The Sewing Place

Lining replacement

Heather

Lining replacement
« on: April 15, 2017, 09:01:18 AM »
I have a friend who has a gold lace dress with a black polyester lining. The lining is too tight so ahe would like it replacing with a stretch fabric. Any suggestions about the fabric to use?

b15erk

Re: Lining replacement
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 09:19:47 AM »
I would be quite careful in your choice of lining as it may make the dress very heavy (ask me how I know - go on :)) This particular dress has been waiting for the lining to be replaced for just a couple of years:)

I have a cotton Lace dress (M&S), which has a nice weight lining, a sort of light weight lycra, a bit thicker than mesh, but it doesn't make the dress to warm and heavy to wear.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Sandra

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 09:26:50 AM »
A lot of garments nowadays have a stretch lining in them.

I just searched for 'polyester stretch jersey lining' and found some possibilities on ebay which might do the job...( no black at the store I'm looking at though).

Sandra.
xxx

DementedFairy

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 09:29:59 AM »
Another useful search term is 'tricot' lining, this is the stuff used for slips etc

I've used powermesh, and I'm about to use some fineweight T shirt jersey to line my next project
C'est moi!

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 17:18:43 PM »
Minerva had some black stretch lining.

Heather

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 08:40:17 AM »
Thankyou so much ladies xx

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 10:01:55 AM »
I have a friend who has a gold lace dress with a black polyester lining. The lining is too tight so ahe would like it replacing with a stretch fabric. Any suggestions about the fabric to use?

Is the lace stretchy?  There's no point in using a stretch lining if the top fabric doesn't stretch with it.

Possible lining fabrics are tricot, stretch lining (use with caution as it will ladder) lightweight jersey or anything with a lycra content.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.