Lowena

Re: recutting and using scraps - ideas?
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2019, 10:21:18 AM »
Go @Efemera  ( so do I )  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2019, 12:16:11 PM »
@BrendaP you are fantastic at this, thanks so much for sharing your pieces.

I use what I can, pass some onto a local contact who gives to school/craft groups etc and recycle some via my council if its no use at all. These days none of it has to go in the bin, however I would like to pass on more of it going forwards than I have in the past!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2019, 14:52:36 PM »
I’ve just had a massive clear out of fabric.  Some small scraps went to recycling. But I had 3 bags of fabric that I didn’t want to do that with.  Well that has gone to a school via my friend's DIL who is a teacher there.  I had contacted a Scrapstore near here to ask if they wanted it.  They replied asking me to send some photos.  I was a bit miffed at first.  It was bagged up, I was offering it them for nothing and I would take it over there too.   ><.  But I sent some piccies anyway.  Didn’t hear anything till the day after I’d got rid of it......yes please they’d love it.  Evidently someone had just taken over and was wading through emails. 
So if you have a  Scrapstore near you, try them if you can’t do anything with the fabric. 

I love how you @SewRuthieSews and @BrendaP have amalgamated the fabrics.  I’ve got a few out recently to try.  But they just look wrong!   :(. I never seem to have colours that go together.

Surest1tch

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2019, 15:21:13 PM »
There are some fabulous ideas there and thanks for bringing the subject up Ruth. I'm kind of ashamed to say I take anything that may be usable for patchworking etc to the charity shop, anything else goes to the recycle skips.
@SewRuthieSews I like that top pattern, which one is it please?

Acorn

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2019, 15:39:09 PM »
@BrendaP I am green-eyed over both of your jackets, and have had the picture of the blue one in my 'inspirations' folder for quite a while.  I am collecting pieces of velvet in order to pay homage to it.  When I do eventually get around to making it I shall call it my 'Brenda Jacket'.   :D

I also have several t-shirts, bought from Mountain Warehouse in their sales, which are quite a few sizes too small (I knew there was no way they would fit me, but they were bargains, and have such lovely motifs).  I have several patterns (StyleArc) that will work very well using them as panels, but I am having problems finding jersey that will go with them both colourwise and weight/stretch-wise.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

mudcat

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2019, 18:26:09 PM »
I have some knit scraps that are not enough for a sleeveless top but too large to toss.  I like the idea of using the print on the front and a solid on that back.  I'm pretty sure some of them have enough left for that. It would function well for my work wardrobe because I wear sleeveless with cardigan and never take my cardigans off at work.  Nobody else would know if was slightly off color-wise.  If nothing else some scraps may be suitable for bindings, pants pockets, etc. 

Margarita

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2019, 19:50:32 PM »
You can mix knits with wovens. There is at least one Burda envelope pattern that I know of (own) that actually is designed this way. Burda 6631 There is no reason why most t-shirt patterns can't be designed to use a woven fabric on some part.

Burda 6631

Acorn

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2019, 19:55:52 PM »
Yes - there are a number of StyleArc patterns that do - Bianca and Annika off the top of my head, but there are others too.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2019, 08:28:42 AM »
I mostly use New Look 6735 for my tops

It doesn't have any panels, so I created 2 alternatives. One copied the side panels on a sport shirt and the other has just the front cut into multiple pieces (inspired by a photo). For both of those I traced the existing pattern and cut it up and marked where I needed to add extra for seam allowances when cutting out.

Even simpler was to use the simplest top from New Look 6216 and cut the bodice half and half from 2 fabrics. I just folded the tissue out of the way when cutting.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2019, 08:31:58 AM »
The other thing I've enjoyed has been using stretch lace fabrics, and then having a scrap of something else as the lining for the body section. It changes the construction order and means you don't need a neckband.

Its made from my favourite pattern New Look 6735.
I've used the direction with the greatest stretch going around the body, which was actually lengthwise on the fabric. So the hems are the selvedge.

Construction therefore was different
- centre back and shoulder seams on lining body
- centre back and shoulder seams on lace body
- neck seam (with inserted elastic)
- topstitched neckline
- basted lace and lining together around the armhole and inserted the sleeve flat.
- topstitched sleeve seam to body
- basted lace and lining together at each side, then basted the side seams and sleeve seam.
- once confirmed OK, stitched and overlocked, threading overlock ends back into the seams.
- the knit lining has a high cotton content so should be nice to wear, it is left unhemmed and slightly shorter than the lace.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2019, 08:35:33 AM »
A sewing friend liked to make herself PJs from scraps, for example navy legs with red cuffs, red top body with navy sleeves and red cuffs.
That sort of approach works well for PJs or kids clothing, so we are not talking tiny scraps but still not enough of one fabric to make a whole garment.

Lowena

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2019, 09:41:34 AM »
Love that pattern @SewRuthieSews It makes me wish I had the ability and patience to make clothes  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2019, 11:57:02 AM »
@SewRuthieSews love the idea of the lace front.  Where do you get your stretch lace and knit lining from?   

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2019, 13:31:17 PM »
@SewRuthieSews love the idea of the lace front.  Where do you get your stretch lace and knit lining from?
@Ohsewsimple the lining was just in the stash, but too little to make a whole top and the stretch lace I bought from my local roll end shop, Economy Fabrics S42 5RA, though no idea if they still have any, its a bit random as to what they get in.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/economyfabrics/about/?ref=page_internal
http://www.economy-fabrics.co.uk/home
They don't sell online. The shop is just off Jn29 of the M1.

Gernella

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2019, 13:29:11 PM »
Some great ways of using scraps but unfortunately mine are never that size.  I buy according to what I think I can manage  with so usually the end piece of the fabric is all  that's left.  I do save them and generally use bits here and there where I can.  Eventually I have a total clear out and put them on Freecycle.  Last person who took them, used for dolls clothes and quilting.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included