The Sewing Place

recutting and using scraps - ideas?

SewRuthieSews

recutting and using scraps - ideas?
« on: May 17, 2019, 22:26:20 PM »
I sometimes enjoy using fabric salvaged from other garments, remnants or leftovers from other projects to make garments. There's something about there not being quite enough that spins the creative ideas.Other times it just annoys me and I park it for another time.

What approaches have you used with multiple fabrics or other ways to 'stretch' when there's not enough fabric.
I'm 5' 6" and size 18 so can't make things out of short yardage :-)

I'll share some of my ideas, but hope you can inspire me too.

SewRuthieSews

Re: recutting and using scraps - ideas?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 22:29:18 PM »
Most recent one was using a print for the front and neckband of a tee shirt, but a plain for the back and sleeves.

I've also seen in the shops (and Burda magazine) garments which have a woven front but knit back, and normally knit sleeves.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 22:36:58 PM »
Another idea is to make patchwork for part of the garment

Or add a contrasting yoke

Or add contrasting side panels

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 22:40:55 PM »
More ideas

Floral tee

Cardigan has contrast sleeves made from ponte and faux leather with a sweater knit wool body

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 22:41:33 PM »
Even more true 'patchwork' could be something like this from Ottobre

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 22:45:47 PM »
I have cut up an old wrap dress which shrank and was unwearable. However all the panels are too small to cut a new front from my TNT pattern, so I am currently debating what to do about that.

Another fabric has odd shaped scraps left over, so I could maybe single layer cut being careful to make mirror images.

Trousers could have contrast panels down the side. Anyone ever make any where the front and back were different?

Ellabella

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 00:07:15 AM »
Love these, it’s something I’d love to try as I save all of my usable scraps. I always worry though about combining different weights of fabric. Obviously one puts wovens with wovens but knits especially are so varied and have such different characteristics I’m never sure how things will work together.

Manuela

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 01:31:56 AM »
I love playing with prints, this is one of my favourite dresses. I currently have some remnants for another one like this.....

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Kwaaked

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 03:12:20 AM »
Only thing I do is shasko to my jeans.  I don't like wearing them anyway, and I just patch them with home dec fabric.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 07:41:49 AM »
Another idea would be to use a sewing pattern which is already in multiple pieces.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 07:43:29 AM by SewRuthieSews »

Celia

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2019, 08:46:54 AM »
Love this idea not sure I am adventurous enough to try it

fajita

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2019, 08:51:48 AM »
Re. The trousers. I've never made but have seen several times recently  young women wearing trousers where each leg is of a different fabric pattern.

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2019, 09:45:35 AM »
This
became this

Leftovers of the plain red  plus leftovers of another patterend fabric were used for
KwikSew 3766 used but any basic tee would work, just slash the front and back pieces diagonally and add seam allowances.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2019, 09:52:07 AM »
I now have two patchwork jackets  0_0

made from old jeans
and
made from vintage silk scraps

and I also have the skirt which earned me a TSP badge for use of scraps  :)
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Efemera

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2019, 09:53:01 AM »
I chuck mine I the bin  :ninja: