#8 Helen M’s entry
1 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Voting closed: June 15, 2019, 17:48:41 PM

Florals Rule - The official Voting Thread - voting has started

Manuela

#1 Efemera's 1st Entry

Here’s my entry for the Floral Rules contest
Pattern is Sew Over It vintage shirt dress.
Altered the lapel shape from round to angular, added pockets, omitted the button through skirt, added a side zip and four inches in length. The pocket and zip were interesting to sew.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

#2 Efemera's 2nd Entry

This is my second entry for the Floral contest.

The pattern is Vogue 9232.
That fabric is vintage towelling.
A robe for the caravan... showering and drying is a pain in the shower block.
I shortened the bodice through the armsyce about an inch, did the matching alteration to the sleeve.
I used an open ended zip because I didn’t want to step in it or put it over my head.
I lengthened the short version by 4 inches.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

#3 Lachica’s entry

For a wedding on 9 June

Pattern used: none, first attempt at draping on the dress form

A short description on how you made it/problems overcome/etc:
This was definitely an a***e about face construction method! The fabric (heavy Georgette from TTC) has a lovely drape. There was only just over a metre at 150 wide as it was a remnant. I didn't want a lot of seams as not enough fabric to pattern match. I'd held it up on myself & liked the cowl neck effect. I pinned it onto Dolly with the bottom of the fabric just below knee level (except Dolly doesn't have knees, more of this later) & fiddled with the neck drape until I liked what I saw, then pinned the drape in place.     [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]   Pattern placement: I moved the fabric to avoid a large flower on each boob. To get an asymmetric drape I made 5 pleats on one side from the waist up to underbust. The cowl was wrong side out at this point, there was one side seam as the fabric was wrapped round Dolly, but she doesn't have arms and I have 2.   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  I tried it on and DH helpfully pointed out that my right arm was trapped inside. Also, the pleated fabric across my tummy was most unflattering. Removed pleats, stitched side seam.

Deep breath, cut off the top cowl fabric & joined it back on with right side to wrong side so cowl now had right side out. Also cut a slit to allow the trapped arm out. Rolled hems on armhole edges. It looked like a sack on Dolly. Pinched out a bust dart in the seam side, tacked. Pinched out 2 vertical front darts, tacked. Pinned shoulders, tried on. Tummy much better, would be better if I lost a stone >< made the darts a bit bigger, stitched. Each time it went on Dolly or on me, the cowl fell differently, so I hand stitched pleats on the shoulders along with a piece of ribbon with popper to attach to bra straps.   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  This stabilised it, should have done this sooner. Finally hemmed tonight, it's a bit above my knees (because Dolly doesn't have any). I also made a waist slip to avoid static/knicker view.   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

#4 Sewingforfun’s entry

Here is my contribution - my flower show skirt I made from a Liberty wool (Thorpe Lilstone, in a now discontinued colour way). I got the fabric as a remnant at the very end of the last bolt in the Liberty store, and the lining fabric (light grey) and a navy zip came out of my stash.

What event/occasion is it for

I wore it to the Chelsea Flower Show, and ended up quite literally in the show with my friend from America!

Pattern used (commercial or self-drafted, anything goes)

The pattern is entirely self-drafted, very simple just tapering out my basic skirt block by about 3-4cm at the hem and adding a really simple bound waist band. I didn't want anything too complicated since the fabric itself is so pretty.

A short description on how you made it/problems overcome/etc.
I wanted no back seam and a side zip, but because my piece of fabric was so small (only 75cm) I had to use a back seam anyway. I've put on a little weight since I made the block, so I moved it over to enlarge it, and toiled it using the lining. I wasn't quite as fat as i thought, so I then readjusted it a little narrower for the main fabric.

#5 BrendaP’s entry

What event/occasion is it for[/b]
The glorious warm summer that we are going to have this year.  :flower:

Pattern used
Simplicity 2247

A short description on how you made it/problems overcome/etc.
The fabric was snaffled from the sales table at craft club for the extortionate price of £2.  It's a lightweight cotton sateen so the left-overs bits are safely in the P&Q boxes.

I made version B with the C cup option but as I often do I increased the flare of the skirt slightly, an inch or two on each panel, just tapered out by eye as I cut.  The invisible zip went in first attempt  0_0  and everything else was probably pretty much according to instructions though I didn't really look at them much.  The bow was an afterthought as the neckline looked a bit plain.

Pictures
   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

#6 SewRuthieSew’s entry

Planned for a family get together at my brother's later in June. As it is daytime and fairly relaxed and I thought the floral lace felt summery and fresh.

I've used the 3/4 sleeve top and cardigan from New Look 6735.
I've not included the belt for the cardigan, and I've underlined the front of the top with some white mesh just to add a bit more coverage there. To do this I basted the two layers together and then treated as one during assembly.

I may update this post with a photo of me actually wearing the items.

#7 Holly Berry’s entry

I’ve not made it for any specific event, although plan to wear it to our Sewing group afternoon tea.

The pattern is Butterick 6412. I changed the skirt from semi-circular to box pleats. The fabric was nice to sew, however the seams when pressed shortened the length by 3 cm, so I had to shorten the rest of the hem. I used bemberg lining, as recommended by a few on here, and that was beautiful to sew.

#8 Helen M’s entry

Swim suit cover up

Hot Patterns Peachy Beachy Poolside Cover-up http://contentm.mkt2178.com/lp/814/2043/HP_fabric.com_PEACHY_BEACHY_POOLSIDE_COVER_UP_MAY_2010.pdf?cm_re=SL1-_-crhdqtr-_-Beach%20Coverup

I used a white double gauze fabric with a black dandelion motive. The facings did not match up at shoulder seams, the pattern piece was a bit off so I made a new one. Only fiddly part was the casing which also joined the top and bottom pieces making it a bit more bulky. Markings on pattern were a bit sparse....

On reflection I think a contrast cording would look better and perhaps a black button, but I didn't fancy the colour bleeding when it was washed!  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I’ve just returned from holiday and the garment was well used. The button opening makes it easy to step into and pull up rather than have to pull over your head.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 18:01:21 PM by Manuela »

Manuela

Re: Florals Rule - The official Voting Thread - voting has started
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 00:07:01 AM »
Vote people, vote :)