The Sewing Place

Quilting stencils

Stitches

Quilting stencils
« on: May 19, 2019, 13:20:49 PM »
I am thinking of getting some quilting stencils to help with my free montion quilting which fabric maker is good .have tried fixton pen but not happy with them
Many thanks .

Acorn

Re: Quilting stencils
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 13:45:56 PM »
I've used this one and been very pleased with it.  I've had other brands that are supposedly the same thing, but their lines disappeared really quickly - I mean within hours.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Stitches

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 15:23:24 PM »
Thanks Acorn will have a look

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 15:52:36 PM »
That's the one I use too and I am very happy with it. I got a fatter but similar idea free with a magazine and it was a disaster.  :S I'll stick with my ancient EZ.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 16:26:19 PM »
I don't wash my work so I use Frixion pens as they use heat not water  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Deafoldbat

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 18:44:39 PM »
The Berol washable handwriting pens work very well and come out easily. If you're marking dark colours and are going to stitch straight away, a sliver of soap will do (plain white is best). Instead of binning the last bit of soap (or sticking it to the next bar) put it aside to dry out and it will give you a fine line and last for ages - and you know it will wash out.

Pearl

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 18:54:55 PM »
I don't wash my work so I use Frixion pens as they use heat not water  :D

I used mine for the first time yesterday and was amazed at how instantly it disappeared.

rubywishes

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 21:06:09 PM »
I use Crayola Ultra Washable Markers...........there are quite a few different types of Crayola markers so you have to make sure you get the Ultra washable. They are only  few dollars over here for a box of different colours.

Lowena, does the frixion marks ever 'come back"? I've read on other forums where the marks sometimes reappear.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

supergran

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 22:19:30 PM »
I use Frixion pens for most marking jobs, but I found them not so good with quilting stencils. I think the blue wash out pens are best for those.
I also found that the Frixion pens sometimes leave a slight mark on some fabrics so you need to test them on any new fabrics you use. Plain black and red were the ones I noticed the marks left behind.
@rubywishes . They say if you put the quilt in the freezer (?) then the marks come back. Actually, I tried it with a scrap, and it does, but not very clearly. I guess, if you live somewhere as cold as that then it may be a problem.  ;)

Greybird

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 22:33:45 PM »
I use Frixion pens a lot but try them on fabric scraps first. The only fabrics I have found that they do leave a mark on are lining and similar fabrics. It's quite faint but still visible. I've never known the mark to return once ironed out.

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 08:55:05 AM »
I use frixion too but only tiny dots especially since I drew a line on a dark blue cotton that left a pale mark after being ironed out !!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again