The Sewing Place

Ann's Sewing Room (Third Try)

Ann

Ann's Sewing Room (Third Try)
« on: May 19, 2019, 21:43:31 PM »
We moved across Canada from BC to Nova Scotia 18 months ago. We bought a newer home that had a huge bedroom in the basement. That room became my sewing room. I had plenty of room to set up the sewing room as it is 17'x25'. One year into sewing in the room, we took it apart and painted it a pale grey. The brown color on the walls were too dark and sucking all the light out of the room. It brightened up the room and we were ready to start painting the trim and put it on. We arrived home on Apr. 3 to a flooded basement. Plans thwarted as we had to make an insurance claim and live with our possession taking up all our space in the house and garage.

Yesterday, I cleaned the sewing room, put on the door handles, light switch covers and washed the floor. Other than needing the plug-ins put back in, I'm waiting for a crew to put everything back into the room. I did dig around in the garage and under the guest bed for bins that I could put into the closet.

The sewing room has been painted light grey and it has white trim. We kept it simple so it will be easy to clean. The flooring is long plank vinyl with cork backing. We paid extra to have that put in and love it. I'm thinking that will all the white furniture I own, my splash of color will be blue.

The closet with the doors closed and before I put the handles on.

Closet with shelf full of bins.

I am putting a cube on legs in the closet for more storage. The top can hold trays of projects to be sewn.

The nook in the room where I will have two desks. One is an antique that is for display. The other desk (new as the one I had was water damaged) is where I do jewelry, pattern drafting, and internet searches.

I will add more pictures once the room has been set up. I'm looking forward to sewing once again in my domain.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Acorn

Re: Ann's Sewing Room (Third Try)
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 08:28:15 AM »
It's going to be fantastic!
  • Ann likes this
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 08:39:45 AM »
What a great space.

Ann

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 11:19:14 AM »
Thank you for the kind words. DH and I got a small table that holds pressing supplies and a plastic drawer into the room yesterday. Just put in as the electrician needs to put the plugs back into the walls. Today I am going to set up a box in the closet and put items that have been stored in our bedroom in it. I'm slowly trying to claim our bedroom back again. Actually, I'm trying to claim upstairs back again.
Stash Busting 2023

snoozi soozi

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 11:23:54 AM »
I'm jealous, what a fab personal space that will be for you @Ann
  • Ann likes this
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Nevis5

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 12:02:31 PM »
Wow, that's going to be beautiful!  How lovely xx
  • Ann likes this

Manuela

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 12:17:49 PM »
I do remember when you set it up back then and all the planning involved...
This is going to be a wonderful space  :)
  • Ann likes this

Ann

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 10:59:32 AM »
I'm sewing again in the sewing room and got the sewing machines set up along with the ironing board and cutting table. The rest of the room is stacked with tubs, boxes, and bins that need to be sorted and organized. I think I will be all summer getting it done.

I need to get another cube and legs for the closet so I can organized items in there. The yarn bins need to be cleaned up which is an easy task to do. I can do it on an off day and if all goes well, wind some skeins at the same time. The notions I use on a regular basis that need to be found and organized along with the books in the library that need to be organized and put away that I will focusing on after I do the yarn. After that, I will have another look and decide.

Everything on the sewing cabinet is on the fabric rack so I can sew.

This all needs to be organized and sewn down.

I'm trying to reduce what I have so I can buy new fabric one or two projects at a time. This rack will be gone and in its place I would love a dresser.

Wish me luck as I have a lot to do. Thank goodness I am retired and can putter at it.
Stash Busting 2023

Gernella

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 11:00:16 AM »
Fantastic @Ann, my sewing room is 17ft long but only around 9ft wide :(   Your 25ft must make it humongous  and I'm drooling.

I'll just settle for your crew, I could do with a sort out and move around ;)
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ann

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 12:48:28 PM »
Fantastic @Ann, my sewing room is 17ft long but only around 9ft wide :(   Your 25ft must make it humongous  and I'm drooling.

