The Sewing Place

Fun with Stripes contest - 1.06.-30.06.2019

doesntworkonwood

Re: Fun with Stripes contest - 1.06.-30.06.2019
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2019, 07:48:36 AM »
I'm almost finished with my dress. I've just got buttons (which I've only ever done once  :S) and the hem to do.

indigotiger

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2019, 07:47:17 AM »
Fingers crossed that I will get my dress done in time to enter... I've a length of black/blue/grey striped cotton, and today I laid out the pattern pieces to make sure they all fit... I might have to piece one of the skirt gores, not sure what other changes will be needed.. and I will have to draft out a simpler collar than my usual or make it collarless.
Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage: Acorn Cottage Artisanry

StitchinTime

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2019, 08:41:39 AM »
I have fabric and I have an idea, the only thing I don't have is plenty of time to sew. There may or maynot be a "darkside-ish" entry from me.

doesntworkonwood

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2019, 18:51:17 PM »
It is done! It's not perfect, but I'm quite pleased with it and I learnt a lot along the way. I'm just going to put in the wash to get rid of all of the marks and then see if I can find someone to take a photo for me.

BrendaP

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2019, 15:41:48 PM »
I've just finished my nightie.

BrendaP's Entry

It's a nightie so loose fitting and oversize.  Long enough to reach to my ankles 0_0
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

What did you make and how did you play with the stripes.
The front and back bodice sectons are cut on the cross, partly for the effect but also much more ecconomical with the fabric; off centre lengthways fold for the skirt pieces and then bodice pieces from the remainder.

Pattern used

Butterick 5544

A short description on how you made it/problems overcome/etc.
I omitted all the frills; they would have needed masses of fabric and made unecessary bulk - it's a nightie!

Also I cut the front bodice single and used buttons all the way up (pattern says double so that the lapels can be folded back) the pattern on the underlayer would have showed through.

All the seams are overlocked, elastic at wrists zig-zagged rather than casing, and the hems are top stitched with  :vintage:  The buttonholes did its job too.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Acorn

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2019, 17:54:10 PM »
I've just realised that I have made stripes this month!!

What did you make and how did you play with the stripes?
I made a dress and nappy cover pants for my 6 month old goddaughter.  I didn't really play with the stripes, but I did make sure that they were balanced and symmetrical on the dress and the sleeves (and the pants), and that the centre stripe on the bodice matched up with the centre stripe on the skirt - and the pants!!  Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the back, but it has white heart-shaped buttons, and the stripes match up there too.

Pattern used:  Puperita Blue Tit dress and their nappy cover pants.

A short description on how you made it/problems overcome/etc.
The fabric is a Laura Ashley cotton lawn that has been in my stash for about 23 years.  I know this because I used the first part of it to make a dress for my oldest goddaughter when she was 6 months old - and she has just had her 23rd birthday!  The dress bodice and the pants are lined with white cotton lawn, and the word 'Blessed' is embroidered on the inside of the bodice.

I made both pretty much according to the patterns, although I used French seams so that there are no raw edges visible anywhere.  I added elastic to the sleeves, but kept it loose, because I want to be the godmother who made the pretty dresses, not the one who tortured her with tight elastic!

I hadn't used the nappy cover pattern before, but it is excellent, and was great fun to make.  The pants are fully lined and used what I think is called the burrito method.  I was very good and actually followed the instructions even though at one stage I wasn't sure what I was doing - but it worked like a dream.

They fit her beautifully, although I'm afraid I don't have a good photo to show you.

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lachica

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2019, 18:13:19 PM »
@Acorn that's a lovely outfit.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Lachica

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2019, 18:27:20 PM »
what did I make?Skirt for 2 year old GD.
how did I play with stripes?I didn't, but I knew that the stripes would appear horizontal at back & front & diagonal as the fabric draped.
pattern?I folded my fabric into 4 then measured from the centre point, marking at 10cm and again at 41cm. (Radius of waist line and radius to hem).  Cut along both curves to give a circle with a hole in the middle.
how did I make it? bought 40mm wide elastic, stitched it into a circle 50cm circumference. Overlocked circular hole in centre of fabric, stitched to elastic using 3step zigzag. Ran a gathering stitch around the hem about 5mm from edge, pulled up enough to avoid creases. Pressed then 2 needle coverlock.   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Mary

doesntworkonwood

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2019, 14:26:06 PM »
Okey doke, here's my entry.

Front
Side
Back

Doesntworkonwood's Entry

What did you make and how did you play with the stripes I made a maxi shirt dress. The design of the pattern meant that the yoke's stripes went in the opposite direction of the rest of the dress. I also tried to pattern match the centre front and back, as well as the side seams on the skirt.

Pattern used Simplicity 8014. I made view B with the skirt of view A.

A short description on how you made it/problems overcome/etc. Because I'd only ordered two meters of fabric (and Fabworks kindly sent me about 20cm extra) I decided to omit the full collar and pockets so that I could fit it in. I also ommitted the center back seam of the skirt so that I could pattern match with the bodice by cutting it on the same fold. The matching on the side seams of the skirt was sort of accidental. I didn't cut intending to match, but when I realised that there was only about 5mm in it I fudged it a little and hand basted the seams to get them to match.

Acorn

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2019, 14:28:05 PM »
Very nice indeed - and just look at that stripe matching!!!  :D
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

annieeg

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2019, 16:03:47 PM »
@doesntworkonwood
Great dress, really fresh-looking and very nicely made.
Particularly like the top stitching on the back neck yoke.
 :)

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2019, 16:07:26 PM »
@doesntworkonwood what a lovely dress, some really nice stripe matching!

doesntworkonwood

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2019, 16:21:34 PM »
Thanks guys, it's not perfect and I'm not too sure about the fit, but I am quite proud of it! Hopefully it will be warm enough to wear over summer.

Greybird

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2019, 20:27:12 PM »
So you should be proud - it's lovely!

Lachica

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2019, 20:31:54 PM »
That's lovely, great pattern matching on the side seams, things like that make such a difference.
Mary