55 AM »
Sweet. Impeccably done like always.
  • Ann likes this
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #134 on: August 14, 2021, 10:24:37 AM »
Crikey, I don't think I'd have the patience for something that small and fiddly.