The Sewing Place

Wallpapering table

jintie

Wallpapering table
« on: May 21, 2019, 07:01:59 AM »
Are they suitable for cutting out fabric?
Rottweiler with scissors

toileandtrouble

Re: Wallpapering table
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 07:35:33 AM »
Can be a bit wonky. I have used mine but it is not perfectly flat in the middle. It is a bit narrow too. I found a patch of paste left on !  I have a folding composite picnic table which is a similar length and a bit wider. Still not perfect but better than crawling on the floor, but I sometimes resort to that if I have to juggle to fit them on the fabric
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 07:42:30 AM »
The only wallpapers tables I've encountered were very flimsy and narrow and had quite rough edges and corners.  I wouldn't have wanted to use one for cutting out.  A better bet would be a high density plastic table with steel legs -  the type used by people for boot sales or catering functions. 
Life's too short for ironing.

jintie

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 09:05:49 AM »
Thanks for all the info.
Rottweiler with scissors

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 09:34:53 AM »
I used one of the plastic folding picnic type tables to sew on when I visited one of the local Islands for a women’s crafting session recently. It was sturdy enough but not especially tall. I think you can buy them for around £40.

I sometimes use my kitchen island as it’s an old painted pine farmhouse island unit and stands a bit higher than my sewing table.

Surest1tch

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 17:35:16 PM »
I didn't think the one I got was any use, it wobbled, dipped in the middle and nearly put my back in spasm because it was so low (although I am 6' tall).

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 18:49:38 PM »
Wallpapering tables are semi-disposable and you definitely can't lean on them.  I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that if you can't have a permanent cutting table (and who in a domestic setting can, other than stately home owners?) then a couple of trestles and a plywood or MDF top with trestle-controlling bars underneath are probably the way to go.  A quick Google of plank and trestles threw up this example:

https://bowerbirdinteriors.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/plank-and-trestle1.jpg

The principal constraint is that it needs to be light enough for you to lift the top off, and you still need somewhere to store the top against a wall or under the stairs or something.  But if you can get the trestles made for you then you can specify your own height and wave goodbye to backache from leaning over a dining table and sore knees from crawling around the floor.