The Sewing Place

Knitting For The Dolls

Lowena

Re: Knitting For The Dolls
« Reply #105 on: March 21, 2022, 16:41:33 PM »
Thanks for the information @Ann it is a very interesting journey and you are clearly very talented to work in such a small scale.  :flower:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ann

« Reply #106 on: March 23, 2022, 20:53:41 PM »
Thank you @Lowena. One thing I notice when sewing for the dolls how much pinching I do with my fingers to hold the small pieces in place until I pin them. I will also adjust until I'm happy. Most of the items I make, I do a lot of flat sewing. Hems are done before side seams are sewn unless you are hand sewing them in place. Slightly changing the order of how you sew can make a huge difference in how easy it is to sew certain seams.  With knitting, it is less stitches and paying attention to the instructions.

I made a cute dress to go with a sweater set I knit. It certainly compliments the set. The sweater set I tested over a year ago and have made it a couple of times since. It is quick and easy and cute.

Now I'm knitting socks for DDIL. When they are done, I'll knit another doll's item.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Ann

« Reply #107 on: October 14, 2022, 11:52:18 AM »
With DH's health declining, I put away my knitting needles after I tested this simple pattern for a friend. I spent all my time with him until he passed away in September.

I have since picked up my knitting needles and have completed this test pattern for another friend. I am finding knitting helps pass the evenings and I also feel productive.

This pattern is still in the testing stage but I'm hoping she will get it published soon. I do enjoy testing for her.
Stash Busting 2023

Celia

« Reply #108 on: October 14, 2022, 11:56:57 AM »
They are beautiful I particularly like the second one and so well knitted.

I am actually envious of you being able to knit these lovely things for a purpose if you know what I mean.  I often see things and do knit them but it’s not always easy to find a home for them.

I also find knitting helps me

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2022, 12:38:24 PM »
Your doll's outfits are always beautiful @Ann.  I’d like the grey cardigan myself! :)

Ann

« Reply #110 on: October 17, 2022, 11:22:57 AM »
@Ohsewsimple, I'd love a cardigan like the grey one myself.

I finally finished the shawl and it was a bigger knit than I expected. Small needles and fine yarn and the fact I wanted it to be long enough to wrap around under the doll's arms. The shawl took 50 grams of sock yarn.

The centre back has an interesting increase that I loved the effect it made.

I'm knitting socks at the moment and am not sure what I will knit once they are done. It will be for the dolls as I am alternating doll clothes with socks. Trying to keep it interesting.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #111 on: November 09, 2022, 13:34:20 PM »
I finished another test pattern for the same designer as the grey one. This one was a challenge as I was scatter brained while doing it. But the end result is really quite a nice, well fitting sweater.

I have started another sweater and have given that designer an idea for her next pattern. Such great fun to be back to testing. I'm trying to do only a couple of patterns and then back to socks. I will have lots of time to knit as I will be helping with DS's care after he has surgery tomorrow.
Stash Busting 2023

coffeeandcake

« Reply #112 on: November 09, 2022, 15:43:31 PM »
That's a very nice sweater @Ann.  I would like one the same. :)

Cazlyn

« Reply #113 on: November 10, 2022, 07:50:18 AM »
A lovely sweater @Ann   I hope your DS recovers quickly after surgery x
  • Ann likes this
Crafting is my happy place

Ann

« Reply #114 on: January 12, 2023, 13:33:18 PM »
Things are moving along here. DS is now taking physio for his shoulder and is doing well. Hurrah for that.

I've been knitting most evenings and made this coat/sweater and beret twice. Once too small and this time the fit is great.

The pattern is Braemar and can be bought at Ravelry. I had to go up one needle size even though my tension was perfect on the size of needles required. My tension probably changed when doing the pattern stitches though I thought they were okay.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #115 on: March 04, 2023, 12:14:47 PM »
I got another sweater knit for the dolls. This is another test pattern. A quick knit with a delightful pattern at the yoke and hem.

I have half a tam knit but wait and see if I need to redo it on larger needles. The designer of the tam pattern is a loose knitter and I struggle with tension on some of her patterns, especially the hats.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #116 on: September 05, 2023, 12:07:44 PM »
I haven't knit much for the dolls lately. I decided to start an outfit in June and finally finished it yesterday. The sweater was done in fairly good time but I knit the leggings twice. They were too short in the body the first time. I didn't knit for days on end as it was humid and I was fighting to keep the house cool and lower the humidity at the same time. I finally figured it out.

The outfit is from a pattern that is free on Ravelry and for Gotz dolls. I didn't do the crochet trim as I am terrible at crocheting. The next time I would knit the sleeves and body longer.

I bought the yarn years ago and then didn't make the outfit for some unknown reason. I think it was due to the fact I was testing patterns and had no time for my own knitting. I do test a pattern or two yearly now and have started to enjoy knitting again for the dolls choosing patterns I want to knit.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #117 on: September 22, 2023, 12:48:08 PM »
I knit another outfit for the dolls. This time I used up the yarn left over from DD's vest. I made items I had knit before. The dress knit up fine but the coat was a beast. It was suppose to fit the slim dolls but somehow it came out huge. I knit to gauge so am not sure what happened.

I have started to knit myself a vest so doll knitting has been set aside for now. I also need to knit DGS a pair of wool socks for Christmas. I need to find yarn for them as I need 2 skeins for his and DDIL's socks.
Stash Busting 2023