The Sewing Place

How do you decide what to make next?

Tiggy

How do you decide what to make next?
« on: May 30, 2019, 17:54:51 PM »
As the title really. 

I want to sew, I’ve got fabric, patterns but I seem to have lost confidence in my ability to see what the finished garment will look like.
I feel quite frustrated.  It’s a bit like jumping off the top diving board at the swimming pool.  I’m dithering, wavering, hemming and hawing.
Pfaff Creative 4.5 ,  Babylock Gloria
Janome 3800QE

DementedFairy

Re: How do you decide what to make next?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 18:03:39 PM »
I often have a session of just picking a few patterns and a few fabrics from stash, match them up [don't overthink it, you have already shown taste in your choices remember] and then do a nice batch of cutting out so several projects are piled up ready to sew as the muse takes me.  Some simple, some more demanding.  Works for me!
C'est moi!

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 18:12:31 PM »
 What DF said...

dolcevita

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 21:44:09 PM »
I usually browse through magazines and patterns and decide what I'm going to need/want over the coming months.  I'll have a look through my stash and sort out fabric, notions, etc.  I often try and think whether it will go with anything else in my wardrobe, rather than make an 'orphan' garment.

Once I've done all that, I'll see something whilst out and about or in another magazine, ignore everything I've spent a couple of weeks thinking about and want something I have neither fabric nor pattern for but have to have it, so I do that instead.  It's all about the planning.  Then acting on impulse.

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 22:11:35 PM »
Have you got a tried and tested or favourite pattern to get you back on the horse?
Life's too short for ironing.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 08:18:37 AM »
If I'm stuck I make something simple like a T shirt from a TNT pattern, a cushion or drawstring bag.
That normally gets things moving for me.

In my sewing room I have a big cupboard full of fabric, and that inspires me before the patterns.
I like to play along on some of the contests here (where they interest me)

Contests Thread
I find that even if I have no real chance of winning its really fun to enter, like sewing along with a group.

I've joined in with SWAKOP, House Beautiful, Small People, about to enter something for Florals and will definitely play with stripes.

My personal approach (which may not apply to others) is to sew little capsules in colour families, that way I can always make outfits in my wardrobe but I do often use the same patterns repeatedly, and tend to pick simple shapes without much detail (not to everyone's taste).

Sometimes (and it seems a bit crazy to admit it) I sew the next thing because it works with the thread colour on the machines. I love to have my thread matching on the sewing machine, overlocker and coverhem machine. I've just set them all up with off white so can do lots of summery things with an off white background. I've started with some things for the florals contest, but have some striped seersucker for a top, a partly made dress that needs finishing and some scraps that could make a tee to go with my sage pieces.

I sometimes overlap projects which use the same thread colour, doing bits on one and then the other, no idea why. I like to have rough plans with some flexibility, but I suspect this is my personality, as I like an overall framework with some flexibility.

So perhaps think of a time when you really enjoyed your sewing, and analyse what about that period did you enjoy.
Do you like to make very complex garments? Do you enjoy sewing for others or for yourself?
Are you wanting to make contemporary relaxed pieces, special occasion wear, vintage styles?
Or do you like a lot of variety?

Maybe your bugbear is you can't buy a specific garment so you want to focus on sewing that.

Have fun!

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 10:42:43 AM »
I'm a very undisciplined sewer, and very often go 'off piste', and just randomly sew for the pleasure of it.  I often find that by sewing something daft - like the latest memory bear, it gives me chance to think of something I would really like to have a go at making.

I was making real progress with stash busting and attacking the UFO's, when out of the blue, I found a pattern I really want to make - it often happens like that.

Just start sewing, maybe a few blocks of pw, or a tote bag - something easy, and it will get you into the mood, but also give you chance to think of what you would really like to make.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 11:01:45 AM »
I look through my patterns and pick out a few, then I make a list of what I fancy making. If nothing grabs me straight away I then consider if any birthday's are coming up and have a thunk what to make for those.

I haven't been feeling a garment vibe for quite a while now; mainly as I have more clothes than I can wear and a couple of the last few projects haven't worked out so has put me off   ><

Come August I start prepping for Christmas gifts. Apart from that I spend time browsing fabric sites and dreaming, tidying my sewing room and awaiting inspiration  :loveit:
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

sewingj

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2019, 11:33:39 AM »
I've realized I am the odd one out here.  I only sew when I need something - either to wear or for the house . Consequently the only thing I am sewing presently is a peg bag for my daughter. (Please don't throw me off the forum)

doesntworkonwood

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2019, 11:41:40 AM »
I'm like you @sewingj, I find a need first and then sew. I don't like having a very big wardrobe (I don't have room for a very big wardrobe), so everything I make tends to serve a purpose. It tends to be find gap in wardrobe, find pattern to plug that gap, find fabric to go with it.

This might change when I finish University and hopefully have a bit more spare time though.

Manuela

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2019, 12:27:00 PM »
If I’d wait for a need, I wouldn’t sew anything for a loooooooong time.... Sometimes I plan what to sew, usually big/complicated projects (coats, jackets, the ‘fishy quilt’ I’m planning. Sometimes I look at something online or in a shop window and create my own version of it. Sometimes I come across a pattern or a fabric I like and go from there. My current project is something I saw in a movie (The Hustle) and decided that I need it in my life.