The Sewing Place

Sewing For Dolls

Ann

Re: Sewing For Dolls
« Reply #150 on: October 03, 2021, 21:22:28 PM »
When you are test sewing, do you get to try the 'final' version, or is that compiled from the testers comments?
I have just bought a pattern and I cannot make the pieces line up as they should.  I'm amazed no-one else has reported it, so I am thinking  a mistake got in after the testing stage.

We don't get to do the final version though the designers are to fix all the mistakes we find which includes pieces that don't line up. That is one that testers seem to be the fussiest about. I've shouted out about pieces not fitting together properly and I've cut them out in the next version to see if they do fit properly.

If you bought the pattern from Pixie Faire, log in, go to the pattern and put it in a review. It should be seen by the designer who should put it back out to be retested. Unless it was an older pattern (before my time) and it wasn't tested like they are today. I knit a sweater from one Pixie Faire designer and it was full of mistakes. I figured it out and left a review that it needed testing again. The designer is no longer with them and it will never get fixed. Personally I think that pattern should be pulled due to the mistakes.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

toileandtrouble

« Reply #151 on: October 03, 2021, 23:16:16 PM »
@Ann Thank you, I will put it in the review. I have been in touch with the 'support' team, but they don't seem to understand what I am saying.  There are a couple of other things I think ought to be changed but that is the worst.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

toileandtrouble

« Reply #152 on: October 07, 2021, 23:22:05 PM »
Finished the  coat  ( with the shortened facing!). It is pretty cute.  Now going to make another with a perfect fabric I found as the lining.  Must make a list of points to send on feedback too.
Just bought a Kwiksew pattern for 18" dolls.  That is what it says on the back, near the fabric requirements. On the front, it says 14" doll clothes. No mention of size on the pattern paper.  The pieces look right for 18" but I have sent an email to the supplier so they can report it back..
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Ann

« Reply #153 on: October 18, 2021, 16:49:00 PM »
@toileandtrouble, it is crazy how things are not checked for size. I'm sure people who wanted it for a 14" doll would be very upset to see the pattern pieces are too large for said doll. And if you can't return (like here in Canada) you're out the money until you finish dealing with the company.

I finished another test pattern called 1930 Rising Star. A cute pattern that fits well. I chose a pale color as I was digging through the doll's stash as I'm not buying any more fabric this month. At first I was unhappy as I felt it had no wow factor but it is growing on me.

I have to tack the very last points at the back to the body of the fabric as they stand up. I've done that in the past to make collars lie flatter.

Two more patterns will be coming out to test and one is Beth's dress from Little Women. I will be making that one for sure.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #154 on: November 03, 2021, 10:50:32 AM »
I finished another test pattern. An easier pattern that turned out cute. I need to replace the grey ribbon with cream when I go shopping. None in the ribbon stash.

Waiting for the next pattern as the designer wants it done by the end of the month.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #155 on: December 02, 2021, 21:29:36 PM »
I finished a dress which is called Beth from the Little Women series by Keepers Dolly Duds. The sleeves of this dress took me 1.5 hours to do. It was labor intensive but I love the results.

I used fabric and trim from the stash. That was a bonus.
Stash Busting 2023

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #156 on: December 03, 2021, 05:52:34 AM »
That is lovely @Ann . My poor Noelle is still in a drawer, naked to the world. I took her out of her original clothes as they were colorful, pink tee, purple cord skirt, some turquoise stuff, obviously very modern, and her vinyl was getting stained. She does at least have a nice blanket for company. I got her Christmas pj's and robe cut out way back when but that's it.
  • Ann likes this
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Marniesews

« Reply #157 on: December 06, 2021, 22:11:58 PM »
So very nice to see your steady flow of dresses, @Ann . Lots of work in those sleeves but very nicely done.  :)

I'm afraid mine have been abandoned (for now) as other Christmas sewing and stuff happening has unavoidably dragged me away. I'm disappointed not to have completed the sets I'd planned but that's life, they don't complain fortunately but I do feel a bit guilty at times.
  • Ann likes this
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Ann

« Reply #158 on: December 08, 2021, 16:27:51 PM »
@Marniesews, I am doing less for the dolls as I'm in the midst of Xmas sewing. I still have to sew a test dress for this month and make a lobster bustle. I will be sewing these as I clean the sewing room as I do a heavy duty cleaning in December. I rip the room apart area by area and clean it, reorganize it, and swear I'll be sewing the stash until the cows come home. The amount of stash has decreased a lot which is nice and I'm hoping I will be seeing more bareness on the shelves or smaller piles when I organize the fabrics.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #159 on: January 12, 2022, 10:45:16 AM »
I got the first test pattern of the year done. It is cute but I'm not a fan of the fabric. I used a pair of leggings and the horizontal plaid lines go uphill on the fabric. I did my best to get it matched but it was hard.

Stash Busting 2023

SunnyWave

« Reply #160 on: January 13, 2022, 10:58:32 AM »

Gotz dolls are made in Germany and are more popular over there. A few people I know here in Canada have started to collect them. I have 4 of them. Three are no longer produced and the 4th one will be available in August.

Here is a group picture of my 4 Gotz girls. I have 3 different face moulds and love them all.

Beautiful dolls! Have you sewn there clothing as well?

SunnyWave

« Reply #161 on: January 13, 2022, 10:59:56 AM »
The dress is done and I am saying it is a success. I had serger issues (thread broke) and one of the gather threads didn't want to cooperate. But, I'm happy.

I have another one to make in a grey and red plaid.

Great job, it really looks fantastic!

Ann

« Reply #162 on: January 13, 2022, 11:04:12 AM »
@SunnyWave, for the Gotz dolls I did three of the 4 outfits. The red outfit is the doll's meet outfit (she came wearing it).

Thank you for the kind words on the purple dress. It is a basic pattern that I love to make.
Stash Busting 2023

SunnyWave

« Reply #163 on: January 13, 2022, 11:10:53 AM »
@Ann you are talented, thanks for your reply and sharing with us

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #164 on: January 13, 2022, 11:14:06 AM »
@Ann You must have the patience of a saint to do such fiddly work so well!
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."