The Sewing Place

Ottobre 2/2017 blouse

dolcevita

Ottobre 2/2017 blouse
« on: May 18, 2019, 16:13:28 PM »
I've been using Ottobre Woman magazine for a good few years now and like it for it's easy to wear patterns.  Their sizing is good as well, with a wide range, and the fit is a true reflection of what they state in their measurement tables.

I bought some lovely soft and drapey viscose blouse fabric with a busy print on it a couple of weeks ago, along with a few other bits and pieces, and chose a simple blouse design for Ottobre, issue 2/2017.  It's designed with a soft viscose in mind so works well.  I'm going to make another one in some cotton lawn that I bought (all from Jo-Ann in Southbourne, Bournemouth) but for the next one I will increase the depth of the back neck facing as it tends to pop out easily with the narrower width that Ottobre use, and there's no top stitching to hold it in place.  I also changed the hem to make it a high/low one - I find these work well for my pear shape and confuse the eye at that crucial level.

With no collar or lapels, the blouse only uses about 1.5m of fabric depending on its width, so it's fairly economical too.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Efemera

Re: Ottobre 2/2017 blouse
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 16:27:30 PM »
Love your fabric...that looks a really versatile blouse.

sleepingwolf

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 17:10:19 PM »
That is a really beautiful blouse. What a perfect match of pattern and fabric.

aprilla

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 17:13:12 PM »
That's a lovely blouse, such a useful pattern.
I've got a couple of Ottobre magazines but have never traced from one, they sortof scare me   0_0  I think it might be time to look through them again.

crafter

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 17:19:07 PM »
Very nice - pattern and fabric.  A good sew too, as they say on GBSB.

Are these patterns like Burda @dolcevita.  Included in the mag and multi sized for you to trace off?

annieeg

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 18:05:11 PM »
Hi @dolcevita
Its plain to see your break from sewing and TSP has not done your sewing skills any harm :)
That is a lovely blouse.  Was the fabric very slippy when you cut it out?
Annieeg

dolcevita

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 18:26:13 PM »
Thanks, @annieeg , but you'd laugh if you'd seen me sitting in front of my machine a little while ago.  I hadn't used it for ages and for the life of me, couldn't figure out how to raise the presser foot. It's a pfaff and after I'd fumbled around at the back for the lever for a long enough time to embarrass myself, I remembered that the button with the symbol of the foot and the up arrow would probably do the job! Duh!

Although the viscose is very soft, I would describe it as mobile rather than slippy and it behaved okay for cutting.  I did use a rotary cutter rather than scissors, though, which made a difference.

@crafter - the magazine works in just the same way as Burda and has 2 sheets with patterns for tracing on each side.  The sizes for all patterns run from 34 - 52, but with trousers they have different trace off pieces for 34-44 then 46-52. The instructions are succinct but better than Burda and the patterns tend to be simpler, neither of which is a bad thing. They also use real people as the models for their designs in the magazines and you can order back issues from the website.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 20:23:53 PM »
Love the print. I really like viscose. And the blouse is a lovely style.

Kenora

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 00:26:12 AM »
Gorgeous fabric and beautifully sewn blouse. <3
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

sewmuchmore

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 18:33:21 PM »
@dolcevita love that fabric, viscose is not something I have worn but I have seen some I like. I always associate drapey with clingy. Does it cling?
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Acorn

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 18:43:13 PM »
I find knitted viscose to be very clingy, but woven viscose not at all.  And I really hate clingy!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Morzel

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 19:07:43 PM »
Beautiful blouse, beautiful fabric. I really like viscose for blouses, I feel they look good because they are flowy and therefore look slimming. The neckline will be perfect for a nice necklace.
Eva

Starryfish

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2019, 19:24:22 PM »
Lovely blouse, I made one in a cotton lawn,and it is a favourite wear.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

dolcevita

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 20:05:18 PM »
Thanks, all.

@sewmuchmore , woven viscose isn't clingy at all, just delightfully soft and fluid.

@Starryfish , I've just finished my cotton lawn version of this but I do need to make a camisole to go under it as it's quite sheer.  I also used more edgestitching on this as the cotton doesn't lie as flat as the viscose version and needed more control.  Photo below.