The Sewing Place

Knitting For The Dolls

Ann

Re: Knitting For The Dolls
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2019, 12:36:17 PM »
The test pattern for a private individual is complete and it quite cute. It fits well which is what I like.

I'm working on another one and am almost finished the second sleeve. This one has cables.

Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Ann

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2019, 22:33:41 PM »
Another outfit done and this one is cute.

I'm going to be one happy camper when the yarn I have been using for testing is gone. I'm not a huge fan of it but the price was good. Once gone, I will buy some nicer yarn to knit with.

Stash Busting 2023

Celia

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2019, 09:20:47 AM »
They are lovely, it’s not easy knitting with yarn you don’t like, you deserve better
  • Ann likes this

Ann

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2019, 10:21:44 AM »
@Celia, thank you for your kind words. I will use up the yarn as much as I dislike it. If the designer keeps pumping out the patterns using that size wool, it will be gone before I know it. If not, the full balls will go to goodwill next spring.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2019, 21:34:16 PM »
I got another sweater set knit and used the same Downton Abbey yarn as before but the blue.

I went down a needle size and it fits the doll perfectly.  Now back knitting hats.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2019, 16:58:56 PM »
Another sweater using the Downton Abbey yarn. This time in grey. Cute pattern with two types of cables.

The stash of Down Abbey yarn is getting smaller. I have a hat to knit to go with this sweater and I may knit mittens also.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2019, 15:12:42 PM »
Hat is finished and photos taken.

I do like this set.
Stash Busting 2023

coffeeandcake

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2019, 18:47:39 PM »
I think the knitting you do for the dolls is absolutely lovely @Ann. I wish my daughters were still little :loveit:
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 07:54:51 AM by coffeeandcake »

Ann

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2019, 20:58:35 PM »
@coffeeandcake, our DD is in her 40's and we don't have a DGD. I do this for fun and may end up having to sell the excess. And, thank you for kind words about my knitting.
Stash Busting 2023

b15erk

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2019, 11:28:34 AM »
Just love these outfits Ann!  One day I'll get the time and patience to clothe the dollies I bought in the summer!

Do you use any particular patterns? Or do you write your own?

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ann

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2019, 10:38:04 AM »
@b15erk, thank you for the lovely words. Sorry I'm so long at answering as I haven't checked this thread.

I am a pattern tester for Pixie Faire (doll clothes sewn and knit) plus for a private individual. I enjoy knitting with finer yarn vs sport weight yarn but each weight has its own purpose. I have found that most (not all) North American's use a sports weight yarn as it is fast and quite readily available. The lighter weight yarn is slower to knit but I love the results. I have patterns using sock yarn but the last 4 I've knit are in a bit heavier yarn. It seems to be easier to find in the UK and South Africa and harder to find here. I bought a bunch of that weight yarn when it was discounted and have enough left for 4-5 more tests.

Have fun knitting for your dolls when you get the time. I do enjoy knitting for mine.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2019, 16:55:55 PM »
As I finished my UFO's I let myself knit a sweater and hat. Kit got to model it for me.

Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2019, 11:31:15 AM »
I've done more knitting and have finally got them photographed.

This was a test pattern and it was quite fun to knit up. I want to sew a skirt to go with it when the machines get back from servicing.

This pattern I tested quite a while ago. I made this one to perfect the fit. I am thinking one size larger needles for the hat. I'm fussy on fit.

I'm knitting a dress right now and am 2/3rds the way done it. I keep plugging away at it and hope to have it done soon.
Stash Busting 2023

Celia

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2019, 13:47:11 PM »
They look lovely, you are very good with the fit
  • Ann likes this

Ann

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2020, 11:29:57 AM »
Third time lucky with this dress. First time the fit was off. Second time I found a dropped stitch 28 rows back. This time I got it done. I had to lengthen it by knitting 11 extra rows but the length is perfect in my opinion. It needs buttons as mine are too big. I'll get them Wednesday.

I'm taking a break from knitting doll clothes and am doing a course to knit a child's sweater. It is very simple and a bit boring but it's filling my knitting needs at the moment.
Stash Busting 2023