I'll just settle for your crew, I could do with a sort out and move around ;)

@Gernella, the room is humongous. I do love it as I have some zones. The main thing is it doesn't look cluttered but will look empty when I sew down the stash and that rack is gone. But I'm fine with that.

The crew did a great job of stacking everything back into the room. I didn't want them touching what is in everything as I'm fussy how items are handled. Having it in the room is a huge help.

Today's clean up will be the yarn. After it is done, I can sew. I think if I do a bit daily, I will have it under control before I know it.
Stash Busting 2023

CCL

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 13:38:14 PM »
Wonderful sewing space Ann, can't wait to see what amazing creations your tremendous skills will produce from such a great space!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 00:25:09 AM by CCL »
  • Ann likes this
A hodge podge Flickr record of my sewing project albums here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/104062052@N04/albums

Ann

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 11:22:45 AM »
I've been trying to clean up the sewing room. Oh my!! I'm over my stress threshold and there are days I hit the brick wall. But I keep telling myself it will look fabulous when done and I'll be calm and inspired.

I got one green cloth container of yarn wound and organized. I need to move on to the next container and do it. I have 4 skeins to wind in that weight of wool and it is the least full container. It wouldn't take long to do.

I have also been sorting through small containers and putting items away or into a basket as they need a home. Got the two basket that fit in the cutting table back in and four baskets done. Then I looked at the pile of tubs and quit.

I'm hoping to have an hour to sort and tidy up today before I sew. I need to continue working on the room so I will have to do a bit every day. I do need a trip to Ikea for a cube and some peg boards.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2019, 12:51:23 PM »
I've been sewing in the room for quite a while and got one big mess going. I was stacking stuff up everywhere. I was stressed and not wanting to sew. Yesterday I tackled the clean up.

I started with the doll's and got it organized in an hour. Several items had the buttons removed and put into the trash. It is well sorted now and I am happy with that.

I started cleaning up as I moved to the other end of the room. Everything was handled and put away into its right spot. I did dust as I went. The cutting table was a disaster.

It had weeks of pile up on it. I worked through the mess and got it cleaned up. I do have my cutting tools and a project on the table. I'm thrilled with it. I didn't work in the desk area as I need to replace the desk I lost. I will be doing that this coming week. DDIL gave me a 6 bin cube and I put it beside the fabric shelf. It has 3 tubs in it and I am not sure where it will go in the end. But it is not sitting in the middle of the room.

When done, I wanted to sew immediately.

I am going to be sewing down the stash with very few purchases over the next 15 months.

Once the desk arrives, I can set up that corner for jewelry making and course work. I can't wait to get this room back to where I want it to be. But, for now, I'm happy and inspired to sew. I have pushed my stress threshold back to where I am not feeling tense when I go into the room.

Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2020, 12:22:24 PM »
I spent some time in the sewing room over Christmas cleaning it up. It was a lot of work.

The reading area is where I sit to look at books, DH sits to visit with me, and cat sleeps when he needs to be consoled when over tired. The cube has yarn in it and is quite full except one bin. It is quite empty as I've knit a lot of test patterns using that wool.

The area under the window is the doll's corner. Two more dolls have been added since I took this picture. I test a lot of patterns and the bins hold the outfits I've made, along with their shoes.

The sewing machines were in for servicing but that is where I sew. We hung up the hoops for the embroidery unit for my sewing machine. It's nice to have them out and ready to use. The embroidery component stands beside the doll's cube in a red carrying case.

The ironing board is close to the machines and the cutting table. The stash is close to the cutting table with the doll's stash in the closet. Right now the cutting table is full of fabric. Some needs to be put away, other pieces are ready to be sewn this month.

This corner needs a work desk, chair and filing cabinet. I need to get it at Ikea. With the weather being crappy, I've put off buying it. I will get there one day.

My goal over the next two years is to sew down the stash and remove the shelving unit. I would love to have a dresser that will hold the stash. Yes, a tiny fabric stash is the order of the day. The same goes for the yarn. I keep working on it and try not to buy extra yarn unless it is for a "now" project.
Stash Busting 2023

Helen M

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2020, 12:47:33 PM »
Your sewing space is so nice Ann, I'm envious!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55