The Sewing Place

Fabric, Vintage Or Just 'Old'?

Sewbusy

Fabric, Vintage Or Just 'Old'?
« on: May 17, 2019, 10:06:23 AM »
What is vintage fabric and what is just old?

I have a variety of fabrics which I will never use and would like to offload them, but how best to describe them? No tickets or labels so an educated guess as to fabric content! Ok some definitely cotton, but some are a bit of a mystery to describe.
They are all 'old' as in not newly purchased but all unused, oh yes some Japanese made, I know that because it's printed on it in gold.

Should I just go down the route of photographs titled "I haven't got a clue'

Any help advice, interest or just nosey questions, I'm happy to answer.

wrenkins

Re: Fabric, Vintage Or Just 'Old'?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 10:17:01 AM »
Maybe go down the pre-owned but unused route. I once bought so called vintage fabric which, when it arrived, was bits of old cut up shirt and duvet cover!  :angry:
As for content...declare it as your best guess.
Good luck.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 10:27:18 AM »
I think that for clothing, and thus fabric, vintage means 20+ years old. ie from a previous era.  Some of the bits in my stash are definitley vintage by that definition :S

If you are looking to describe for selling just make educated guess, ie mixed fibre woven fabric, probably poly-cotton  or single jersey fabric probably viscose is fine.  Unless you know roughly how old it is I wouldn't bother with vintage, just describe it as xxxx fabric.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sewbusy

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 10:32:32 AM »
@wrenkins Definitely not odd bits, 2-3 metres some lengths. There's a length of red which an embroidered design which I believe is for making a 'Kurta' an ethnic clothing style. full embroidered neck/frontispiece and sleeve bands with sufficient fabric to continue for the back and sleeves.

It's a learning curve.

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 10:47:00 AM »
I was buying in fat quarters.  :S
Just describe it as best you can and as honestly. Maybe give an approximate weight too. Just roughly, T shirt, sweat shirt...that kind of thing.
To be honest I buy all sorts of stuff and most of it's a hit but with the odd miss. My worst miss was from Minerva so it's not just private sellers who get it wrong. Nowhere in the description did it say nasty or crispy!!!  :o 0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 13:09:38 PM »
Don’t forget to give us first dibs @Sewbusy

Surest1tch

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 18:51:17 PM »
Don’t forget to give us first dibs @Sewbusy

Definitely please

sewmuchmore

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 18:23:35 PM »
@wrenkins Definitely not odd bits, 2-3 metres some lengths. There's a length of red which an embroidered design which I believe is for making a 'Kurta' an ethnic clothing style. full embroidered neck/frontispiece and sleeve bands with sufficient fabric to continue for the back and sleeves.

It's a learning curve.
That sounds lovely, were/when are you selling?
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet