The Sewing Place

Fun with Stripes contest - 1.06.-30.06.2019

indigotiger

Re: Fun with Stripes contest - 1.06.-30.06.2019
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2019, 06:44:48 AM »
trying my best to get an Everyday Dress finished by the end of the month... I've had to do some creative cutting out of pieces, and changed parts of the pattern. It now has a semi-convertible collar instead of a peter pan collar...
I am amused by the stripes in the front running in various directions. THe collar is only "semi" convertible since I don't see any purpose in running the (not yet sewn in place) buttons and buttonholes all the way up to the top of the button band, as I will never wear it all the way buttoned up!

Greybird

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2019, 10:11:46 AM »
That's beautiful! I love the clever stripes and the neckline looks as if it will be very flattering.

renita

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2019, 00:37:22 AM »
Some of the entries so far are amazing. I love them.
@Acorn - I love that you've put a secret message on the inside of the garment
@doesntworkonwood - what a great job at stripe matching - your dress is elegant and looks perfect for summer
@indigotiger - I too love the way all your stripes are coming together there at the front

This is definitely not an entry yet, but I've spent the weekend having fun making striped fabric at a Saori (a Japanese free-form style) weaving workshop.  It's about 25cm wide and about 5m long.  Now I just have to turn it into a garment! 

I have a pretty simple pattern in mind and there will be no chance of stripe matching, so should be a quick sew as soon as it's dry enough (had to wash it after weaving so it's on the line drying now).  I may get to submit an entry yet.  And whether I make it in time or not, I'm planning for it to be part of my SWAKOP collection somewhere, probably the bridging piece.  Then at least I'll have one piece done!

wrenkins

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2019, 06:28:15 AM »
This is definitely not an entry yet, but I've spent the weekend having fun making striped fabric at a Saori (a Japanese free-form style) weaving workshop.  It's about 25cm wide and about 5m long.  Now I just have to turn it into a garment!

Blimey! First make your stripes!  :loveit:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 07:45:42 AM by wrenkins »
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2019, 07:44:53 AM »
Wow @renita that's beautiful, would make an amazing Kimono style jacket of some sort!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2019, 07:52:13 AM »
SewRuthieSews's Entry

I made a cool summer top from a striped cheesecloth with some seersucker type qualities.

I started with the free pattern, sent to subscribers of the Prima women's magazine.

My version most closely resembles View B, however I curved the front hem, and cut the back curve slightly longer. I raised the back neckline slightly and scooped the front neckline slightly. I extended the cut on sleeves and added a wide bias band. I cut the back on the fold. Instead of the facing provided I finished the neckline with a bias band.

The bias bands were different widths and applied in different ways to suit the application. The one at the neck was 2 inches wide folded in half and sewn on to the wrong side of the neckline, folded round to the right side, pressed and topstitched. This gives a very neat and stable neckline.
The bias bands on the sleeve are 3" wide, folded in half and sewn to the right side with the seam then pressed towards the body and the side seam sewn,

BrendaP

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2019, 12:11:11 PM »
BrendaP's Second Entry

What did you make and how did you play with the stripes

Inspired by the recent thread about lifestyle changes I made some waxed food wraps, three medium and one large and a small bag.  The fabric is red and grey stripes; left over from a dress and matches the kitchen.

Minimal sewing skills, but I did make sure I cut on-grain in both directions and I overlocked the edges.

Pattern used
None

A short description on how you made it/problems overcome/etc.
I watched several You-tube tutorials, then ordered some beeswax and jojoba oil.
Grated the wax (akin to grating hard cheese) then placed freshly laundered fabric over baking parchment on a metal baking tin.  Scattered wax and a few drops of the oil over the fabric, topped with another layer of baking parchment and ironed.  I used my small travel iron and just kept going until the wax melted and oozed into all of the fabric.

I've used them for wrapping sandwiches a couple of times and the large one is currently wrapped around an iceberg lettuce in the fridge.

Pictures
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 11:08:52 AM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2019, 09:34:23 AM »
WildAtlanticWay’s Entry

A cross body bag as a present for my lovely daughter-in-law. The playing with stripes element is joining pieces together for the long strap and also mixing stripes with spots, diagonals and florals for a quirky feel.

