The Sewing Place

Sewing For Dolls

Ann

Re: Sewing For Dolls
« Reply #195 on: August 12, 2022, 12:43:53 PM »
@sewminds, I may do it if I make the top again. It could sit on the shoulder and be a pretend shoulder seam. Good idea and thanks for it.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Ann

« Reply #196 on: August 14, 2022, 22:11:07 PM »
I put the yellow top on backwards and changed the snap position and it is fitting better in the neckline. I'm much happier with it. I need get a flat yellow button for the front as the star keeps flopping around on me.

I have the t-shirt for this wardrobe done also. I put hot fix crystals on it in yellow (they are called jonquil).

Next up are matching capri leggings and then onto shoes. My first attempt at making shoes for the dolls.
Stash Busting 2023

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #197 on: August 14, 2022, 22:57:11 PM »
They are looking great @Ann, glad you are getting some creative time in your sewing room.

Ann

« Reply #198 on: August 15, 2022, 11:57:53 AM »
Thank you @SewRuthieSews. It is hard when you have to deal with everything in the house and take care of DH. I miss out in a lot of things in life now so sewing has become a respite for me. I can be creative and have some time away from the stress and strain of life.
Stash Busting 2023

Ouryve

« Reply #199 on: August 15, 2022, 23:03:36 PM »
They're looking good,  @Ann.  A little time,  however brief,  doing something you love is so restorative.

And that is a really lovely doll.  I find some of them a bit creepy as their faces are so blank but she is really sparky.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

toileandtrouble

« Reply #200 on: August 16, 2022, 04:23:05 AM »
Are you using the precut soles? I am wanting to try shoes too. I have got a few suitable bits for uppers (and a pattern) but have to make some suitable soles. Worried about import duty if I buy from USA. I found some tiny buckles I want to use. 
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Ann

« Reply #201 on: August 16, 2022, 13:10:58 PM »
@toileandtrouble, I am using precut soles and insoles that I bought from a buyer in the US. I didn't have to pay import duty as it comes under a duty free category into Canada. Shipping was expensive though.

I am making Love U Bunches Plain Jane shoes which I bought at Pixie Faire. She has this video out to help put on the soles and talks about how to finish soles you make yourself. I am also going to make these Bow Knotted sandals by Happy Bannky Craft Mom. It is a free pattern and she has a video on how to make them also.

I am hoping to make the Plain Jane shoes to match the Regency dress but the ultimate goal is to make them out of leather.  I have thin leather and know I will have to line them. I am looking forward to making them.

Hope this all helps you.

Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #202 on: August 16, 2022, 13:15:17 PM »
I got the t-shirt and leggings done for the blue and yellow wardrobe. I am quite pleased with it. No issues with this one and I did add hotfix crystals to the t-shirt to bling it up.

It is shoe time once I get things done in the house. I may have time to sew the uppers this morning. It is a busy day for us of which I am expecting DH to have a melt down from so much going on -- cleaners, respite, and doctor's. I may have to go to the pharmacy to get prescriptions filled also.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #203 on: August 16, 2022, 13:17:35 PM »
@Ouryve, this doll has a lovely face. I love her blue eyes and sweet face. I think she is the sweetest face doll I have. I don't dress her often and I really don't know why. She is a delightful model.
Stash Busting 2023

toileandtrouble

« Reply #204 on: August 16, 2022, 14:29:32 PM »
@Ann  that is the pattern I bought. I thought I could easily add straps if I wanted them.  I would have bought the precuts from the site too, but total cost would be too much.  I got some offcuts of leather and some bits are probably thin enough. I will get familiar with the pattern before I risk it.
Love the studs on the tee shirt.

Ann

« Reply #205 on: August 16, 2022, 21:21:37 PM »
@toilandtrouble, I am sure you can add straps to those shoes. I am planning on adding ribbons to mine so they will tie at the ankle.

I got the first shoe done to adding the insole. It wasn't too hard but I did take my time making it. I did a lot of pressing and they could use more. I haven't put them on the foot of the doll yet as I want to have the sole on and they be perfectly dry.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #206 on: August 17, 2022, 11:49:52 AM »
@toileandtrouble, here is the shoe without the sole on it.

I am happy with my first shoe but did learn a few things.

The back seam needs to be worked on more as it didn't lie as flat as I had hoped. I will try jewelry pliers as the designer recommends and then press well after using them.

The toe part didn't have points on it as I smoothed it as I put it onto the insole.

Watch the lining at the heel as I have a bit of a bulge in the lining.

I put the fabric on the insole and left it to dry while I did the back seam and the stitching around the part of the shoe that goes onto the sole. It was dry enough when I put the shoe upper on.

I left the shoe to dry overnight without the sole being attached. I had run out of time. I will attach the sole today after I do the 2nd shoe. It is ready to be glued onto the sole.

Overall I am happy with my first attempt at making shoes.
Stash Busting 2023

toileandtrouble

« Reply #207 on: August 17, 2022, 14:41:40 PM »
That is one neat toe! Looking forward to seeing them finished.
I was going to get out the pattern today, now it has matured  (since May!) but spent the whole morning cleaning out my oven, even taking the door apart, then just as I cleared up got a phone call. Apparently I have been invited for my gall bladder operation but the letter has not arrived.  Anyhow, while the nurse was taking my pre-op details, she was told there was a cancellation, and can I go this Friday instead? So definitely no doll shoes until next week at the latest and then OH will have to move the machine for me.  I can think about it though.

Ann

« Reply #208 on: August 20, 2022, 16:08:14 PM »
I did get the shoes done and only one issue. The soles are too big for the sandals. I am going to see if our neighbor will cut the insoles and soles down with our dremel when I do another pair.

Shoes

And the sandals. I forgot to cut the fabric bigger and glue under on the insoles. Learning curve and I was rushing.

Though the designer said not to cut clips into the part of the shoe that attaches to the insole, I am going to do it next time to see if the fabric lies flatter for me. I do try different techniques until I find one I like. More shoes will be made down the road.
Stash Busting 2023

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #209 on: August 20, 2022, 18:25:11 PM »
That’s so clever Ann.  I really like seeing these little outfits.