The Sewing Place

Knitting For The Dolls

whofilets

Re: Knitting For The Dolls
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2021, 10:24:28 AM »

One of the things with American Girl dolls is that some have slightly prominent teeth. I favor the ones with no teeth showing. I only have the two AG dolls as my favorite are the Gotz Happy Kidz dolls. I have 4 of them.

Maybe you know this already but the American Girl doll Kaya isn't showing her front teeth- she is from the Nez Perce (Nimipuu) tribe and their cultural advisors informed AG that showing her teeth like that would have been seen as a sign of aggression. I think she is a beautiful doll with a subtle, calm face. Apparently the Logan doll, the boy, uses the same closed-mouth face mold.
US to UK, brought all the fabric and yarn with me

Ann

« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2021, 11:41:40 AM »
@whofilets, I saw your post quote was from 2019. I now have 12 AG dolls of which some show their teeth and some don't.

I finished another test pattern and, though not my style, it is cute. I'm sure the little girl who gets my excess doll clothes will love it.

I have finished a sweater for the Gotz dolls and am ready to sew it together. I have another sweater that needs buttons. Tonight's tasks and then I will cast on another sweater for the Gotz dolls.   
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

whofilets

« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2021, 12:46:49 PM »
I hadn't even realized how late the quote was! great work
US to UK, brought all the fabric and yarn with me

Ann

« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2021, 11:52:24 AM »
I knit the Gotz dolls an outfit using some very expensive yarn. This outfit has $32.00 worth of yarn in it. I love the pattern as it fits the dolls really well. The designer is extremely creative in her designs and patterns.

I was a bit worried that the hat would be too big but it fits to perfection. I did it in 2 colors also.

I have cast on a different sweater for these dolls using the same yarn in red. I got 7 rows knit and am happy with the look and feel of the yarn. I have to go up a needle size with this designer. She is a looser knitter than I am.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2021, 10:33:48 AM »
Another sweater is done and I'm pleased with it.

I'm knitting another sweater at the moment for the AG dolls and then I'm not sure what I am going to do. I need to order yarn and it is the first time in many years that I've had to pay full price for it.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2021, 10:33:13 AM »
I don't often knit a test pattern twice in a short period of time but I did this one. The skirt is the same one in both pictures.

I made the sweater in blue and wasn't happy with it. It didn't go with the grey in my opinion.

When I finished it, I said I wouldn't knit the pattern again. I had a mistake and it bugged me. So much so, I frogged the blue sweater and knit the pink one. This one I like a lot more. It goes with the grey skirt.

I am now taking a break from knitting until I get a book read.
Stash Busting 2023

Marniesews

« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2021, 15:08:50 PM »
I've not checked out your knitting page for a while so you've several more lovely things to look at here.  :loveit:

I'm reminded of what I can't do of course, but perhaps I enjoy looking at yours even more for that!  I often find the greatest pleasure in the details and that green hat is absolutely lovely with the diagonal rib across the front band. Very nice indeed. The garment it goes with looks very complex. You may tell me it's just the contrast of textured stitches and colours, although I doubt that.  ;)

As for your recent colour combinations, heather and grey make a wonderful combination but I love the blue colour and the grey might not be as perfect for it but I really wouldn't say it doesn't go together.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Ann

« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2021, 13:01:05 PM »
@Marniesews, thank you for the lovely words on the outfits I've knit.

The green and grey outfit isn't complex but I had to sit and talk myself through every row so I wouldn't make a mistake (of which I did and had to fix them). But it was worth it as I do love the outfit. I, too, love the diagonal rib across the band on the hat. The red hat is the same pattern just done in one color.

The grey, blue and heather yarn are suppose to go together. There was a soft white color also. The blue goes with the grey but I just like the heather/grey combo better.

There have been no new patterns out for knitting so I'm taking a break and want to cast on a sweater for the doll's I've been wanting to knit again. Hopefully it will happen next week.
Stash Busting 2023

toileandtrouble

« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2021, 21:31:52 PM »
Beginning of the year I knitted a rugby shirt type sweater for my doll,  to use up some variegated yarn.  I thought it would be easy to make trousers to go with it. When I went to find fabric for some trousers I discovered I was wrong. It doesn't look good with anything. 
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Ann

« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2021, 11:44:24 AM »
@toileandtrouble, did you try denim? Usually denim goes with anything in my opinion. If I'm stumped when photographing something I've knit, I get out a denim colored skirt and it seems to work most times.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2021, 12:13:27 PM »
I finished another pattern (testing) and, though cute, I won't knit the top again. Maybe the skirt to go with another sweater.

I used a sock yarn in a heathered tone as I didn't have any plain colored yarn. I'm trying to use up the yarn in the stash. I'm knitting socks now to use up yarn that has too long a color run for doll clothes.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2021, 21:09:53 PM »
I knit another top for one of the dolls and will add a picture of her wearing it when I get the buttons sewn on. It is a relatively simple pattern to follow being knit from the top down. I used up the left over yarn from a pair of socks I made for her Xmas present.

It fits the doll perfectly. I have enough yarn from the above project to knit one more of these sweaters. They are great for using up those part balls of yarn.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2021, 22:13:25 PM »
 And modeled by Anna.

It's a cute pattern to knit when you have 30 grams of sock yarn left over.
Stash Busting 2023

Celia

« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2021, 11:58:53 AM »
Every time I see these knits I really want to knit them, I really can’t have another collection  :thinking:

toileandtrouble

« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2021, 11:51:11 AM »
Are you allowed to tell us the designer for the green/grey set in expensive wool?   I think I could spend all day playing with the dolls clothing. 
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m