The Sewing Place

Anyone know what this is?

wrenkins

Anyone know what this is?
« on: May 22, 2019, 10:09:30 AM »
What is this and should I buy it?  :loveit:
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

StitchinTime

Re: Anyone know what this is?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 10:18:16 AM »
I think it is a Singer 128 (the 3/4 size version of a 127). There's an instruction book available on the Ismacs website, but this might be for an earlier model that doesn't have the tension release lever.

I think you can use standard needles with it but it takes long bobbins rather than round bobbins.

Elnnina

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 10:23:20 AM »
Oh go on wrenkins, join me in exploring the vintage world.

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 10:26:07 AM »
It's a sewing machine, and yes you should!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

StitchinTime

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 10:31:40 AM »
Ignore the cries of the enablers for now.  :devil:

Does the handle turn freely and the needle bar move up and down?
Can you raise and lower the presser foot?
Is there a bobbin case and bobbin with it (you will need to slide open the front cover and maybe turn the wheel to bring the bobbin case into view)?
Are there any bonus goodies such as attachments in the compartment underneath the handwheel?

If yes, then perhaps listen to the cries of the enablers  and let the :vintage: come home with you.

wrenkins

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 10:35:04 AM »
What about this one then?   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
I haven't been hands on yet but I will shortly.  :ninja:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

StitchinTime

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 10:40:07 AM »
I think this might be a Singer 99 (the 3/4 size version of a 66). This takes the round bobbins.

If you want to be certain of the exact model (and its date) you can check the serial numbers on the Ismacs website (or post details of the numbers and I will check for you).

wrenkins

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 10:47:12 AM »
Blimey SiT you're like the oracle of all things vintage!  :o
There was another one last week and the movement was as smooth as the day it came out of the shop. Clickety clack and no whirring or whining. It was very battered and I don't know if it sold but I wouldn't have the first idea how to mend or maintain it so I left it there.  :(
I'd love a treadle too but they only turn up occasionally and the belt would go round the world twice.  :S

StitchinTime

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 10:59:22 AM »
Keeping things practical (no letting the heart rule the head), the 128 model has a screw dial to adjust the stitch length which means there is no numerical setting for reference and there is no reverse option.

Depending on the age of the 99, this might have a lever for the stitch length which makes it easier to see what has been set and some later models have a reverse option as well.

When you are checking for bits and pieces, it might be worth while lifting the machine head as sometime bits are put under the machine itself.

wrenkins

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 11:05:55 AM »
I'm going to finish my elevenses and head out. I'll take more pics if I'm still interested after I see them.  :loveit: (They are veh veh pretty) and my mum is pretty sure her 15k has gone the way of all things.
She's a chucker outter!  ><
We managed to turn up the little black box and the instruction booklet but no machine as yet. (haven't checked the roofspace of the garage.)

StitchinTime

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 11:10:37 AM »
If you do end up buying either of them, please don't carry them by the handle on the case  :o

Cheesecake

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 11:13:41 AM »
Nice decals on both the 128 and 99 (I have a similar 99, unused as use other machines).  Not sure that would have been the 128’s original case, think those came later.

I have a 28 (with less ornate, added later decals) the older version of the 128 and use it for mending, adding Velcro and various other small jobs which I find it ideal for.  The long bobbins and shuttles are quite fun and holding less thread is quite useful for this type of use.

Would be lovely if you manage to find the 15k.

wrenkins

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 11:19:41 AM »
OOooo top tip about the handle. I never thought of that.  :o
I'd love more than anything to find the 15k. It's what I sewed on as a child with the knee thingy.  0_0 My dad threw nothing out but we have a nasty suspicion that he might have sold it. My mum never used it so he may well have done if he needed room in the garage!  :'(

LeilaMay

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2019, 12:25:54 PM »
You still get 15Ks around too - certainly on ebay if not at your local places.

When you say "little black box" did you mean a metal tin, opens on a hinge in the middle, purple inside with spaces for things?
This would be what's now known as a crackle box, and desirable if you have it :)
link to Helen Howes page - empty boxes on this page, filled boxes if you follow her link

http://www.helenhowes-sewingmachines.co.uk/boxes.html
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 12:27:27 PM by LeilaMay »

LeilaMay

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2019, 12:29:55 PM »
The belt on a treadle machine can be replaced - Helen has those too - so don't let that put you off :)