Pattern used (commercial or self-drafted, anything goes)

Followed a YouTube tutorial.

Had previously made the same bag in pinky colours with a button closure at the top but felt that DIL might prefer something more secure so added a zip to the lining. I’d previously made a Tote bag that had a zipped lining so adapted that. I used Aldi Fat Quarters and a zip from Aldi too.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 16:02:16 PM by Manuela »

renita

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2019, 10:49:53 AM »
What a lovely summery top @SewRuthieSews - I like the adaptations you've made - I think they will make it very wearable.

Great wraps @BrendaP - they are so useful about the kitchen.  I was given one that was sewn into a little pocket, with a button and string I think to close it - great for taking a few nuts as snacks on the go.

@WildAtlanticWay - I love your bag - such a happy piece - very much in line with the 'fun with stripes' theme.

I've finished making a top from my stripey fabric, but it's too dark to take any pictures tonight - will have another go tomorrow hopefully.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2019, 12:37:15 PM »
@SewRuthieSews  I’ve got that pattern too! I thought it looks nice and simple so right up my street. I’m glad you’ve posted a pic of your finished top and mentioned how you’d adapted it. I love your fabric choice, just perfect for the current warm spell we’re having.
I can also look back at your pic if I start to feel stuck.  :)

indigotiger

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2019, 20:13:34 PM »
indigotiger's Entry

an Everyday Dress.  I had a lot of fun changing the directions of the striped fabric, bias on the bodice fronts, horizontal on the collar, inner button band, and back yoke, vertical on the bodice back, outer button band gores, and sleeves. The vertical stripes on the gores form chevrons where the seams meet. I played with various options for the place where the button band and collar met, to find the one I liked the best.

Pattern used
my "Everyday Dress" from my small collection of heavily adapted and transformed patterns. I think that the gored skirt of this one originally came from a Sandra Betzina pattern, the front bodice from a Tom and Linda Platt pattern, and the rest of the pattern is self drafted

I had been saving this striped black/grey/blue fabric for some years, and in the interim, I somewhat expanded in size, which meant that I didn't have quite enough fabric... I laid out the pattern pieces and determined that if I made the skirt panels a little shorter, changed my usual peter pan collar to a straight band convertible collar, cut the button bands from the scraps in two different directions, and pieced the pockets so that only the area visible was from the striped fabric, I could still get a wearable dress.

I knew that adding a decorative band of fabric to the bottom edge of the skirt would be simple, as I have done that before, to good effect. I used the fabric from a much beloved and worn out black/grey polkadot Everyday Dress for both the hemline trim, and most of the pocket pieces...

There was barely enough of the stripey fabric left to cut out pieces large enough to overlap the size of the pocket openings, so I chose to simply zig zag the fabric in place on both raw edges, holding the edges down neatly onto the polkadot fabric. Any other seam treatment would have created either stiffness or a ridge right at my hipline. Using the "fashion fabric" for only part of the pocketing is a technique I have only seen in things like jeans, and have never tried before.

The collar was probably the most fun part of the project (despite my having to draft out a plain band collar). Before sewing it all together, I tried both ways of arranging the button band fabric, horizontal or vertical stripes on the outside. My initial thought of horizontal on the outside didn't work as well, since the horizontal stripes looked odd with the bias stripes. I am quite pleased with the way the small lapels turned out, and my having to piece the bias binding for the neckline meant that I could have the direction of the bias on the lapels be mirrored.

My new stripey dress has proven to be a good addition to my wardrobe, and will be useful in all but deep summer, either by itself or in winter as a middle layer with knitwear under it and a pinafore over it

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage: Acorn Cottage Artisanry

Tamnymore

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2019, 20:23:32 PM »
Fab dress @indigotiger . Great 'frankenpatterning' to start with and the positioning of tbe stripes is really effective.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

BrendaP

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2019, 20:37:12 PM »
Great use of the stripes 0_0
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lachica

« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2019, 20:41:36 PM »
Great design & good use of fabric. Like you, I buy the minimum fabric as I hate waste, so I appreciate the amount of time that goes into  pattern alteration.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Manuela

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2019, 01:02:35 AM »
Love the way you played with the stripes @indigotiger, fabulous dress  :loveit: