The Sewing Place

smallest overlocker

annieeg

smallest overlocker
« on: May 22, 2019, 18:33:07 PM »
Does anyone know which make of O/L is the smallest?  (i.e., takes up smallest  physical space) 8)

Ohsewsimple

Re: smallest overlocker
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 18:52:56 PM »
@annieeg the basic overlockers are generally on a par with each other as regards size.  Don’t let that be your deciding factor.   :)

jintie

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 20:06:27 PM »
I had a small overlocker, it worked ok, but in action wandered all over the table.

Rottweiler with scissors

Morgan

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 17:44:57 PM »
I still have my Small Bernina - the first o/l I ever bought back when it wasn't that easy to find overlockers for the domestic market.  I still use it alongside the Big Babylock.  The little Bernina still does a much nicer rolled edge on fine fabrics than the Babylock does.

anyway, this Juki MO654DE is pretty much the same as my little Bernina except it now has the additional advantage of a 2 thread feature.  you can see how small it is in the video here.  (The 2 thread wrapped edge feature is an excellent stitch for finishing seam allowance edges because it's economical with thread).   I've seen this JUKI machine in action and used one a couple of times.  It does a great job with light - midweight fabrics.  It really does punch well above it's size and weight for the money and one reason is the top mounted cutting knife which enables the machine to handle thicker layers compared with similar powered machines with bottom mounted hook knives.  the drive mechanism seems not to have to work as hard on models with top mounted knives.
In the past I have used my little machine for a couple of heavy jobs, but I was careful and helped the machine along.

the key difference between small and larger machines is the power of the motor.  More powerful motors enable a machine to pull through and cut heftier tough fabrics and layers.

(and you know what - that Juki MO654DE costs less now than my little Bernina back in 1983, now that was a surprise.  I remember saving for a couple years back then to get it)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 02:25:10 AM by Morgan »

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 19:08:06 PM »
Yes my first Bernina o/locker was around £450.

Radiofan

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 23:10:52 PM »
I have a Singer S14-78, sometimes referred to as the Lidl overlocker. It's inexpensive, small, easy to thread and has suckers on the bottom to keep it in place. There are some good YouTube videos on it.

I did have to oil it and there are some tricks to using it, but great value overall. I don't see them getting much smaller than this model.
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

bessc

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 06:24:08 AM »
I have a Bernina 800dl overlock, which may be the same model as what Morgan has. I can compare lots of other brands to my machine. I've obviously used and looked at too many sergers!

The B800 is considered a "basic" overlock, and it is what I would consider more or less "standard size". Specs: 40x37x34 cm.  The trend, since I got my machine, has been towards larger, heavier, more powerful motors, and lots of fancy extras.

The Bernina 800dl is no longer in production, but you could probably find one used. The Bernina 1150, also no longer in production, is slightly larger (and more expensive at the time) but a much nicer machine.  Berninas 1200 and 1300 are bigger. (and out of production?) The current Berninas L450 &-460 are hugh, massive. Take at least twice the space of my machine, if not more. If you own a Bernina 800 series sewing machine, one of these newer sergers and a coverstitch you also need a really big sewing space...like the size of a double garage would work nicely.

The Juki 635, 644, 645 are all pretty much the same as the Bernina800. Made in the same plant in Asia, most parts are interchangeable. (I ended up with the Bernina because I got a deal and it was much easier for me to get serviced.) If you really need a small overlocker, the way to go is to find a Juki model that is older than this series of machines. They will all be smaller; some will be quite small. (This is based on size, not price, nor availability!)  The older Jukis were made for semi-professional use, in alteration shops and dry cleaners. They are good solid, somewhat ugly machines, with NO frills. They were made for abuse and hard work, like old Singers, so you can't kill them. Check that you can cope with the threading and lighting, as there is no hand holding built into these machines.

Babylocks are all much larger than my machine. Nicer, too!
Janome ...I don't know much about, but they are basically same as Elna, and same or slightly larger than my machine.
Huskylocks and Singer, slightly larger.
Brother might have a few slightly smaller machines, and lots of folks like them, or like the price. I don't like the position of the control levers and knobs, but Bernina does and made their newest models to match Brother layout.

All modern overlockers at the entry level price range will all be about the same size. The only really small overlockers that I've ever seen are the older semi-pro Jukis.

wrenkins

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 07:41:48 AM »
I'm afraid I know little to nothing about different brands and marvellousness of overlockers but having measured my Janome 9300dx I find that it is approximately 12" square.
Not very big at all.  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

bessc

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 10:18:43 AM »
agree with wrenkins. 12x12x12 inch also works for me, ballpark. I measured my machine and the official specs run big.

annieeg

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 10:25:56 AM »
Thank so much for all the helpful responses.
@Morgan - it looks like the Juki 654 is really the machine to go for, and there's a really helpful threading guide video on YT.
(I'll start saving up :ninja:)
@bessc Thank you for your very informative post.
 :)
Annie

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 10:31:37 AM »
I have the 'Lidl' overlocker too, and it's OK.  Easy to use, and a good quality stitch.  Didn't break the bank either.  The Pfaff combi I have at home is slightly larger, but does a lot more than the Singer.  That's reflected in the price.

Both have a good quality stitch, are easy to use, and not massively big.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.