The Sewing Place

Sewing For Dolls

Ann

Re: Sewing For Dolls
« Reply #165 on: January 13, 2022, 13:03:21 PM »
@Bumblebuncher, it is either lots of patience or a lot of stupidness. I'll take patience. I find some of the patterns take as long to sew as a simple shirt for an adult.

I need to look and see what I want to sew next -- maybe more pyjamas for dolls. I have flannelette out on the cutting table to make them. I may have to do that this weekend.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Ann

« Reply #166 on: February 07, 2022, 16:51:58 PM »
I finished the 1870's Bustle dress and it was a lot of work. I do like it though.

I didn't put lace or trim on the outfit as I didn't have anything I wanted to use or not enough of what I wanted to use. It turned out really cute with just the white cuffs as contrast.

The bustle is held up with a piece of twill tape that you sew in place with a button. It took me a bit to figure out how to get it looking nice but it worked. The back of the top is long with a pleat and it folds out really neatly over the bustle.

There is another dress that is even more intricate to test but I am not sure I will get it done before the test deadline. I have to make a lobster tail bustle to go under it first. But I may start it and work on it when I have time. I do like the end result. I also have to look for 6 meters of lace for it also.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #167 on: February 22, 2022, 10:46:04 AM »
After 3 weeks of hard slugging, I finally got another historical dress completed. I had to make a bustle and petticoat to go with it which is included in the 3 weeks.

The dress was suppose to have 6 meters of lace on it but I didn't have any in cream colored and the day I was in the quilt shop, it was so crazy that I didn't look at lace. So this outfit is very plain but, in my opinion, stunning.

The back is made up of rows of ruffles and I love how they look over the lobster tail bustle and petticoat.

The 9 AG dolls I own are in historical costumes ranging from the 1700's to 1930. I have taken a temporary leave from the testing groups as DH is having some mental issues that is probably dementia related. I also need to get back to other sewing as I need to continue making Xmas gifts for this coming Christmas.

Stash Busting 2023

Diane

« Reply #168 on: February 22, 2022, 10:57:31 AM »
@Ann That really is lovely, you are very talented  :thumb:
  • Ann likes this
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #169 on: February 22, 2022, 11:56:00 AM »
Having made a costume like that for an adult, I fail to see how you could possibly have done that so neatly and beautifully and
I am in awe!
  • Ann likes this
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Sandra

« Reply #170 on: February 22, 2022, 16:51:11 PM »
When I read that you needed 6 metres! of lace, I wondered why. For a doll?...but now I've seen the back of the dress, I understand why.
That's really beautiful.

Sandra.
xxx

coffeeandcake

« Reply #171 on: February 22, 2022, 17:02:57 PM »
Beautiful dresses, as always @Ann. I would love to be dressed like your dolls :)
I hope you're able to get good help for your DH.

Ann

« Reply #172 on: March 02, 2022, 12:41:49 PM »
I finished another outfit for the dolls. This was an easy pattern that is well drafted. I enjoyed making it very much as it was a bit of brightness during our latest snow storms.

It is a halter top and I do like how it fits the dolls.

I'm playing with this pattern as the designer has lots of ideas. One is for an apron that I will be making when I sew up the Christmas fabric scraps into mug rugs and a gift bag. I have plenty of trim and can make some if I need to.
Stash Busting 2023

Kwaaked

« Reply #173 on: March 02, 2022, 12:58:00 PM »
I have a dress form rather than a doll and have a few samples made up in my shop to "show" my sewing skill (permission from designer with attribution of patterns).  I have to remake a few now, though.

Ann

« Reply #174 on: March 23, 2022, 20:59:06 PM »
@Kwaaked, I was going to buy a dress form but the shipping from the US to Canada was so high I scrapped it.

I made another dress to compliment a sweater set. It is a cute alternative to my basic dress pattern that has a gathered skirt. This one has pleats and a bit of gathering.

The dress is Keepers Dolly Duds Church Bazaar dress. It has a jacket that comes with it. I didn't make it this time but did when I tested the pattern.
Stash Busting 2023

Kwaaked

« Reply #175 on: March 24, 2022, 01:25:03 AM »
@Kwaaked, I was going to buy a dress form but the shipping from the US to Canada was so high I scrapped it.

The dress is Keepers Dolly Duds Church Bazaar dress. It has a jacket that comes with it. I didn't make it this time but did when I tested the pattern.

It took me forever to find a form...even naked it makes a good decoration.  Sometimes I put it in my window when I make one of the fancier items. 

KDD is a nice company.  The lady that runs it is one of the best out there.

Ann

« Reply #176 on: March 24, 2022, 09:36:47 AM »
@Kwaaked, she is one of the best designers. She sent in her last pattern to be tested and now is retiring. She lives about 50 km (30 miles) from where I live. I have never met her but we do buy fabric from the same quilt shop.
Stash Busting 2023

Marniesews

« Reply #177 on: March 25, 2022, 16:43:47 PM »
I'm afraid I've abandoned my doll clothes quite heartlessly for over 6 months while I've been obsessed with bag making.

You've done a stirling job representing the genre it has to be said.  :star: However, I have to make a rag doll for a friend's granddaughter very soon so I'll have to get back to that once the current bags are finished.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Ann

« Reply #178 on: April 04, 2022, 16:41:05 PM »
I got another outfit sewn and I'm loving it. The skirt is a pleated skirt that is attached to a yoke. Very easy to make and looks cute in both prints and plaids.

The top was a pattern in the stash that was for testing and I didn't get it done. Thought I would try it and see if I liked it. The pleats at the front were difficult to make the first time I did them. I just didn't get them right at all. Carefully picked them out and did them again. When I got it they were easy. DH has had a lot of melt downs lately so I read the pattern and start sewing on it 3-4 hours later. The rest of the pattern was easy to follow and well drafted.

I love the back of the top so much it has inspired me to make this as the top to go with an Edwardian walking skirt.

I will be doing doing a few things differently as I'm using a different lace on it. I'm looking forward to sewing the next rendition of the pattern. 
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #179 on: April 11, 2022, 10:50:15 AM »
I got doll pj's made for a boy doll. I had made pj pants for DGS 3 Christmas's ago and this was the left over fabric. The pattern is Simplicity 5276.

There was enough fabric to also make 2 flannel blankets which I did a rolled edge on and 2 pillows.

I'm certainly happy to have this fabric used up and I know the little girl I sew for will be delighted to have pj's and blankets for her boy doll.
Stash Busting 2023