The Sewing Place

Pattern Copying

NatalieSews

Pattern Copying
« on: May 22, 2019, 21:28:18 PM »
I have dropped on to an amazing listing on gumtree and managed to bag myself a BOX of early nineties patterns and there are some from a BBC sewing show.!!!

For free!!

They were moving house (down sizing) and husband didn't want to take it to new home.

Sooo... I want to copy them as they are all uncut too! So how do I go about copying them and sharing them as they are all vintage 1990-1980 patterns?
 :vintage: :vintage: :vintage: :vintage:

Efemera

Re: Pattern Copying
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 21:32:31 PM »
I think they will be under copyright so you can’t copy and share... good find though.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 21:52:53 PM »
They are definitely still in copyright, and will be until 70 years after the death of the designer.
https://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p01_uk_copyright_law
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 22:14:18 PM »
Ooh definitely a no no. 
But have to laugh at the 'vintage' description.   :). I have loads from the 70's that I made and wore.  But you are so much younger than me.  Makes me feel old.

Missie

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 07:40:34 AM »
But have to laugh at the 'vintage' description.   :). I have loads from the 70's that I made and wore. 

The technical description of "Vintage" is that it is more than 20 years old, or belonging to the previous generation!

jintie

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 07:47:00 AM »
You can use your window as a light table to trace patterns- blu tack on the pattern sheet and lay see through paper on top. The lines will show through.
Rottweiler with scissors

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 08:41:36 AM »
@jintie that is genius. I only have a dark work surface and have to cover it with white stuff before I can see anything.
French doors here I come!  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

aprilla

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 09:05:35 AM »
I used to have large windows and copied using that method but now, with small windows, I copy my pattern table top by using large format paper, carbon paper and tracing wheel.
I wrote about the paper already, somewhere. It's a large roll 90gsm and 600mm x 50 metres and cost me €19 if I remember correctly. I got it from a local printers. Butcher paper might do the job too, if easier to source.
If the french windows don't work out this way might suit you, you could do a lot of tracing but only need to cut out when you want to use something.

I've been storing the cut patterns by punching with a single punch and threading a treasury tag through, clipping that to a hanger. A sortof cheap, using what I had, version of how I see patterns being stored. So far it's working ok.

Great find, especially uncut... enjoy :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 09:09:29 AM by aprilla »

Sewingsue

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 09:08:56 AM »

I've been storing the cut patterns by punching with a single punch and threading a treasury tag through, clipping that to a hanger. A sortof cheap, using what I had, version of how I see patterns being stored. So far it's working ok.
That sounds like a good idea.
Fingers crossed I didn't chuck that box of treasury tags the last time I had a 'tidy up'.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 09:22:02 AM »
Ooh definitely a no no. 
But have to laugh at the 'vintage' description.   :). I have loads from the 70's that I made and wore.  But you are so much younger than me.  Makes me feel old.

I agree. I think of 20 years as simply Retro and Vintage to me is something around 40 years or older.
The 80’s surely can’t be vintage....No,No,No!  :S

aprilla

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2019, 09:29:11 AM »
That sounds like a good idea.
Fingers crossed I didn't chuck that box of treasury tags the last time I had a 'tidy up'.

LOL As soon as you get rid of something you'll think of a handy use for it... too true. I just keep stuff, the carbon paper is from when I was learning typing... around the 80s oh dear!
My plan with this pattern storage plan was to gather a handful of wire hangers next time local shop had them to take away free. Then I'd use the hook part of them, with the tags, to hang the patterns. So the clips are an interim measure that could last forever, the shop hasn't offered hangers since I thought of this.

Kwaaked

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2019, 09:43:00 AM »
I copy with art transfer sheets onto plain news print.  NP is just as sturdy as that tissue.  https://www.dickblick.com/products/richeson-transfer-paper/

Storing, I have the pattern punch and the pattern hooks.  I got the punch from a supplier of mine (it's a pattern punch and notcher all in one) as a gift since they were starting to carry them for a review and the hooks on ebay, although they have a webshop.

NatalieSews

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2019, 12:43:14 PM »
Oh copyright! DARN it!

As well apologies if my use of the word vintage is making some feel old, that wasn't my intention and I did not know that
The technical description of "Vintage" is that it is more than 20 years old, or belonging to the previous generation!
That means I'm vintage then, being 28.

So can I, copy them for me and then send then on to maybe you guys once I have?

Is that the same as copyright? Am I still being naughty? Because money is not changing hands so surely I'm not at breech.

Holly Berry

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2019, 13:44:06 PM »
That would be breaching copyright. You have the right to copy things for your own use, but you cannot distribute the copies to others. You could use them yourself sell them on but it would need to be the complete product.

I also saw on the .Gov website re copyright, that if you trace a pattern for your own use, then sell/give away the pattern at a later date, you must destroy your traced copy.

The other thing you can’t do is make a 2D copy from a 3D copy. ie if you have a RTW garment you like, you can’t make a pattern from it, even for your own use.
Procrastination get behind me

jintie

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2019, 13:48:14 PM »
Once you get rid, you think of a use. So true! I just stopped myself clearing out my hoard of plastic veg nets (come with lemons etc) when I thought I could use them in bunting as a layer under fabric flags.
Rottweiler with scissors