The Sewing Place

Knitting For The Dolls

Ann

Re: Knitting For The Dolls
« Reply #90 on: September 27, 2021, 11:27:53 AM »
@toileandtrouble, the designer Deb Denair and the pattern is Best Friends. If you have a Ravelry account you can find it here. To knit for 18" dolls, I would go up a needle size as this is for the slim fitting Gotz dolls.

I finished another test pattern and am I ever happy it is done. Almost 2 weeks of knitting as often as I could on it. I am not a fan of this pattern though others like it.

The shawl is 180 rows and the jumpsuit took forever as it has a lot of rows on each leg. None of the testers finished it in the 7 day window she set and I was the last one to finish.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

toileandtrouble

« Reply #91 on: September 27, 2021, 15:34:07 PM »
@Ann Thanks for the link. I was going to puzzle out the pattern from the picture, but have just bought the pattern - much easier, and I prefer to reward the designer if I can.
  • Ann likes this
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Elnnina

« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2021, 16:01:59 PM »
Ann your dolls clothes are rather gorgeous (so are the sewn ones). 

Toileandtrouble  a few years ago I came across someone reviving the dolls clothes for the tiny Rosebud Twin dolls that were around in the 1950's, so I treated myself to several of these books and also at the time someone had reproduced all the original knitting patterns for these dolls which used to appear in Woman's Weekly in the 50's.  So again this found its way here and I then purchased some of these old dolls and intended to knit these garments, I have not got very far, and luckily I still have a supply of the various knitting needles used back then and managed to find some really fine needles something like size 15 or 16.  I happen to machine knit, and use industrial yarns so I think I will be okay with regards getting the yarn right for these tiny garments.  At the time back in the 50's my sister and I were not allowed to have these Rosebud dolls, and in fact the tiny dolls we did have were even smaller than the Rosebud Twins and I do still have mine and I think my sister has too.  We used to enjoy knitting these sometimes quite intricate garments, and where we used to live at the time an organisation in the town held various arts and crafts exhibitions and we were encouraged to enter these and yes we won prizes sometimes it was something like 2/6d (yes two shillings and sixpence).  I even entered a pair of real baby's bootees in one of these exhibitions and won a prize and that had a proper turned heel.  My sister and I would often take our knitting with us if as a family we went out for a day to the seaside and sat in the back of the car knitting happily away - a good way to pass the time to see just how much we could achieve.

Ann

« Reply #93 on: November 25, 2021, 21:39:47 PM »
I finally got the last test pattern photographed. I did the cables wrong giving the sweater a totally different look than what the designer had called for.  :facepalm:

The fit of the sweater is great and I love the hat as it went on at jaunty angle by accident. This is for the little girl I knit and sew for as she has a boy doll in desperate need of clothes.

The picture has been lightened so you can see the cables. It has been dull and dreary here for quite a while making it hard to photograph.
Stash Busting 2023

Sewgorgeous

« Reply #94 on: November 25, 2021, 22:45:06 PM »
@Ann - Wow they are amazing!  I think your doll has more clothes than me!  :D

Ann

« Reply #95 on: November 26, 2021, 10:36:36 AM »
@Sewgorgeous, they have more clothes than I do.

I have to go through all the doll clothes and purge again. I give the extra clothes to a little girl who have 4 girl and 1 boy dolls. She loves to get the clothes and I'm happy she loves them.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #96 on: February 02, 2022, 16:27:50 PM »
I had the opportunity to test this pattern and it is quite cute. It fits well and is quite stylish. I'm sure the little girl I'm giving it to will love it.

Stash Busting 2023

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #97 on: February 02, 2022, 19:54:07 PM »
Your doll's clothes are really lovely @Ann.  One lucky little girl to get those. 

coffeeandcake

« Reply #98 on: February 02, 2022, 20:45:10 PM »
That is lovely (as always) @Ann

Celia

« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2022, 11:35:06 AM »
That is so nice, your doll knits look really well fitted which is rare for dolls clothes.

Ann

« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2022, 10:26:03 AM »
Thank you ladies. I got another top done using the same yarn, smaller needles, and a different pattern. This one fits beautifully and was a delight to knit.

Stash Busting 2023

Celia

« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2022, 11:40:12 AM »
Lovely :perfect10:

Ann

« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2022, 16:04:31 PM »
I finished a sweater set a bit ago and finally got it on the doll. I had made the jeans 4 years ago and they go perfectly with the sweater. The yarn is Lion's brand called Ice Cream and the color is Tutti Frutti.

The scarf is a cute addition to the outfit and is quite long.

I had enough yarn to make a short sleeved sweater and hat. I  have a dress to make to go with it so it should be done either later this month or early April.
Stash Busting 2023

Lowena

« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2022, 16:34:12 PM »
@Ann I am intrigued by your dolls and their wardrobes and would love to know more. However, if it's intrusive please don't bother to answer. <3
Are the dolls yours? Are they commissioned or sold? Is it a charity project? What happens to them and their clothes?
How did you get into working in miniature? It looks to be more fiddly and difficult than creating for people...even children! Finally (I promise) have you been thus occupied for long?
Many thanks  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ann

« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2022, 22:58:00 PM »
 @Lowena, I have 13 dolls; 9 are American Girl dolls and 4 are Gotz Happy Kids. The historical outfits I make, I keep. I have a selection of modern clothes I use to make outfits when modelling new items. I use to test patterns but stopped when DH’s memory issues get somewhat worse. I was having problems meeting the completion dates.

Most of the modern doll clothes I make I give to a 7 year old girl who has 5 dolls. She loves getting the clothes and I love giving them to her.

I got into dolls 6 years ago to promote patterns, fabrics, and trims at the fabric store I worked in. I just kept at it after we moved here. It’s a hobby. I love the fiddly work as it keeps me stimulated which I need. I also belong to online doll groups, my favourite group is one where we all have different types of dolls. We have fun admiring each other’s creations. I’m the only one who knits though another lady is learning.

Ask more questions if you need too.
Stash Busting 2023